- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 159159, 8 pages
Interdisciplinary Approach to Tool-Handle Design Based on Medical Imaging
1Laboratory for Intelligent CAD Systems, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maribor, Smetanova Ulica 17, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
2Department of Traumatology, University Medical Centre Maribor, Ljubljanska Ulica 5, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
3Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Maribor, Slomškov trg 15, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 2 August 2013; Accepted 23 August 2013
Academic Editor: Gunnar B. Andersson
Copyright © 2013 G. Harih and A. Čretnik. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Ye, H. Liu, L. Chen, Z. Chen, X. Pan, and S. Zhang, “Reverse innovative design—an integrated product design methodology,” CAD Computer Aided Design, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 812–827, 2008.
- A. Merle, J. L. Chandon, E. Roux, and F. Alizon, “Perceived value of the mass-customized product and mass customization experience for individual consumers,” Production and Operations Management, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 503–514, 2010.
- D. Hogberg, G. Bäckstrand, D. Lämkull, L. Hanson, and R. Örtengren, “Industrial customisation of digital human modelling tools,” International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53–70, 2008.
- S. Du, A. Zhang, X. Yang, and Y. Zhuang, “The study on intelligent technology integrating ergonomics into industrial design,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer-Aided Industrial Design and Conceptual Design: Multicultural Creation and Design (CAIDCD '08), pp. 21–25, November 2008.
- J. Kaljun and B. Dolšak, “Ergonomic design knowledge built in the intelligent decision support system,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 162–171, 2012.
- P. Franciosa, S. Gerbino, A. Lanzotti et al., “Virtual prototype development for comfort assessment of occupational footwear sole,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Innovative Methods in Product Design (IMProVe '11), June 2011.
- M. Eksioglu, “Relative optimum grip span as a function of hand anthropometry,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2004.
- B. Bernard, N. Nelson, C. F. Estill, and L. Fine, “The NIOSH review of hand-arm vibration syndrome: vigilance is crucial,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 780–785, 1998.
- S. Youakim, “Hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS),” British Columbia Medical Journal, vol. 51, no. 1, p. 10, 2009.
- R. Gurram, S. Rakheja, and G. J. Gouw, “A study of hand grip pressure distribution and EMG of finger flexor muscles under dynamic loads,” Ergonomics, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 684–699, 1995.
- D. M. Rempel, R. J. Harrison, and S. Barnhart, “Work-related cumulative trauma disorders of the upper extremity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 267, no. 6, pp. 838–842, 1992.
- B. Jesenšek Papež, M. Palfy, M. Mertik, and Z. Turk, “Infrared thermography based on artificial intelligence as a screening method for carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosis,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 779–790, 2009.
- L. Punnett and D. H. Wegman, “Work-related musculoskeletal disorders: the epidemiologic evidence and the debate,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 13–23, 2004.
- T. Yakou, K. Yamamoto, M. Koyama, and K. Hyodo, “Sensory evaluation of grip using cylindrical objects,” JSME International Journal C, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 730–735, 1997.
- N. B. Hall Jr. and E. M. Bennett, “Empirical assessment of handrail diameters,” Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 381–382, 1956.
- A. A. Amis, “Variation of finger forces in maximal isometric grasp tests on a range of cylinder diameters,” Journal of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 1987.
- Y. Chen, An evaluation of hand pressure distribution and forearm flexor muscle contribution for a power grasp on cylindrical handles [Ph.D. dissertation], University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb, USA, 1991.
- J. L. Sancho-Bru, D. J. Giurintano, A. Pérez-González, and M. Vergara, “Optimum tool handle diameter for a cylinder grip,” Journal of Hand Therapy, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 337–342, 2003.
- K. A. Grant, D. J. Habes, and L. L. Steward, “An analysis of handle designs for reducing manual effort: the influence of grip diameter,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 199–206, 1992.
- S. Oh and R. G. Radwin, “Pistol grip power tool handle and trigger size effects on grip exertions and operator preference,” Human Factors, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 551–569, 1993.
- S. L. Johnson, “Ergonomic hand tool design,” Hand Clinics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 299–311, 1993.
- J. R. Blackwell, K. W. Kornatz, and E. M. Heath, “Effect of grip span on maximal grip force and fatigue of flexor digitorum superficialis,” Applied Ergonomics, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 401–405, 1999.
- C. J. Garneau and M. B. Parkinson, “Optimization of tool handle shape for a target user population,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (DETC '09), pp. 1029–1036, San Diego, Calif, USA, September 2009.
- N. J. Seo and T. J. Armstrong, “Investigation of grip force, normal force, contact area, hand size, and handle size for cylindrical handles,” Human Factors, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 734–744, 2008.
- M. M. Ayoub and P. L. Presti, “The determination of an optimum size cylindrical handle by use of electromyography,” Ergonomics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 509–518, 1971.
- Y. K. Kong and B. D. Lowe, “Optimal cylindrical handle diameter for grip force tasks,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 495–507, 2005.
- J. Z. Wu and R. G. Dong, “Analysis of the contact interactions between fingertips and objects with different surface curvatures,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers H, vol. 219, no. 2, pp. 89–103, 2005.
- W. Sun, B. Starly, J. Nam, and A. Darling, “Bio-CAD modeling and its applications in computer-aided tissue engineering,” CAD Computer Aided Design, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1097–1114, 2005.
- M. R. Cutkosky, “On grasp choice, grasp models, and the design of hands for manufacturing tasks,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 269–279, 1989.
- C. J. Garneau and M. B. Parkinson, “Optimization of product dimensions for discrete sizing applied to a tool handle,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2012.
- S. Pieper, B. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, “The NA-MIC Kit: ITK, VTK, pipelines, grids and 3D slicer as an open platform for the medical image computing community,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, pp. 698–701, April 2006.
- G. Harih and A. Čretnik, “Open-source software in medical imaging: case-based study with interdisciplinary innovative product design,” Acta Medico-Biotechnica, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2012.
- J. J. Caban, A. Joshi, and P. Nagy, “Rapid development of medical imaging tools with open-source libraries,” Journal of Digital Imaging, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 83–93, 2007.
- B. J. Erickson, S. Langer, and P. Nagy, “The role of open-source software in innovation and standardization in radiology,” Journal of the American College of Radiology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 927–931, 2005.
- O. Ratib and A. Rosset, “Open-source software in medical imaging: development of OsiriX,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 187–196, 2006.
- L. F. M. Kuijt-Evers, L. Groenesteijn, M. P. De Looze, and P. Vink, “Identifying factors of comfort in using hand tools,” Applied Ergonomics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 453–458, 2004.