- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 171059, 6 pages
Sympathomimetic Activity of a Hoodia gordonii Product: A Possible Mechanism of Cardiovascular Side Effects
1Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Szeged, Eötvös u. 6, Szeged 6720, Hungary
2Department of Pharmacodynamics and Biopharmacy, University of Szeged, Eötvös u. 6, Szeged 6720, Hungary
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 30 August 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: Gail B. Mahady
Copyright © 2013 Orsolya Roza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. A. Kennett and P. G. Clifton, “New approaches to the pharmacological treatment of obesity: can they break through the efficacy barrier?” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 63–83, 2010.
- J. G. Kangand and C. Y. Park, “Anti-obesity drugs: a review about their effects and safety,” Diabetes & Metabolism Journal, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 13–25, 2012.
- J. W. Yun, “Possible anti-obesity therapeutics from nature—a review,” Phytochemistry, vol. 71, no. 14-15, pp. 1625–1641, 2010.
- F. R. van Heerden, “Hoodia gordonii: a natural appetite suppressant,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 434–437, 2008.
- D. B. MacLean and L.-G. Luo, “Increased ATP content/production in the hypothalamus may be a signal for energy-sensing of satiety: studies of the anorectic mechanism of a plant steroidal glycoside,” Brain Research, vol. 1020, no. 1-2, pp. 1–11, 2004.
- V. L. M. Madgula, M. K. Ashfaq, Y.-H. Wang et al., “Bioavailability, pharmacokinetics, and tissue distribution of the oxypregnane steroidal glycoside P57AS3 (P57) from Hoodia gordonii in mouse model,” Planta Medica, vol. 76, no. 14, pp. 1582–1586, 2010.
- B. L. Nevé, M. Foltz, H. Daniel, and R. Gouka, “The steroid glycoside H.g.-12 from Hoodia gordonii activates the human bitter receptor TAS2R14 and induces CCK release from HuTu-80 cells,” American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 299, no. 6, pp. G1368–G1375, 2010.
- R. S. Pawar, Y. J. Shukla, S. I. Khan, B. Avula, and I. A. Khan, “New oxypregnane glycosides from appetite suppressant herbal supplement Hoodia gordonii,” Steroids, vol. 72, no. 6-7, pp. 524–534, 2007.
- S. Dall'Acqua and G. Innocenti, “Steroidal glycosides from Hoodia gordonii,” Steroids, vol. 72, no. 6-7, pp. 559–568, 2007.
- Y. J. Shukla, R. S. Pawar, Y. Ding, X.-C. Li, D. Ferreira, and I. A. Khan, “Pregnane glycosides from Hoodia gordonii,” Phytochemistry, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 675–683, 2009.
- R. S. Pawar, Y. J. Shukla, and I. A. Khan, “New calogenin glycosides from Hoodia gordonii,” Steroids, vol. 72, no. 13, pp. 881–891, 2007.
- P. J. Russell and C. Swindells, “Chemical characterisation of Hoodia gordonii extract,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, supplement 1, pp. S6–S13, 2012.
- A. Jürgens, S. Dötterl, and U. Meve, “The chemical nature of fetid floral odours in stapeliads (Apocynaceae-Asclepiadoideae-Ceropegieae),” New Phytologist, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 452–468, 2006.
- F. R. van Heerden, R. Marthinus Horak, V. J. Maharaj, R. Vleggaar, J. V. Senabe, and P. J. Gunning, “An appetite suppressant from Hoodia species,” Phytochemistry, vol. 68, no. 20, pp. 2545–2553, 2007.
- T. D. Mohlapo, J. W. Ng'ambi, D. Norris, and M. M. Malatje, “Effect of Hoodia gordonii meal supplementation at finisher stage on productivity and carcass characteristics of Ross 308 broiler chickens,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1591–1596, 2009.
- F. R. van Heerden, R. Vleggaar, R. M. Horak, R. A. Learmonth, V. J. Maharaj, and R. D. Whittal, “Pharmaceutical compositions having appetite-suppressant activity,” US patent US6376657 B1, 1998.
- W. A. M. Blom, S. L. Abrahamse, R. Bradford et al., “Effects of 15-d repeated consumption of Hoodia gordonii purified extract on safety, ad libitum energy intake, and body weight in healthy, overweight women: a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1171–1181, 2011.
- A. B. Champagne and K. V. Emmel, “Rapid screening test for adulteration in raw materials of dietary supplements,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 216–223, 2011.
- J. Jung, M. Hermanns-Clausen, and W. Weinmann, “Anorectic sibutramine detected in a Chinese herbal drug for weight loss,” Forensic Science International, vol. 161, no. 2-3, pp. 221–222, 2006.
- D. Csupor, K. Boros, B. Danko, K. Veres, K. Szendrei, and J. Hohmann, “Rapid identification of sibutramine in dietary supplements using a stepwise approach,” Die Pharmazie, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 2013.
- P. Valverius, P. L. Hoffman, and B. Tabakoff, “Effect of ethanol on mouse cerebral cortical β-adrenergic receptors,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 217–222, 1987.
- H.-G. Janssen, C. Swindells, P. Gunning et al., “Quantification of appetite suppressing steroid glycosides from Hoodia gordonii in dried plant material, purified extracts and food products using HPLC-UV and HPLC-MS methods,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 617, no. 1-2, pp. 200–207, 2008.
- Division des Stupéfiants, “Méthodes recommandées pour l'identification de l'amphétamine et de la métamphétamine,” United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- C. S. Rumalla, B. Avula, Y. J. Shukla et al., “Chemical fingerprint of Hoodia species, dietary supplements, and related genera by using HPTLC,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 31, no. 22, pp. 3959–3964, 2008.
- G. Csik, G. Spiegl, R. Minorics, G. Falkay, and I. Zupko, “The effects of adjuvant arthritis on the myometrial adrenergic functions in the nonpregnant and the late-pregnant rat,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 629–636, 2010.
- C. J. van Platerink, H.-G. M. Janssen, B. Graf, L. Abrahamse, and J. Haverkamp, “Quantification of steroid glycosides from Hoodia gordonii in porcine plasma using high performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 879, no. 11-12, pp. 819–825, 2011.
- J.-A. Fernández-López, X. Remesar, M. Foz, and M. Alemany, “Pharmacological approaches for the treatment of obesity,” Drugs, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 915–944, 2002.
- L. Landsberg, M. E. Saville, and J. B. Young, “Sympathoadrenal system and regulation of thermogenesis,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 247, no. 2, part 1, pp. E181–E189, 1984.
- B. B. Lowell and B. M. Spiegelman, “Towards a molecular understanding of adaptive thermogenesis,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6778, pp. 652–660, 2000.