- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 152656, 5 pages
Clinical Profile and Outcome of Japanese Encephalitis in Children Admitted with Acute Encephalitis Syndrome
1Regional Medical Research Centre, ICMR, Northeast Region, P.O. Box No. 105, Dibrugarh, Assam 786 001, India
2Department of Community Medicine, Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh Assam 786002, India
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 2 October 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Patrizia Bagnarelli
Copyright © 2013 Gitali Kakoti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Potula, S. Badrinath, and S. Srinivasan, “Japanese encephalitis in and around Pondicherry, south India: a clinical appraisal and prognostic indicators for the outcome,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2003.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Question and answer about Japanese Encephalitis,” March 2013, http://www.cdc.gov/japaneseencephalitis/qa/index.html.
- World Health Organization (WHO), “Immunization, vaccines and biological,” March 2013, http://www.who.int/immunization/topics/japanese_encephalitis/en/index.html.
- World Health Organization, “Japanese encephalitis vaccines,” The Weekly Epidemiological Record, vol. 81, pp. 331–340, 2006.
- D. W. Vaughn and C. H. Hoke Jr., “The epidemiology of Japanese encephalitis: prospects for prevention,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 14, pp. 197–221, 1992.
- A. Henderson, C. J. Leake, and D. S. Burke, “Japanese encephalitis in Nepal,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8363, pp. 1359–1360, 1983.
- N. Arunachalam, R. Rajendran, P. P. Samual, et al., “Studies on Japanese encephalitis in Kurnool district, Andhra Pradesh,” CRME Annual Report.
- P. Dutta, S. A. Khan, A. M. Khan, J. Borah, C. K. Sarmah, and J. Mahanta, “The effect of Insecticide-Treated Mosquito Nets (ITMNs) on Japanese encephalitis virus seroconversion in pigs and humans,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 466–472, 2011.
- S. B. Halstead and C. R. Grosz, “Subclinical Japanese encephalitis: infection of Americans with limited residence in Korea,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 190–201, 1962.
- C. H. Huang, “Studies of Japanese encephalitis in China,” Advances in Virus Research, vol. 27, pp. 71–101, 1982.
- R. Kumar, A. Mathur, A. Kumar, G. D. Sethi, S. Sharma, and U. C. Chaturvedi, “Virological investigations of acute encephalopathy in India,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 1227–1230, 1990.
- S. B. Halstead, “Japanese encephalitis,” in Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, R. M. Kliegman, R. E. Behrman, H. B. Jenson, and B. F. Stanton, Eds., pp. 1410–1411, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2007.
- T. Solomon, T. T. Thao, P. Lewthwaite et al., “A cohort study to assess the new WHO Japanese encephalitis surveillance standards,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 178–186, 2008.
- A. Rayamajhi, R. Singh, R. Prasad, B. Khanal, and S. Singhi, “Study of Japanese encephalitis and other viral encephalitis in Nepali children,” Pediatrics International, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 978–984, 2007.
- T. Solomon, N. M. Dung, R. Kneen et al., “Seizures and raised intracranial pressure in Vietnamese patients with Japanese encephalitis,” Brain, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1084–1093, 2002.
- D. A. Gadkari and B. H. Shaikh, “IgM antibody capture ELISA in the diagnosis of Japanese encephalitis, west Nile & dengue virus infections,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 80, pp. 613–619, 1984.
- N. Sathish, D. J. Manayani, V. Shankar, M. Abraham, G. Nithyanandam, and G. Sridharan, “Comparison of IgM capture ELISA with a commercial rapid immunochromatographic card test & IgM microwell ELISA for the detection of antibodies to dengue viruses,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 115, pp. 31–36, 2002.
- “Fourth Biregional Meeting on the Control of Japanese Encephalitis (JE): Report of the Meeting Bangkok, Thailand, 7-8 June 2009,” Tech. Rep., WHO, Regional Office for South-East Asia, 2010.
- D. Ghosh and A. Basu, “Japanese encephalitis—a pathological and clinical perspective,” PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 3, no. 9, article e437, 2009.
- J. Borah, P. Dutta, S. A. Khan, and J. Mahanta, “A comparison of clinical features of Japanese encephalitis virus infection in the adult and pediatric age group with Acute Encephalitis syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2011.
- P. Dutta, S. A. Khan, J. Borah, and J. Mahanta, “Demographic and clinical features of patients with dengue in northeastern region of India: a retrospective cross-sectional study during 2009–2011,” Journal of Virology & Microbiology, vol. 2012, Article ID 786298, 11 pages, 2012.
- S. A. Khan, P. Dutta, A. M. Khan et al., “West Nile virus infection, Assam, India,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 947–948, 2011.
- L. Kabilan, S. Ramesh, S. Srinivasan, V. Thenmozhi, S. Muthukumaravel, and R. Rajendran, “Hospital- and laboratory-based investigations of hospitalized children with central nervous system-related symptoms to assess Japanese encephalitis virus etiology in Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, India,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2813–2815, 2004.
- R. Kumar, P. Tripathi, S. Singh, and G. Bannerji, “Clinical features in children hospitalized during the 2005 epidemic of Japanese encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh, India,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 2006.
- K.-M. Chen, H.-C. Tsai, C.-L. Sy et al., “Clinical manifestations of Japanese encephalitis in southern Taiwan,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 296–302, 2009.
- K. S. Avabratha, P. Sulochana, G. Nirmala, B. Vishwanath, M. Veerashankar, and K. Bhagyalakshmi, “Japanese encephalitis in children in Bellary Karnataka: clinical profile and Sequelae,” International Journal of Biomedical Research, vol. 3, no. 02, pp. 100–105, 2012.
- M. Gourie-Devi, “Clinical aspects and experience in the management of Japanese encephalitis patients,” in Proceeding of the National Conference on Japenese Encephalitis, pp. 25–29, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, India, 1984.
- Y. C. Wu, Y. S. Huang, L. J. Chien, et al., “The epidemiology of Japanese encephalitis in Taiwan during 1996-1997,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 61, pp. 78–84, 1999.
- D. S. Burke, W. Lorsomrudee, and C. J. Leake, “Fatal outcome in Japanese encephalitis,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1203–1210, 1985.
- R. Kumar, A. Mathur, A. Kumar, S. Sharma, S. Chakraborty, and U. C. Chaturvedi, “Clinical features and prognostic indicators of Japanese encephalitis in children in Lucknow (India),” Indian Journal of Medical Research A, vol. 91, pp. 321–327, 1990.
- S. K. Klein, D. L. Horn, M. R. Anderson, A. T. Latrizza, and P. Toltzis, “Predictive factors of short-term neurologic outcome in children with encephalitis,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 308–312, 1994.