- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 168581, 8 pages
Recovery of Stored Aerobic Granular Sludge and Its Contaminants Removal Efficiency under Different Operation Conditions
1State Key Laboratory of Urban Water Resource and Environment, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin 150090, China
2School of Environment and Civil Engineering, Jiangnan University, Wuxi 214122, China
Received 17 May 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: José Manuel Domínguez González
Copyright © 2013 Zhiwei Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Adav, D. J. Lee, K. Y. Show, and J. H. Tay, “Aerobic granular sludge: recent advances,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 411–423, 2008.
- T. Seviour, Z. G. Yuan, M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, and Y. M. Lin, “Aerobic sludge granulation: a tale of two polysaccharides,” Water Research, vol. 46, no. 15, pp. 4803–4813, 2012.
- M. K. de Kreuk, J. J. Heijnen, and M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, “Simultaneous COD, nitrogen, and phosphate removal by aerobic granular sludge,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 761–769, 2005.
- L. L. Liu, Z. P. Wang, J. Yao, X. J. Sun, and W. M. Cai, “Investigation on the properties and kinetics of glucose-fed aerobic granular sludge,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 36, no. 2-3, pp. 307–313, 2005.
- B. Y. P. Moy, J. H. Tay, S. K. Toh, et al., “High organic loading influences the physical characteristics of aerobic sludge granules,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 407–412, 2002.
- H. L. Jiang, S. T. L. Tay, and J. H. Tay, “Changes in structure, activity and metabolism of aerobic granules as a microbial response to high phenol loading,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 602–608, 2004.
- X. F. Sun, C. Y. Liu, Y. Ma, et al., “Enhanced Cu(II) and Cr(VI) biosorption capacity on poly(ethylenimine) grafted aerobic granular sludge,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 456–462, 2011.
- H. Xu, Y. Liu, and J. H. Tay, “Effect of pH on nickel biosorption by aerobic granular sludge,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 359–363, 2006.
- L. M. M. de Bruin, M. K. de Kreuk, H. F. R. van der Roest, et al., “Aerobic granular sludge technology: an alternative to activated sludge?” Water Science and Technology, vol. 49, no. 11-12, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- Y. Liu and J. H. Tay, “The essential role of hydrodynamic shear force in the formation of biofilm and granular sludge,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1653–1665, 2002.
- B. S. McSwain, R. L. Irvine, M. Hausner, and P. A. Wilderer, “Composition and distribution of extracellular polymeric substances in aerobic flocs and granular sludge,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 1051–1057, 2005.
- S. Wang, W. X. Shi, S. L. Yu, et al., “Formation of aerobic granules by Mg2+ and Al3+ augmentation in sequencing batch airlift reactor at low temperature,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1049–1055, 2012.
- D. W. Gao, X. J. Yuan, and H. Liang, “Reactivation performance of aerobic granules under different storage strategies,” Water Research, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 3315–3322, 2012.
- R. L. Bao, S. L. Yu, W. X. Shi, X. Zhang, and Y. Wang, “Aerobic granules formation and nutrients removal characteristics in sequencing batch airlift reactor (SBAR) at low temperature,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 168, no. 2-3, pp. 1334–1340, 2009.
- G. J. F. Smolders, J. M. Klop, M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, and J. J. Heijnen, “A metabolic model of the biological phosphorus removal process. I. Effect of the sludge retention time,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 222–233, 1995.
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 20th edition, 1998.
- A. Laguna, A. Ouattara, R. O. Gonzalez et al., “A simple and low cost technique for determining the granulometry of upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor sludge,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1–8, 1999.
- N. Schwarzenbeck, R. Erley, and P. A. Wilderer, “Aerobic granular sludge in an SBR-system treating wastewater rich in particulate matter,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 49, no. 11-12, pp. 41–46, 2004.
- M. Dubois, K. A. Gilles, J. K. Hamilton, P. A. Rebers, and F. Smith, “Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 350–356, 1956.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- S. T. L. Tay, V. Ivanov, S. Yi, W. Q. Zhuang, and J. H. Tay, “Presence of anaerobic Bacteroides in aerobically grown microbial granules,” Microbial Ecology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 278–285, 2002.
- Y. Q. Liu, Y. Liu, and J. H. Tay, “The effects of extracellular polymeric substances on the formation and stability of biogranules,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 2004.
- S. S. Adav, D. J. Lee, and J. Y. Lai, “Effects of aeration intensity on formation of phenol-fed aerobic granules and extracellular polymeric substances,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 175–182, 2007.
- S. Wang, W. X. Shi, S. L. Yu, and X. S. Yi, “Rapid cultivation of aerobic granular sludge by bone glue augmentation and contaminant removal characteristics,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1627–1633, 2013.
- L. Tijhuis, M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, and J. J. Heijnen, “Formation and growth of heterotrophic aerobic biofilms on small suspended particles in airlift reactors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 595–608, 1994.
- A. Mosquera-Corral, M. K. de Kreuk, J. J. Heijnen, and M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, “Effects of oxygen concentration on N-removal in an aerobic granular sludge reactor,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2676–2686, 2005.
- Y. M. Lin, Y. Liu, and J. H. Tay, “Development and characteristics of phosphorus-accumulating microbial granules in sequencing batch reactors,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 430–435, 2003.
- J. W. Costerton, R. T. Irvin, and K. J. Cheng, “The bacterial glycocalyx in nature and disease,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 35, pp. 299–324, 1981.
- J. H. Tay, Q. S. Liu, and Y. Liu, “The role of cellular polysaccharides in the formation and stability of aerobic granules,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 222–226, 2001.
- M. K. de Kreuk, M. Pronk, and M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, “Formation of aerobic granules and conversion processes in an aerobic granular sludge reactor at moderate and low temperatures,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 18, pp. 4476–4484, 2005.
- Y. M. Zheng, H. Q. Yu, S. J. Liu, and X. Z. Liu, “Formation and instability of aerobic granules under high organic loading conditions,” Chemosphere, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1791–1800, 2006.
- C. M. López Vázquez, C. M. Hooijmans, D. Brdjanovic, H. J. Gijzen, and M. C. M. van Loosdrecht, “Factors affecting the microbial populations at full-scale enhanced biological phosphorus removal (EBPR) wastewater treatment plants in The Netherlands,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 10-11, pp. 2349–2360, 2008.