- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 168321, 9 pages
Lifting the Silver Flakes: The Pathogenesis and Management of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis
1Department of Paediatrics, University of Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
2Centre for Regenerative Medicine, Mawson Institute, University of South Australia, Building V, Mawson Lakes Campus, Mawson Lakes Boulevard, Mawson Lakes, SA 5095, Australia
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 10 July 2013
Academic Editor: Dimitrios P. Bogdanos
Copyright © 2013 Heng T. Chong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Parisi, D. P. Symmons, C. E. Griffiths, et al., “Global epidemiology of psoriasis: a systematic review of incidence and prevalence,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 377–385, 2013.
- J. de Korte, M. A. G. Sprangers, F. M. C. Mombers, and J. D. Bos, “Quality of life in patients with psoriasis: a systematic literature review,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2004.
- T. Xu and Y. H. Zhang, “Association of psoriasis with stroke and myocardial infarction: meta-analysis of cohort studies,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 167, no. 6, pp. 1345–1350, 2012.
- C. E. Griffiths and J. N. Barker, “Pathogenesis and clinical features of psoriasis,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9583, pp. 263–271, 2007.
- G. Monteleone, F. Pallone, T. T. Macdonald, S. Chimenti, and A. Costanzo, “Psoriasis: from pathogenesis to novel therapeutic approaches,” Clinical Science, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2011.
- F. Capon, R. C. Trembath, and J. N. Barker, “An update on the genetics of psoriasis,” Dermatologic Clinics, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 339–347, 2004.
- M. Allen, A. Ishida-Yamamoto, J. McGrath et al., “Corneodesmosin expression in psoriasis vulgaris differs from normal skin and other inflammatory skin disorders,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 969–976, 2001.
- C. Helms, L. Cao, J. G. Krueger et al., “A putative RUNX1 binding site variant between SLC9A3R1 and NAT9 is associated with susceptibility to psoriasis,” Nature Genetics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 349–356, 2003.
- E. Giardina, F. Capon, M. C. de Rosa et al., “Characterization of the loricrin (LOR) gene as a positional candidate for the PSORS4 psoriasis susceptibility locus,” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 639–645, 2004.
- O. Boyman, H. P. Hefti, C. Conrad, B. J. Nickoloff, M. Suter, and F. O. Nestle, “Spontaneous development of psoriasis in a new animal model shows an essential role for resident T cells and tumor necrosis factor-α,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 199, no. 5, pp. 731–736, 2004.
- S. Davison, A. Ballsdon, M. H. Allen, and J. N. W. N. Barker, “Early migration of cutaneous lymphocyte-associated antigen (CLA) positive T cells into evolving psoriatic plaques,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 280–285, 2001.
- H. Valdimarsson, B. S. Baker, I. Jonsdottir, A. Powles, and L. Fry, “Psoriasis: a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease induced by streptococcal superantigens?” Immunology Today, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 145–149, 1995.
- H. Valdimarsson, R. H. Thorleifsdottir, S. L. Sigurdardottir, J. E. Gudjonsson, and A. Johnston, “Psoriasis—as an autoimmune disease caused by molecular mimicry,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 494–501, 2009.
- Y. Zheng, D. M. Danilenko, P. Valdez et al., “Interleukin-22, a TH17 cytokine, mediates IL-23-induced dermal inflammation and acanthosis,” Nature, vol. 445, no. 7128, pp. 648–651, 2007.
- C. Ortega, S. Fernández-A, J. M. Carrillo et al., “IL-17-producing CD8+ T lymphocytes from psoriasis skin plaques are cytotoxic effector cells that secrete Th17-related cytokines,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 435–443, 2009.
- C. Koga, K. Kabashima, N. Shiraishi, M. Kobayashi, and Y. Tokura, “Possible pathogenic role of Th17 cells for atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 2625–2630, 2008.
- R. Lande, J. Gregorio, V. Facchinetti et al., “Plasmacytoid dendritic cells sense self-DNA coupled with antimicrobial peptide,” Nature, vol. 449, no. 7162, pp. 564–569, 2007.
- D. Ganguly, G. Chamilos, R. Lande et al., “Self-RNA-antimicrobial peptide complexes activate human dendritic cells through TLR7 and TLR8,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 206, no. 9, pp. 1983–1994, 2009.
- F. O. Nestle, C. Conrad, A. Tun-Kyi et al., “Plasmacytoid predendritic cells initiate psoriasis through interferon-α production,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 202, no. 1, pp. 135–143, 2005.
- F. O. Nestle, P. di Meglio, J.-Z. Qin, and B. J. Nickoloff, “Skin immune sentinels in health and disease,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 679–691, 2009.
- A. M. Tobin, L. Lynch, B. Kirby, and C. O'Farrelly, “Natural killer cells in psoriasis,” Journal of Innate Immunity, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 403–410, 2011.
