- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 151872, 6 pages
Quality of Life in Parkinson's Disease Caregivers: The Contribution of Personality Traits
Parkinson's Disease Research Clinic, Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Received 10 April 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013
Academic Editor: Alfredo Conti
Copyright © 2013 Eloise H. Tew et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Alves, E. B. Forsaa, K. F. Pedersen, M. Dreetz Gjerstad, and J. P. Larsen, “Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 255, supplement 5, pp. 18–32, 2008.
- J. M. Glozman, “Quality of life of caregivers,” Neuropsychology Review, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 183–196, 2004.
- B. Thommessen, D. Aarsland, A. Braekhus, A. R. Oksengaard, K. Engedal, and K. Laake, “The psychosocial burden on spouses of the elderly with stroke, dementia and Parkinson's disease,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2002.
- J. H. Carter, B. J. Stewart, P. G. Archbold et al., “Living with a person who has Parkinson's disease: the spouse's perspective by stage of disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 20–28, 1998.
- F. O'Reilly, F. Finnan, S. Allwright, G. D. Smith, and Y. Ben-Shlomo, “The effects of caring for a spouse with Parkinson's disease on social, psychological and physical well-being,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 46, no. 410, pp. 507–512, 1996.
- S. H. Zarit, P. A. Todd, and J. M. Zarit, “Subjective burden of husbands and wives as caregivers: a longitudinal study,” The Gerontologist, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 260–266, 1986.
- P. Martínez-Martín, M. J. Forjaz, B. Frades-Payo, et al., “Caregiver burden in Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 924–931, 2007.
- A. Schrag, A. Hovris, D. Morley, N. Quinn, and M. Jahanshahi, “Caregiver-burden in Parkinson's disease is closely associated with psychiatric symptoms, falls, and disability,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2006.
- P. Martínez-Martín, S. Arroyo, J. M. Rojo-Abuin et al., “Burden, perceived health status, and mood among caregivers of Parkinson's disease patients,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1673–1680, 2008.
- L. R. Goldberg, “An alternative “description of personality”: the big-five factor structure,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1216–1229, 1990.
- C. S. Carver and J. Connor-Smith, “Personality and coping,” Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 61, pp. 679–704, 2010.
- C. Wrosch and M. F. Scheier, “Personality and quality of life: the importance of optimism and goal adjustment,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. 59–72, 2003.
- J. M. Malouff, E. B. Thorsteinsson, and N. S. Schutte, “The relationship between the five-factor model of personality and symptoms of clinical disorders: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 2005.
- P. Steel, J. Schmidt, and J. Shultz, “Refining the relationship between personality and subjective well-being,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 138–161, 2008.
- K. Hooker, D. J. Monahan, S. R. Bowman, L. D. Frazier, and K. Shifren, “Personality counts for a lot: predictors of mental and physical health of spouse caregivers in two disease groups,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 73–85, 1998.
- G. Melo, J. Maroco, and A. de Mendonça, “Influence of personality on caregiver's burden, depression and distress related to the BPSD,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1275–1282, 2011.
- C. E. Löckenhoff, P. R. Duberstein, B. Friedman, and P. T. Costa, “Five-factor personality traits and subjective health among caregivers: the role of caregiver strain and self-efficacy,” Psychology and Aging, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 592–604, 2011.
- M. Abendroth, B. J. Lutz, and M. E. Young, “Family caregivers' decision process to institutionalize persons with Parkinson's disease: a grounded theory study,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 445–454, 2012.
- B. Goldsworthy and S. Knowles, “Caregiving for Parkinson's disease patients: an exploration of a stress-appraisal model for quality of life and burden,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. P372–P376, 2008.
- B. Rammstedt and O. P. John, “Measuring personality in one minute or less: a 10-item short version of the big five inventory in English and German,” Journal of Research in Personality, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 203–212, 2007.
- “What quality of life? the WHOQOL group. World health organization quality of life assessment,” World Health Forum, vol. 17, pp. 354–356, 1996.
- S. M. Skevington, M. Lotfy, and K. A. O'Connell, “The World health organization's WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment: psychometric properties and results of the international field trial. A report from the WHOQOL group,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 299–310, 2004.
- A. S. Zigmond and R. P. Snaith, “The hospital anxiety and depression scale,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 361–370, 1983.
- M. M. Hoehn and M. D. Yahr, “Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality,” Neurology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 427–442, 1967.
- Y. Jang, O. J. Clay, D. L. Roth, W. E. Haley, and M. S. Mittelman, “Neuroticism and longitudinal change in caregiver depression: impact of a spouse-caregiver intervention program,” The Gerontologist, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 311–317, 2004.
- L. E. I. A'Campo, E. M. Wekking, N. G. A. Spliethoff-Kamminga, S. le Cessie, and R. A. C. Roos, “The benefits of a standardized patient education program for patients with Parkinson's disease and their caregivers,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 89–95, 2010.
- K. Hooker, L. D. Frazier, and D. J. Monahan, “Personality and coping among caregivers of spouses with dementia,” The Gerontologist, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 386–392, 1994.
- G. F. Duncan and P. Rositano, “Parkinson's disease in regional Australia,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 11, no. 4, article 1658, 2011.
- D. G. MacMahon, “Parkinson's disease nurse specialists: an important role in disease management,” Neurology, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. S21–S25, 1999.
- B. Hurwitz, B. Jarman, A. Cook, and M. Bajekal, “Scientific evaluation of community-based Parkinson's disease nurse specialists on patient outcomes and health care costs,” Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2005.