- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 165198, 9 pages
Rhizobium pongamiae sp. nov. from Root Nodules of Pongamia pinnata
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Assam 781 039, India
Received 27 April 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editor: Eldon R. Rene
Copyright © 2013 Vigya Kesari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. T. Scott, L. Pregelj, N. Chen, J. S. Hadler, M. A. Djordjevic, and P. M. Gresshoff, “Pongamia pinnata: an untapped resource for the biofuels: industry of the future,” Bioenergy Research, vol. 1, pp. 2–11, 2008.
- V. Kesari, A. Das, and L. Rangan, “Physico-chemical characterization and antimicrobial activity from seed oil of Pongamia pinnata, a potential biofuel crop,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 108–115, 2010.
- N. Mukta and Y. Sreevalli, “Propagation techniques, evaluation and improvement of the biodiesel plant, Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre-A review,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- M. Sahgal and B. N. Johri, “The changing face of rhizobial systematics,” Current Science, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2003.
- H. T. Murphy, D. A. O'Connell, G. Seaton et al., “A common view of the opportunities, challenges and research actions for Pongamia in Australia,” Bioenergy Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 773–800, 2012.
- I. O. A. Odeh, D. K. Y. Tan, and T. Ancev, “Potential suitability and viability of selected biodiesel crops in Australian marginal agricultural lands under current and future climates,” Bioenergy Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 165–179, 2011.
- K. E. Kabir, F. Islam, and A. R. Khan, “Insecticidal effect of the petroleum ether fraction obtained from the leaf extract of Pongamia glabra Vent. on the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana (L.) (Dictyoptera: Blattidae),” International Pest Control, vol. 43, pp. 152–154, 2001.
- J. M. Vincent, A Manual for the Practical Study of the Root-Nodule Bacteria: IBP Handbook no. 15, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, UK, 1970.
- J.-H. Yoon, S.-J. Kang, H.-S. Yi, T.-K. Oh, and C.-M. Ryu, “Rhizobium soli sp. nov., isolated from soil,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1387–1393, 2010.
- C. R. Woese, “Bacterial evolution,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 221–271, 1987.
- H. Bouzar and J. B. Jones, “Agrobacterium larrymoorei sp. nov., a pathogen isolated from aerial tumours of Ficus benjamina,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 1023–1026, 2001.
- B. De Las Rivas, Á. Marcobal, and R. Muñoz, “Allelic diversity and population structure in Oenococcus oeni as determined from sequence analysis of housekeeping genes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 7210–7219, 2004.
- E. T. Wang, P. Van Berkum, D. Beyene et al., “Rhizobium huautlense sp. nov., a symbiont of Sesbania herbacea that has a close phylogenetic relationship with Rhizobium galegae,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 687–699, 1998.
- S. W. Tighe, P. De Lajudie, K. Dipietro, K. Lindström, G. Nick, and B. D. W. Jarvis, “Analysis of cellular fatty acids and phenotypic relationships of Agrobacterium, Bradyrhizobium, Mesorhizobium, Rhizobium and Sinorhizobium species using the Sherlock Microbial Identification System,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 787–801, 2000.
- A. Boyde and C. Wood, “Preparation of animal tissues for surface-scanning electron microscopy,” Journal of Microscopy, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 221–249, 1969.
- K. Lindström and S. Lehtomäki, “Metabolic properties, maximum growth temperature and phage sensitivity of Rhizobium sp. (Galega) compared with other fast-growing rhizobia,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 50, no. 2-3, pp. 277–287, 1988.
- W. Y. Shieh, A.-L. Chen, and H.-H. Chiu, “Vibrio aerogenes sp. nov., a facultatively anaerobic marine bacterium that ferments glucose with gas production,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 321–329, 2000.
- R. M. Smibert and N. R. Krieg, “Phenotypic characterization,” in Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, P. Gerhardt, R. G. E. Murray, W. A. Wood, and N. R. Krieg, Eds., pp. 607–654, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- M. Sasser, “Identification of bacteria through fatty acid analysis,” in Methods in Phytobacteriology, Z. Klement, K. Rudoolph, and D. C. Sands, Eds., pp. 199–204, Akademiai Kiado, Budapest, Hungary, 1990.
- G. Laguerre, M.-R. Allard, F. Revoy, and N. Amarger, “Rapid identification of rhizobia by restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of PCR-amplified 16S rRNA genes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1994.
- D. J. Lane, “16S/23S rRNA sequencing,” in Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematic, E. Strackebrandt and M. Goodfellow, Eds., pp. 115–175, Wiley, Chischester, UK, 1991.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- R. Chenna, H. Sugawara, T. Koike et al., “Multiple sequence alignment with the Clustal series of programs,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3497–3500, 2003.
