- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 162674, 8 pages
Thermal and Chemical Stability of Two Homologous POZ/BTB Domains of KCTD Proteins Characterized by a Different Oligomeric Organization
1Istituto di Cristallografia, CNR, Via G. Amendola 122/O, 70126 Bari, Italy
2DFM Scarl, Via Mezzocannone 16, 80134 Napoli, Italy
3Istituto di Biostrutture e Bioimmagini, CNR, Via Mezzocannone 16, 80134 Napoli, Italy
4Kedrion S.p.A, S. Antimo, 80029 Napoli, Italy
5Dipartimento di Scienze per la Biologia, la Geologia e l’Ambiente, Università del Sannio, Via Port’Arsa 11, 82100 Benevento, Italy
Received 26 June 2013; Revised 11 September 2013; Accepted 18 September 2013
Academic Editor: D. M. Clarke
Copyright © 2013 Luciano Pirone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. D. Levy, E. B. Erba, C. V. Robinson, and S. A. Teichmann, “Assembly reflects evolution of protein complexes,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7199, pp. 1262–1265, 2008.
- T. Perica, C. Chothia, and S. A. Teichmann, “Evolution of oligomeric state through geometric coupling of protein interfaces,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, pp. 8127–8132, 2012.
- P. J. Stogios, G. S. Downs, J. J. S. Jauhal, S. K. Nandra, and G. G. Privé, “Sequence and structural analysis of BTB domain proteins,” Genome Biology, vol. 6, no. 10, article R82, 2005.
- E. De Smaele, L. Di Marcotullio, M. Moretti et al., “Identification and characterization of KCASH2 and KCASH3, 2 novel cullin3 adaptors suppressing histone deacetylase and hedgehog activity in medulloblastoma,” Neoplasia, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 374–385, 2011.
- G. Canettieri, L. Di Marcotullio, A. Greco et al., “Histone deacetylase and Cullin3-REN KCTD11 ubiquitin ligase interplay regulates Hedgehog signalling through Gli acetylation,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 132–142, 2010.
- S. Correale, L. Pirone, L. Di Marcotullio et al., “Molecular organization of the cullin E3 ligase adaptor KCTD11,” Biochimie, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 715–724, 2011.
- Y. Chen, Z. Yang, M. Meng et al., “Cullin mediates degradation of RhoA through evolutionarily conserved BTB adaptors to control actin cytoskeleton structure and cell movement,” Molecular Cell, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 841–855, 2009.
- Y. Bayón, A. G. Trinidad, M. L. de la Puerta et al., “KCTD5, a putative substrate adaptor for cullin3 ubiquitin ligases,” The FEBS Journal, vol. 275, no. 15, pp. 3900–3910, 2008.
- F. Mei, J. Xiang, S. Han et al., “Expression, purification, and secondary structure characterization of recombinant KCTD1,” Biochemistry, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 941–945, 2012.
- R. Azizieh, D. Orduz, P. van Bogaert et al., “Progressive myoclonic epilepsy-associated gene KCTD7 is a regulator of potassium conductance in neurons,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 111–121, 2011.
- J. Schwenk, M. Metz, G. Zolles et al., “Native GABAB receptors are heteromultimers with a family of auxiliary subunits,” Nature, vol. 465, no. 7295, pp. 231–235, 2010.
- C. Golzio, J. Willer, M. E. Talkowski et al., “KCTD13 is a major driver of mirrored neuroanatomical phenotypes of the 16p11. 2 copy number variant,” Nature, vol. 485, no. 7398, pp. 363–367, 2012.
- L. Di Marcotullio, G. Canettieri, P. Infante, A. Greco, and A. Gulino, “Protected from the inside: endogenous histone deacetylase inhibitors and the road to cancer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1815, no. 2, pp. 241–252, 2011.
- P. van Bogaert, R. Azizieh, J. Désir et al., “Mutation of a potassium channel-related gene in progressive myoclonic epilepsy,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 579–586, 2007.
- L. Pirone, S. Correale, I. de Paola et al., “Design, synthesis and characterization of a peptide able to bind proteins of the KCTD family: implications for KCTD-cullin 3 recognition,” Journal of Peptide Science, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 373–376, 2011.
- I. S. Dementieva, V. Tereshko, Z. A. McCrossan et al., “Pentameric assembly of potassium channel tetramerization domain-containing protein 5,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 387, no. 1, pp. 175–191, 2009.
- S. Correale, C. Esposito, L. Pirone, L. Vitagliano, S. Di Gaetano, and E. Pedone, “A biophysical characterization of the folded domains of KCTD12: insights into interaction with the GABAB2 receptor,” Journal of Molecular Recognition, vol. 26, pp. 488–495, 2013.
- S. Lange, S. Perera, P. Teh, and J. Chen, “Obscurin and KCTD6 regulate cullin-dependent small ankyrin-1 (sAnk1. 5) protein turnover,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 23, pp. 2490–2504, 2012.
- S. Coni, L. Antonucci, D. D'Amico et al., “Gli2 acetylation at lysine 757 regulates hedgehog-dependent transcriptional output by preventing its promoter occupancy,” PloS One, vol. 8, Article ID e65718, 2013.
- C. R. Johnson, P. E. Morin, C. H. Arrowsmith, and E. Freire, “Thermodynamic analysis of the structural stability of the tetrameric oligomerization domain of p53 tumor suppressor,” Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 16, pp. 5309–5316, 1995.
- F. Catanzano, C. Giancola, G. Graziano, and G. Barone, “Temperature-induced denaturation of ribonuclease S: a thermodynamic study,” Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 41, pp. 13378–13385, 1996.
- P. J. Stogios and G. G. Privé, “The BACK domain in BTB-kelch proteins,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 634–637, 2004.
- J. K. Myers, C. N. Pace, and J. M. Scholtz, “Denaturant m values and heat capacity changes: relation to changes in accessible surface areas of protein unfolding,” Protein Science, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 2138–2148, 1995.
- C. E. Dempsey, T. J. Piggot, and P. E. Mason, “Dissecting contributions to the denaturant sensitivities of proteins,” Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 775–781, 2005.
- M. G. Mateu and A. R. Fersht, “Nine hydrophobic side chains are key determinants of the thermodynamic stability and oligomerization status of tumour suppressor p53 tetramerization domain,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2748–2758, 1998.
- M. E. Sowa, E. J. Bennett, S. P. Gygi, and J. W. Harper, “Defining the human deubiquitinating enzyme interaction landscape,” Cell, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 389–403, 2009.