- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 164501, 4 pages
FISH Detection of PML-RARA Fusion in ins(15;17) Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia Depends on Probe Size
1Victorian Cancer Cytogenetics Service, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, VIC 3065, Australia
2Department of Medicine, St Vincent's Hospital, University of Melbourne, Fitzroy, VIC 3065, Australia
3LabPLUS, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
4Sullivan & Nicolaides Pathology, Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD 4068, Australia
5Department of Haematology, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, VIC 3004, Australia
6Department of Haematology, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland 1023, New Zealand
7Department of Haematology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, VIC 3050, Australia
8Department of Molecular Medicine & Pathology, University of Auckland, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Received 22 October 2012; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editor: Yasemin Alanay
Copyright © 2013 Lynda J. Campbell et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Kakizuka, W. H. Miller, K. Umesono et al., “Chromosomal translocation t(15;17) in human acute promyelocytic leukemia fuses RARα with a novel putative transcription factor, PML,” Cell, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 663–674, 1991.
- D. Grimwade, A. Biondi, M. J. Mozziconacci et al., “Characterization of acute promyelocytic leukemia cases lacking the classic t(15;17): results of the European working party,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1297–1308, 2000.
- D. Grimwade and F. Lo Coco, “Acute promyelocytic leukemia: a model for the role of molecular diagnosis and residual disease monitoring in directing treatment approach in acute myeloid leukemia,” Leukemia, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1959–1973, 2002.
- A. Catalano, M. A. Dawson, K. Somana et al., “Brief report: the PRKAR1A gene is fused to RARA in a new variant acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Blood, vol. 110, no. 12, pp. 4073–4076, 2007.
- T. Kondo, A. Mori, S. Darmanin, S. Hashino, J. Tanaka, and M. Asaka, “The seventh pathogenic fusion gene FIP1L1-RARA was isolated from a t(4;17)-positive acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Haematologica, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 1414–1416, 2008.
- Y. Yamamoto, S. Tsuzuki, M. Tsuzuki, K. Handa, Y. Inaguma, and N. Emi, “BCOR as a novel fusion partner of retinoic acid receptor α in a t(X;17)(p11;q12) variant of acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 20, pp. 4274–4283, 2010.
- D. Grimwade, P. Gorman, E. Duprez et al., “Characterization of cryptic rearrangements and variant translocations in acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 4876–4885, 1997.
- L. G. Shaffer, M. L. Slovak, and L. J. Campbell, ISCN (2009): An International System For Human Cytogenetic Nomenclature, S. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 2009.
- C. Schoch, S. Schnittger, W. Kern et al., “Rapid diagnostic approach to PML-RARα-positive acute promyelocytic leukemia,” The Hematology Journal, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 259–263, 2002.
- H. Iland, K. Bradstock, J. Seymour et al., et al., “Results of the APML3 trial incorporating all-trans-retinoic acid and idarubicin in both induction and consolidation as initial therapy for patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Haematologica, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 227–234, 2012.
- M. A. Sanz, G. Martín, M. González et al., “Risk-adapted treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia with all-trans-retinoic acid and anthracycline monochemotherapy: a multicenter study by the PETHEMA group,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 1237–1243, 2004.
- H. J. Iland, K. Bradstock, S. G. Supple et al., et al., “All-trans-retinoic acid, idarubicin, and IV arsenic trioxide as initial therapy in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APML4),” Blood, vol. 120, no. 8, pp. 1570–1580, 2012.
- P. P. Pandolfi, M. Alcalay, M. Fagioli et al., “Genomic variability and alternative splicing generate multiple PML/RARα transcripts that encode aberrant PML proteins and PML/RARα isoforms in acute promyelocytic leukaemia,” EMBO Journal, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1397–1407, 1992.
- K. Yamamoto, H. Hamaguchi, M. Kobayashi, Y. Tsurukubo, and K. Nagata, “Terminal deletion of the long arm of chromosome 9 in acute promyelocytic leukemia with a cryptic PML/RARα rearrangement,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 120–125, 1999.
- S. R. Brockman, S. F. Paternoster, R. P. Ketterling, and G. W. Dewald, “New highly sensitive fluorescence in situ hybridization method to detect PML/RARA fusion in acute promyelocytic leukemia,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 144–151, 2003.