- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 168438, 8 pages
Biomedical Applications of Fermenticin HV6b Isolated from Lactobacillus fermentum HV6b MTCC10770
Department of Biotechnology, Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab 147002, India
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 10 July 2013
Academic Editor: Hakan Bermek
Copyright © 2013 Baljinder Kaur et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Madhivanan, K. Krupp, J. Hardin, C. Karat, J. D. Klausner, and A. L. Reingold, “Simple and inexpensive point-of-care tests improve diagnosis of vaginal infections in resource constrained settings,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 703–708, 2009.
- D. A. Eschenbach, “History and review of bacterial vaginosis,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 441–445, 1993.
- P. B. Mead, “Epidemiology of bacterial vaginosis,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 446–449, 1993.
- Z. D. Ling, Q. Chang, J. W. Lipton, C. W. Tong, T. M. Landers, and P. M. Carvey, “Combined toxicity of prenatal bacterial endotoxin exposure and postnatal 6-hydroxydopamine in the adult rat midbrain,” Neuroscience, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 619–628, 2004.
- P. E. Hay, D. J. Morgan, C. A. Ison et al., “A longitudinal study of bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 1048–1053, 1994.
- H. Moi, R. Erkkola, F. Jerve et al., “Should male consorts of women with bacterial vaginosis be treated?” Genitourinary Medicine, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 263–268, 1989.
- J. G. Lossick, “Treatment of sexually transmitted vaginosis/vaginitis,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, supplement 6, pp. S665–S681, 1990.
- L. A. Simons, S. G. Amansec, and P. Conway, “Effect of Lactobacillus fermentum on serum lipids in subjects with elevated serum cholesterol,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 531–535, 2006.
- E. C. Lauritano, M. Gabrielli, E. Scarpellini et al., “Antibiotic therapy in small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: rifaximin versus metronidazole,” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2009.
- C. Barbés and S. Boris, “Potential role of lactobacilli as prophylactic agents against genital pathogens,” AIDS Patient Care and STDs, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 747–751, 1999.
- G. Famularo, M. Pieluigi, R. Coccia, P. Mastroiacovo, and C. De Simone, “Microecology, bacterial vaginosis and probiotics: perspectives for bacteriotherapy,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 421–430, 2001.
- L. Maggi, P. Mastromarino, S. Macchia et al., “Technological and biological evaluation of tablets containing different strains of lactobacilli for vaginal administration,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2000.
- K. E. Sutyak, R. A. Anderson, S. E. Dover et al., “Spermicidal activity of the safe natural antimicrobial peptide subtilosin,” Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2008, Article ID 540758, 2008.
- B. Kumar, P. P. Balgir, B. Kaur, B. Mittu, and N. Garg, “Antimicrobial and spermicidal activity of native and recombinant pediocin CP2: a comparative evaluation,” Archives of Clinical and Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 3, 2012.
- P. Blackburn and B. P. Goldstein, “Applied microbiology,” Inc. International Patent Application WO 97/10801, 1995.
- T. H. Howell, J. P. Fiorellini, P. Blackburn, S. J. Projan, J. De La Harpe, and R. C. Williams, “The effect of a mouthrinse based on nisin, a bacteriocin, on developing plaque and gingivitis in beagle dogs,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 335–339, 1993.
- P. McConville, “SmithKline Beecham,” Plc. International Patent Application WO 97: 06772, 1995.
- R. M. Peek, G. G. Miller, K. T. Tham et al., “Heightened inflammatory response and cytokine expression in vivo to cagA+ Helicobacter pylori strains,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 760–770, 1995.
- C. van Kraaij, W. M. de Vos, R. J. Siezen, and O. P. Kuipers, “Lantibiotics: biosynthesis, mode of action and applications,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 575–587, 1999.
- H. Farkas-Himsley, J. Freedman, S. E. Read, S. Asad, and M. Kardish, “Bacterial proteins cytotoxic to HIV-1-infected cells,” AIDS, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 905–907, 1991.