- B. Bonish, D. Jullien, Y. Dutronc et al., “Overexpression of CD1d by keratinocytes in psoriasis and CD1d-dependent IFN-γ production by NK-T cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 7, pp. 4076–4085, 2000.
- S. N. Cohen, S. E. Baron, and C. B. Archer, “Guidance on the diagnosis and clinical management of psoriasis,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2012.
- C. Paul, A. Gallini, E. Archier et al., “Evidence-based recommendations on topical treatment and phototherapy of psoriasis: systematic review and expert opinion of a panel of dermatologists,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- National Psoriasis Foundation, “About Psoriasis: Statistics,” March 2013, http://www.psoriasis.org/learn_statistics.
- R. N. Herrier, “Advances in the treatment of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 795–806, 2011.
- E. E. Bailey, E. H. Ference, A. Alikhan, M. T. Hession, and A. W. Armstrong, “Combination treatments for psoriasis: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 511–522, 2012.
- Y. Cai, C. Fleming, and J. Yan, “New insights of T cells in the pathogenesis of psoriasis,” Cellular & Molecular Immunology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 302–309, 2012.
- A. R. Mason, J. Mason, M. Cork, G. Dooley, and G. Edwards, “Topical treatments for chronic plaque psoriasis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 15, no. 2, Article ID CD005028, 2009.
- D. G. Federman, C. W. Froelich, and R. S. Kirsner, “Topical psoriasis therapy,” American Family Physician, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 957–962, 1999.
- P. C. M. van de Kerkhof, K. Kragballe, S. Segaert, and M. Lebwohl, “Factors impacting the combination of topical corticosteroid therapies for psoriasis: perspectives from the international psoriasis council,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1130–1139, 2011.
- J. Q. del Rosso and G. K. Kim, “The rationale behind topical vitamin D analogs in the treatment of psoriasis where does topical calcitriol fit in?” Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 46–53, 2010.
- E. Archier, S. Devaux, E. Castela et al., “Efficacy of Psoralen UV-A therapy vs. Narrowband UV-B therapy in chronic plaque psoriasis: a systematic literature review,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 11–21, 2012.
- M. P. Schön, “Animal models of psoriasis: a critical appraisal,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 703–712, 2008.
- J. Jean and R. Pouliot, “In vivo and in vitro models of psoriasis,” in Tissue Engineering, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2010.
- L. van der Fits, S. Mourits, J. S. A. Voerman et al., “Imiquimod-induced psoriasis-like skin inflammation in mice is mediated via the IL-23/IL-17 axis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 182, no. 9, pp. 5836–5845, 2009.
- D. M. Danilenko, “Preclinical models of psoriasis,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 563–575, 2008.
- Y. Cai, X. Shen, C. Ding et al., “Pivotal role of dermal IL-17-producing γδ T cells in skin inflammation,” Immunity, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 596–610, 2011.
- T. Mabuchi, T. Takekoshi, and S. T. Hwang, “Epidermal CCR6+ γδ T cells are major producers of IL-22 and IL-17 in a murine model of psoriasiform dermatitis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 187, no. 10, pp. 5026–5031, 2011.
- U. Laggner, et al., “Identification of a novel proinflammatory human skin-homing Vgamma9Vdelta2 T cell subset with a potential role in psoriasis,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 187, no. 5, pp. 2783–2793, 2011.
- S. Kagami, H. L. Rizzo, J. J. Lee, Y. Koguchi, and A. Blauvelt, “Circulating Th17, Th22, and Th1 cells are increased in psoriasis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1373–1383, 2010.
- S. Trifari, C. D. Kaplan, E. H. Tran, N. K. Crellin, and H. Spits, “Identification of a human helper T cell population that has abundant production of interleukin 22 and is distinct from TH-17, TH1 and TH2 cells,” Nature Immunology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 864–871, 2009.
- P. C. M. Res, G. Piskin, O. J. de Boer et al., “Overrepresentation of IL-17A and IL-22 producing CD8 T cells in lesional skin suggests their involvement in the pathogenesis of psoriasis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 11, article e14108, 2010.
- H. Sugiyama, R. Gyulai, E. Toichi et al., “Dysfunctional blood and target tissue CD4+CD25high regulatory T cells in psoriasis: mechanism underlying unrestrained pathogenic effector T cell proliferation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 164–173, 2005.
- H. J. Bovenschen, P. C. van de Kerkhof, P. E. van Erp, R. Woestenenk, I. Joosten, and H. J. P. M. Koenen, “Foxp3 regulatory T cells of psoriasis patients easily differentiate into IL-17A-producing cells and are found in lesional skin,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 131, no. 9, pp. 1853–1860, 2011.
- L. M. Johnson-Huang, M. A. Lowes, and J. G. Krueger, “Putting together the psoriasis puzzle: an update on developing targeted therapies,” Disease Models & Mechanisms, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 423–433, 2012.
- P. M. Laws and H. S. Young, “Current and emerging systemic treatment strategies for psoriasis,” Drugs, vol. 72, no. 14, pp. 1867–1880, 2012.