- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 157547, 10 pages
Simultaneous Quantification of Mitochondrial DNA Damage and Copy Number in Circulating Blood: A Sensitive Approach to Systemic Oxidative Stress
Department of Surgery/Division of Urology, The Research Institute of McGill University Health Center, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Room R1.107, Montreal, QC, H3G 1A4, Canada
Received 2 September 2012; Revised 12 November 2012; Accepted 13 November 2012
Academic Editor: Gurmit Singh
Copyright © 2013 Sam W. Chan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Wallace, “A mitochondrial paradigm of metabolic and degenerative diseases, aging, and cancer: a dawn for evolutionary medicine,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 39, pp. 359–407, 2005.
- J. Chen and F. Kadlubar, “Mitochondrial mutagenesis and oxidative stress in human prostate cancer,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2004.
- C. Richter, “Oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA and its relationship to ageing,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 647–653, 1995.
- S. Toyokuni, “Persistent oxidative stress in cancer,” FEBS Letters, vol. 358, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 1995.
- J. Z. Chen, N. Gokden, G. F. Greene, B. Green, and F. F. Kadlubar, “Simultaneous generation of multiple mitochondrial DNA mutations in human prostate tumors suggests mitochondrial hyper-mutagenesis,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1481–1487, 2003.
- S. W. Chan, P. N. Nguyen, D. Ayele, S. Chevalier, A. Aprikian, J. Z. Chen, et al., “Mitochondrial DNA damage is sensitive to exogenous H2O2 but independent of cellular ROS production in prostate cancer cells,” Mutation Research, vol. 716, no. 1-2, pp. 40–50, 2011.
- H. R. Griffiths, “ROS as signalling molecules in T cells2evidence for abnormal redox signalling in the autoimmune disease, rheumatoid arthritis,” Redox Report, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 273–280, 2005.
- P. J. Barnes, S. D. Shapiro, and R. A. Pauwels, “Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: molecular and cellular mechanisms,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 672–688, 2003.
- G. E. Gibson and H. M. Huang, “Oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 575–578, 2005.
- M. M. Elahi and B. M. Matata, “Functional adaptation to oxidative stress by memory T cells: an analysis of the role in the cardiovascular disease process,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 376, no. 3, pp. 445–447, 2008.
- C. L. Allen and U. Bayraktutan, “Oxidative stress and its role in the pathogenesis of ischaemic stroke,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 461–470, 2009.
- A. De Vizcaya-Ruiz, O. Barbier, R. Ruiz-Ramos, and M. E. Cebrian, “Biomarkers of oxidative stress and damage in human populations exposed to arsenic,” Mutation Research, vol. 674, no. 1-2, pp. 85–92, 2009.
- L. Lavie, L. Dyugovskaya, and A. Polyakov, “Biology of peripheral blood cells in obstructive sleep apnea—he tip of the iceberg,” Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 244–254, 2008.
- K. L. Lockett, M. C. Hall, P. E. Clark et al., “DNA damage levels in prostate cancer cases and controls,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1187–1193, 2006.
- D. J. Waters, S. Shen, H. Xu et al., “Noninvasive prediction of prostatic DNA damage by oxidative stress challenge of peripheral blood lymphocytes,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1906–1910, 2007.
- O. Yossepowitch, I. Pinchuk, U. Gur, A. Neumann, D. Lichtenberg, and J. Baniel, “Advanced but not localized prostate cancer is associated with increased oxidative stress,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 4, part 1, pp. 1238–1244, 2007.
- Q. Wei, L. Cheng, W. K. Hong, and M. R. Spitz, “Reduced DNA repair capacity in lung cancer patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 18, pp. 4103–4107, 1996.
- D. T. Saha, B. J. Davidson, A. Wang, A. J. Pollock, R. A. Orden, and R. Goldman, “Quantification of DNA repair capacity in whole blood of patients with head and neck cancer and healthy donors by comet assay,” Mutation Research, vol. 650, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 2008.
- J. Xing, M. Chen, C. G. Wood et al., “Mitochondrial DNA content: its genetic heritability and association with renal cell carcinoma,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 15, pp. 1104–1112, 2008.
- M. Y. Wu, C. S. Kuo, C. Y. Lin, C. L. Lu, and R. F. Syu Huang, “Lymphocytic mitochondrial DNA deletions, biochemical folate status and hepatocellular carcinoma susceptibility in a case-control study,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 715–721, 2009.
- C. Richter, J. W. Park, and B. N. Ames, “Normal oxidative damage to mitochondrial and nuclear DNA is extensive,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 85, no. 17, pp. 6465–6467, 1988.
