- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 160320, 6 pages
Genetic Variation between Biomphalaria alexandrina Snails Susceptible and Resistant to Schistosoma mansoni Infection
1Medical Parasitology Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
2Medical Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
Received 10 April 2013; Revised 13 June 2013; Accepted 15 June 2013
Academic Editor: Robert Stoehr
Copyright © 2013 Suzanne M. F. El-Nassery et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Chitsulo, D. Engels, A. Montresor, and L. Savioli, “The global status of schistosomiasis and its control,” Acta Tropica, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2000.
- P. Steinmann, J. Keiser, R. Bos, M. Tanner, and J. Utzinger, “Schistosomiasis and water resources development: systematic review, meta-analysis, and estimates of people at risk,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 411–425, 2006.
- P. J. Hotez, L. Savioli, and A. Fenwick, “Neglected tropical diseases of the middle east and north africa: review of their prevalence, distribution, and opportunities for control,” PLos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e1475, 2012.
- W. M. Lotfy, R. J. Dejong, A. Abdel-Kader, and E. S. Loker, “A molecular survey of Biomphalaria in Egypt: is B. glabrata present?” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 131–139, 2005.
- I. F. Abou-El-Naga, S. M. F. El-Nassery, S. R. Allam, E. A. Shaat, and R. F. M. Mady, “Biomphalaria species in Alexandria water channels,” Parasitology International, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2011.
- J. C. Mallett and I. A. Aboul-Ela, “A new range extension of Biomphalaria alexandrina, the snail intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni in Egypt,” Malacological Review, vol. 12, pp. 9–92, 1979.
- WHO Expert Committee, “Prevention and control of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminthiasis,” World Health Organization Technical Report Series 912:i-vi, back cover, 2002.
- F. Yousif, M. el-Emam, A. Abdel Kader, A. S. el-Din, K. el-Hommossany, and C. Shiff, “Schistosomiasis in newly reclaimed areas in Egypt. 2–Patterns of transmission,” Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 635–648, 1999.
- I. F. Abou-El-Naga, “Biomphalaria alexandrina in Egypt: past, present and future,” Journal of BioSciences, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1–8, 2013, http://link.springer.com/article/10. 1007%2Fs12038-013-9329-4#page-1.
- S. Salem, R. E. Mitchell, A. El-Alim El-Dorey, J. A. Smith, and D. A. Barocas, “Successful control of schistosomiasis and the changing epidemiology of bladder cancer in Egypt,” BJU International, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 206–211, 2011.
- R. A. Abdul-Ghani, N. Loutfy, and A. Hassan, “Experimentally promising antischistosomal drugs: a review of some drug candidates not reaching the clinical use,” Parasitology Research, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 899–906, 2009.
- O. A. Ismail, “Schistosomiasis vaccines: literature review and current status,” Journal of Egyptian Parasitologists United, vol. 4, pp. 137–154, 2011.
- P. M. Z. Coelho, O. S. Carvalho, Z. A. Andrade et al., “Biomphalaria tenagophila/Schistosoma mansoni interaction: premises for a new approach to biological control of schistosomiasis,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 109–111, 2004.
- W. L. Newton, “The inheritance of susceptibility to infection with Schistosoma mansoni in Australorbis glabratus,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 242–257, 1953.
- D. Mascara, T. Kawano, A. C. Magnanelli, R. P. S. Silva, O. A. Sant' Anna, and J. S. Morgante, “Schistosoma mansoni: continuous variation in susceptibility of the vector snail of schistosomiasis, Biomphalaria tenagophila I. Self-fertilization-Lineage,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 133–141, 1999.
- I. F. Abou-El-Naga, M. M. Eissa, S. F. Mossallam, and S. I. A. El-Halim, “Inheritance of Schistosoma mansoni infection incompatibility in Biomphalaria alexandrina snails,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 149–154, 2010.
- F. M. Rosa, A. L. B. Godard, V. Azevedo, and P. M. Z. Coelho, “Biomphalaria tenagophila: dominant character of the resistance to Schistosoma mansoni in descendants of crossbreedings between resistant (Taim, RS) and susceptible (Joinville, SC) strains,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2005.
- I. F. Abou-El-Naga and E. H. Radwan, “Defense response of susceptible and resistant Biomphalaria alexandrina snails against Schistosoma mansoni infection,” Revista de Biología Tropical, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1195–1204, 2012.