- B. Kaur, P. P. Balgir, B. Mittu, A. Chauhan, B. Kumar, and N. Garg, “Isolation and In vitro characterization of anti-Gardnerella vaginalis bacteriocin producing Lactobacillus fermentum HV6b isolated from human vaginal ecosystem,” Internatinal Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, vol. 1, no. 3, p. 41, 2012.
- R. Yang, M. C. Johnson, and B. Ray, “Novel method to extract large amounts of bacteriocins from lactic acid bacteria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 3355–3359, 1992.
- L. M. Cintas, J. M. Rodriguez, M. F. Fernandez et al., “Isolation and characterization of pediocin L50, a new bacteriocin from Pediococcus acidilactici with a broad inhibitory spectrum,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 2643–2648, 1995.
- M. J. Pucci, E. R. Vedamuthu, B. S. Kunka, and P. A. Vandenbergh, “Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by using bacteriocin PA-1 produced by Pediococcus acidilactici PAC 1.0,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 2349–2353, 1988.
- R. D. Wilson, P. M. Fricke, M. L. Leibfried-Rutledge, J. J. Rutledge, C. M. S. Penfield, and K. A. Weigel, “In vitro production of bovine embryos using sex-sorted sperm,” Theriogenology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1007–1015, 2006.
- T. Katla, K. Naterstad, M. Vancanneyt, J. Swings, and L. Axelsson, “Differences in susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes strains to sakacin P, sakacin A, pediocin PA-1, and nisin,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 4431–4437, 2003.
- B. Kumar, P. P. Balgir, B. Kaur, B. Mittu, and A. Chauhan, “In Vitro cytotoxicity of native and rec-pediocin CP2 against cancer cell lines: a comparative study,” Pharmaceutical Analytical Acta, vol. 3, p. 183, 2012.
- M. Thirabunyanon, “Biotherapy for and protection against gastrointestinal pathogenic infections via action of probiotic bacteria,” Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 108–128, 2011.
- C. T. Lohans and J. C. Vederas, “Development of class IIa bacteriocins as therapeutic agents,” International Journal of Microbiology, vol. 2012, Article ID 386410, 13 pages, 2012.
- S. D. Todorov, M. Botes, S. T. Danova, and L. M. T. Dicks, “Probiotic properties of Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis HV219, isolated from human vaginal secretions,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 629–639, 2007.
- E. J. Ridgway and J. M. Brown, “Listeria monocytogenes meningitis in the acquired immune deficiency syndrome-limitations of conventional typing methods in tracing a foodborne source,” Journal of Infection, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 167–171, 1989.
- S. Boris and C. Barbés, “Role played by lactobacilli in controlling the population of vaginal pathogens,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 543–546, 2000.
- R. D. Joerger, “Alternatives to antibiotics: bacteriocins, antimicrobial peptides and bacteriophages,” Poultry Science, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 640–647, 2003.
- K. V. R. Reddy, C. Aranha, S. M. Gupta, and R. D. Yedery, “Evaluation of antimicrobial peptide nisin as a safe vaginal contraceptive agent in rabbits: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Reproduction, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 2004.
- C. Vogt, Untersuchungen Uber Die Entwicklungsgeschichte Der Geburtshelferkroete (Alytes Obstetricians), Jent & Gassman, Solothurn, Switzerland, 1842.
- H. Farkas-Himsley and R. Cheung, “Bacterial proteinaceous products (Bacteriocins) as cytotoxic agents of neoplasia,” Cancer Research, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 3561–3567, 1976.
- A. Jayawardene and H. Farkas-Himsley, “Vibriocin: a Bacteriocin from Vibrio comma II. Interaction with sensitive bacteria,” MicroBios, vol. 4, p. 325, 1969.
- M. Nomura, “Colicins and related bacteriocins,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 21, pp. 257–284, 1967.
- L. Plant and P. Conway, “Association of Lactobacillus spp. with Peyer's patches in mice,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 320–324, 2001.
- L. J. Plant and P. L. Conway, “Adjuvant properties and colonization potential of adhering and non-adhering Lactobacillus spp. following oral administration to mice,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 105–111, 2002.
- S. Kang and P. L. Conway, “Characteristics of the adhesion of PCC® Lactobacillus fermentum VRI 003 to Peyer's patches,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2006.