- P. Mecocci, U. MacGarvey, A. E. Kaufman et al., “Oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA shows marked age-dependent increases in human brain,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 609–616, 1993.
- M. Hayakawa, T. Ogawa, S. Sugiyama, M. Tanaka, and T. Ozawa, “Massive conversion of guanosine to 8-hydroxy-guanosine in mouse liver mitochondrial DNA by administration of azidothymidine,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 1991.
- G. Colonna-Romano, A. Cossarizza, A. Aquino et al., “Age- and gender-related values of lymphocyte subsets in subjects from Northern and Southern Italy,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 99–107, 2002.
- N. Mehra, M. Penning, J. Maas, N. Van Daal, R. H. Giles, and E. E. Voest, “Circulating mitochondrial nucleic acids have prognostic value for survival in patients with advanced prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 2, part 1, pp. 421–426, 2007.
- J. Ellinger, S. C. Müller, N. Wernert, A. Von Ruecker, and P. J. Bastian, “Mitochondrial DNA in serum of patients with prostate cancer: a predictor of biochemical recurrence after prostatectomy,” BJU International, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 628–632, 2008.
- J. Ellinger, P. Albers, S. C. Müller, A. Von Ruecker, and P. J. Bastian, “Circulating mitochondrial DNA in the serum of patients with testicular germ cell cancer as a novel noninvasive diagnostic biomarker,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 48–52, 2009.
- C. S. Liu, C. S. Tsai, C. L. Kuo et al., “Oxidative stress-related alteration of the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in human leukocytes,” Free Radical Research, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1307–1317, 2003.
- C. S. Liu, C. L. Kuo, W. L. Cheng, C. S. Huang, C. F. Lee, and Y. H. Wei, “Alteration of the copy number of mitochondrial DNA in leukocytes of patients with hyperlipidemia,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1042, pp. 70–75, 2005.
- C. M. Chen, Y.-R. Wu, M.-L. Cheng, et al., “Increased oxidative damage and mitochondrial abnormalities in the peripheral blood of Huntington's disease patients,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 359, no. 2, pp. 335–340, 2007.
- J. Chen, F. F. Kadlubar, and J. Z. Chen, “DNA supercoiling suppresses real-time PCR: a new approach to the quantification of mitochondrial DNA damage and repair,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 1377–1388, 2007.
- H. C. Wu, J. T. Hsieh, M. E. Gleave, N. M. Brown, S. Pathak, and L. W. K. Chung, “Derivation of androgen-independent human LNCaP prostatic cancer cell sublines: role of bone stromal cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 406–412, 1994.
- L. Cheng, L. E. Wang, M. R. Spitz, and Q. Wei, “Cryopreserving whole blood for functional assays using viable lymphocytes in molecular epidemiology studies,” Cancer Letters, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 2001.
- A. R. Collins, A. A. Oscoz, G. Brunborg et al., “The comet assay: topical issues,” Mutagenesis, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 143–151, 2008.
- S. W. Chan and J. Z. Chen, “Measuring mtDNA damage using a supercoiling-sensitive qPCR approach,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 554, pp. 183–197, 2009.
- M. E. Gahan, F. Miller, S. R. Lewin et al., “Quantification of mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subcutaneous fat using real-time polymerase chain reaction,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 2001.
- A. Cossarizza, M. Pinti, L. Moretti et al., “Mitochondrial functionality and mitochondrial DNA content in lymphocytes of vertically infected human immunodeficiency virus-positive children with highly active antiretroviral therapy-related lipodystrophy,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 299–305, 2002.
- J. Shen, M. Platek, A. Mahasneh, C. B. Ambrosone, and H. Zhao, “Mitochondrial copy number and risk of breast cancer: a pilot study,” Mitochondrion, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2010.
- G. M. Aldrovandi, C. Chu, W. T. Shearer et al., “Antiretroviral exposure and lymphocyte mtDNA content among uninfected infants of HIV-1-infected women,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. e1189–e1197, 2009.
- S. W. Weng, T.-K. Linb, C.-W. Liou, et al., “Peripheral blood mitochondrial DNA content and dysregulation of glucose metabolism,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 94–99, 2009.
- A. D. D'Souza, N. Parikh, S. M. Kaech, and G. S. Shadel, “Convergence of multiple signaling pathways is required to coordinately up-regulate mtDNA and mitochondrial biogenesis during T cell activation,” Mitochondrion, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 374–385, 2007.
- C. T. Moraes, “What regulates mitochondrial DNA copy number in animal cells?” Trends in Genetics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 199–205, 2001.
- S. Maynard, N. C. de Souza-Pinto, M. Scheibye-Knudsen, and V. A. Bohr, “Mitochondrial base excision repair assays,” Methods, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 416–425, 2010.