- N. Saitou and M. Nei, “The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees,” Molecular biology and evolution, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 406–425, 1987.
- M. Kimura, “A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 1980.
- K. Tamura, J. Dudley, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1596–1599, 2007.
- R. Li and I. C. MacRae, “Specific identification and enumeration of Acetobacter diazotrophicus in sugarcane,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 413–419, 1992.
- F. Poly, L. J. Monrozier, and R. Bally, “Improvement in the RFLP procedure for studying the diversity of nifH genes in communities of nitrogen fixers in soil,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 95–103, 2001.
- J. Tamaoka and K. Komagata, “Determination of DNA base composition by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 125–128, 1984.
- P. Cashion, M. A. Holder Franklin, J. McCully, and M. Franklin, “A rapid method for the base ratio determination of bacterial DNA,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 461–466, 1977.
- M. Mesbah, U. Premachandran, and W. B. Whitman, “Precise measurement of the G+C content of deoxyribonucleic acid by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 159–167, 1989.
- J. De Ley, H. Cattoir, and A. Reynaerts, “The quantitative measurement of DNA hybridization from renaturation rates,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 133–142, 1970.
- V. A. R. Huss, H. Festl, and K. H. Schleifer, “Studies on the spectrophotometric determination of DNA hybridization from renaturation rates,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 184–192, 1983.
- K. Komagata and K. Suzuki, “Lipid and cell wall analysis in bacterial systematic,” Methods in Microbiology, vol. 19, pp. 161–206, 1987.
- M. H. Siddiqui, “Nodulation study of a few legume tree species during seedling stage,” Nitrogen Fixing Tree Research Reports, vol. 7, p. 6, 1989.
- P. Felker and P. R. Clark, “Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) and cross inoculation in 12 Prosopis (mesquite) species,” Plant and Soil, vol. 57, no. 2-3, pp. 177–186, 1980.
- F. M. S. Moreira, K. Haukka, and J. P. W. Young, “Biodiversity of rhizobia isolated from a wide range of forest legumes in Brazil,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 889–895, 1998.
- P. H. Graham, M. J. Sadowsky, H. H. Keyser et al., “Proposed minimal standards for the description of new genera and species of root- and stem-nodulating bacteria,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 582–587, 1991.
- A. Baraibar, L. Frioni, M. E. Guedes, and H. Ljunggren, “Symbiotic effectiveness and ecological characterization of indigenous Rhizobium loti populations in Uruguay,” Pesquisa Agropecuaria Brasileira, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1011–1017, 1999.
- A. Fterich, M. Mahdhi, and M. Mars, “TThe effects of Acacia tortilis sub. raddiana, soil texture and soil depth on soil microbial and biochemical characteristics in arid zones of Tunisia,” Land Degradation and Development, 2011.
- G. F. Craig, C. A. Atkins, and D. T. Bell, “Effect of salinity on growth of four strains of Rhizobium and their infectivity and effectiveness on two species of Acacia,” Plant and Soil, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 253–262, 1991.
- R. Defez, B. Senatore, and D. Camerini, “Genetically modified rhizobia as a tool to improve legume growth in semi-arid conditions,” in Mediterranean Conference of Rhizobiology Workshop on Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation for Mediterranean Area, Montpellier, France, July 2000.
- D. W. Odee, J. M. Sutherland, E. T. Makatiani, S. G. McInroy, and J. I. Sprent, “Phenotypic characteristics and composition of rhizobia associated with woody legumes growing in diverse Kenyan conditions,” Plant and Soil, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 1997.
- E. Stackebrandt and B. M. Goebel, “Taxonomic note: a place for DNA-DNA reassociation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis in the present species definition in bacteriology,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 846–849, 1994.
- R. Rivas, M. Martens, P. de Lajudie, and A. Willems, “Multilocus sequence analysis of the genus Bradyrhizobium,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 101–110, 2009.
- W. Chen, E. Wang, S. Wang, Y. Li, X. Chen, and Y. Li, “Characteristics of Rhizobium tianshanense sp. nov., a moderately and slowly growing root nodule bacterium isolated from an arid saline environment in Xinjiang, People's Republic of China,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 153–159, 1995.
- L. G. Wayne, D. J. Brenner, R. R. Colwell et al., “Report of the ad hoc committee on reconciliation of approaches to bacterial systematic,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 37, pp. 463–464, 1987.
- A. Willems, F. Doignon-Bourcier, J. Goris et al., “DNA-DNA hybridization study of Bradyrhizobium strains,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1315–1322, 2001.