- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 168765, 7 pages
Multimolecular Salivary Mucin Complex Is Altered in Saliva of Cigarette Smokers: Detection of Disulfide Bridges by Raman Spectroscopy
1Department of Functional Biology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacho, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan
2Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacho, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan
3Department of Oral Medicine, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacho, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan
4Department of Dental Sociology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacho, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan
5Yokohama Training Center, Kanagawa Dental College, 3-31-6 Turuyacho, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama 221-0835, Japan
6Department of Pathology, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama 230-8501, Japan
7Clinical Laboratory, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacho, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan
Received 24 April 2012; Revised 1 July 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Y. James Kang
Copyright © 2013 Motoe Taniguchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Kondakova, E. A. Lissi, and M. Pizarro, “Total reactive antioxidant potential in human saliva of smokers and non-smokers,” Biochemistry and Molecular Biology International, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 911–920, 1999.
- B. Zappacosta, S. Persichilli, P. De Sole, A. Mordente, and B. Giardina, “Effect of smoking one cigarette on antioxidant metabolites in the saliva of healthy smokers,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 485–488, 1999.
- B. L. Slomiany, V. L. N. Murty, J. Piotrowski, and A. Slomiany, “Salivary mucins in oral mucosal defense,” General Pharmacology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 761–771, 1996.
- S. A. Rayment, B. Liu, G. D. Offner, F. G. Oppenheim, and R. F. Troxler, “Immunoquantification of human salivary mucins MG1 and MG2 in stimulated whole saliva: factors influencing mucin levels,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1765–1772, 2000.
- P. C. Denny, P. A. Denny, D. K. Klauser, S. H. Hong, M. Navazesh, and L. A. Tabak, “Age-related changes in mucins from human whole saliva,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 1320–1327, 1991.
- I. Iontcheva, F. G. Oppenheim, and R. F. Troxler, “Human salivary mucin MG1 selectively forms heterotypic complexes with amylase, proline-rich proteins, statherin, and histatins,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 734–743, 1997.
- E. R. Stadtman, P. E. Starke-Reed, C. N. Oliver, J. M. Carney, and R. A. Floyd, “Protein modification in aging,” EXS, vol. 62, pp. 64–72, 1992.
- E. R. Stadtman and R. L. Levine, “Free radical-mediated oxidation of free amino acids and amino acid residues in proteins,” Amino Acids, vol. 25, no. 3-4, pp. 207–218, 2003.
- I. A. Brownlee, J. Knight, P. W. Dettmar, and J. P. Pearson, “Action of reactive oxygen species on colonic mucus secretions,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 800–808, 2007.
- S. M. Marino, Y. Li, D. E. Fomenko, N. Agisheva, R. L. Cerny, and V. N. Gladyshev, “Characterization of surface-exposed reactive cysteine residues in saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Biochemistry, vol. 49, no. 35, pp. 7709–7721, 2010.
- E. Gensch, M. Gallup, A. Sucher et al., “Tobacco smoke control of mucin production in lung cells requires oxygen radicals AP-1 and JNK,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 37, pp. 39085–39093, 2004.
- R. A. O'Donnell, A. Richter, J. Ward et al., “Expression of ErbB receptor and mucins in the airways of long term current smokers,” Thorax, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1032–1040, 2004.
- M. X. G. Shao, T. Nakanaga, and J. A. Nadel, “Cigarette smoke induces MUC5AC mucin overproduction via tumor necrosis factor-α-converting enzyme in human airway epithelial (NCI-H292) cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. L420–L427, 2004.
- S. M. Casalino-Matsuda, M. E. Monzon, A. J. Day, and R. M. Forteza, “Hyaluronan fragments/CD44 mediate oxidative stress-induced MUC5B up-regulation in airway epithelium,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 277–285, 2009.
- R. M. Nagler, I. Klein, N. Zarzhevsky, N. Drigues, and A. Z. Reznick, “Characterization of the differentiated antioxidant profile of human saliva,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 268–277, 2002.
- Y. Suzuki, V. Lyall, T. U. L. Biber, and G. D. Ford, “A modified technique for the measurement of sulfhydryl groups oxidized by reactive oxygen intermediates,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 479–484, 1990.
- P. A. Denny, P. C. Denny, and K. Jenkins, “Purification and biochemical characterization of a mouse submandibular sialomucin,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 265–274, 1980.
- H. Watabe, T. Furuhama, N. Tani-Ishii, and Y. Mikuni-Takagaki, “Mechanotransduction activates alphabeta integrin and PI3K/Akt signaling pathways in mandibular osteoblasts,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 317, no. 18, pp. 2642–2649, 2011.
- Y. Matsumoto, Y. Mikuni-Takagaki, Y. Kozai et al., “Prior treatment with vitamin K2 significantly improves the efficacy of risedronate,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1863–1872, 2009.
- M. C. Chen, R. C. Lord, and R. Mendelsohn, “Laser-excited Raman spectroscopy of biomolecules—V. Conformational changes associated with the chemical denaturation of lysozyme,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 3038–3042, 1974.
- S. W. Raso, P. L. Clark, C. Haase-Pettingell, J. King, and G. J. Thomas Jr., “Distinct cysteine sulfhydryl environments detected by analysis of raman S-H markers of Cys → Ser mutant proteins,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 307, no. 3, pp. 899–911, 2001.
- R. Agnihotri, P. Pandurang, S. U. Kamath et al., “Association of cigarette smoking with superoxide dismutase enzyme levels in subjected with chonic periodontitis,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 657–662, 2009.
- M. T. Ashby, “Inorganic chemistry of defensive peroxidases in the human oral cavity,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 900–914, 2008.
- G. R. Brock, C. J. Butterworth, J. B. Matthews, and I. L. C. Chapple, “Local and systemic total antioxidant capacity in periodontitis and health,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 515–521, 2004.
- M. R. Giuca, E. Giuggioli, M. R. Metelli et al., “Effects of cigarette smoke on salivary superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activity,” Journal of Biological Regulators and Homeostatic Agents, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 359–366, 2010.
- M. J. Levine, M. S. Reddy, L. A. Tabak et al., “Structural aspects of salivary glycoproteins,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 436–441, 1987.