- C. S. Richards and P. C. Shade, “The genetic variation of compatibility in Biomphalaria glabrata and Schistosoma mansoni,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1146–1151, 1987.
- C. S. Richards, M. Knight, and F. A. Lewis, “Genetics of Biomphalaria glabrata and its effect on the outcome of Schistosoma mansoni infection,” Parasitology Today, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 171–174, 1992.
- A. Z. Abdel-Hamid, S. M. Rawi, and A. F. Arafa, “Identification of a genetic marker associated with the resistance to Schistosoma mansoni infection using random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 863–868, 2006.
- J. Welsh and M. McClelland, “Fingerprinting genomes using PCR with arbitrary primers,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 7213–7218, 1990.
- J. G. K. Williams, A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Rafalski, and S. V. Tingey, “DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 6531–6535, 1990.
- S. E. Larson, P. L. Andersen, A. N. Miller et al., “Use of RAPD-PCR to differentiate genetically defined lines of an intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni, Biomphalaria glabrata,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 237–244, 1996.
- A. Z. Abdel-Hamid, J. B. de Molfetta, V. Fernandez, and V. Rodrigues, “Genetic variation between susceptible and non-susceptible snails to Schistosoma infection using random amplified polymorphic dna analysis (RAPDs),” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 291–295, 1999.
- R. G. M. Spada, D. da Silva, A.-Z. Abdel-Hamid et al., “Genetic markers between Biomphalaria glabrata snails susceptible and resistant to Schistosoma mansoni infection,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2002.
- A. L. Oliveira, D. da Silva, B. C. Manzano et al., “Genetic differences between strains of Biomphalaria glabrata (Planorbidae) that are susceptible and unsusceptible to schistosomiasis,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1450–1459, 2010.
- E. M. Zanotti-Magalhães, L. A. Magalhães, and J. F. de Carcalho, “Relationship between the pathogenicity of Schistosoma mansoni in mice and the susceptibility of the vector mollusk. IV—infectiousness of the miracídia,” Revista de Saude Publica, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 488–494, 1997.
- G. E. Truett, P. Heeger, R. L. Mynatt, A. A. Truett, J. A. Walker, and M. L. Warman, “Preparation of PCR-quality mouse genomic dna with hot sodium hydroxide and tris (HotSHOT),” BioTechniques, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 52–54, 2000.
- A. J. G. Simpson, E. D. Neto, M. Steindel, O. L. S. D. Caballero, L. K. Janotti-Passos, and S. D. J. Pena, “The use of RAPDs for the analysis of parasites,” in , DNA Fingerprinting State of the Sciences, S. D. J. Pena, Ed., pp. 331–337, Birkhauser, Cambridge, MA, USA, 1993.
- F. A. Lewis, M. Knight, and C. S. Richards, “A laboratory-based approach to biological control of snails,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 661–662, 1997.
- M. Knight, A. N. Miller, C. N. Patterson et al., “The identification of markers segregating with resistance to Schistosoma mansoni infection in the snail Biomphalaria glabrata,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1510–1515, 1999.
- A. L. D. Oliveira, D. da Silva, E. M. Zanotti-Magalhaes, A. Z. Abdel-Hamid, and J. T. Ribeiro-Paes, “Schistosome/mollusk: genetic compatibility,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 518–526, 2008.
- L. R. Dice, “Measures of the amount of ecological association between species,” Ecology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 297–302, 1945.
- S. M. Bin Dajem, E. H. Ibrahim, S. A. S. Al-Quraishy, and O. M. S. Mostafa, “Fingerprint of Biomphalaria arabica, the intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni in Saudi Arabia, using RAPD-PCR,” Gene, vol. 485, no. 2, pp. 69–72, 2011.
- K. N. Teixeira, K. N. Souza, T. H. D. A. Vidigal, C. A. Brito, A. M. C. Santos, and M. M. Santoro, “Size polymorphism in alleles of the myoglobin gene from Biomphalaria mollusks,” Genes, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 357–370, 2010.
- A. H. Mohamed, A. T. Sharaf El-Din, A. M. Mohamed, and M. R. Habib, “The relationship between genetic variability and the susceptibility of Biomphalaria alexandrina snails to Schistosoma mansoni infection,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 326–337, 2012.
- T. H. D. A. Vidigal, E. D. Neto, O. D. S. Carvalho, and A. J. G. Simpson, “Biomphalaria glabrata: extensive genetic variation in Brazilian isolates revealed by random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 1994.