- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 178973, 8 pages
Development and Characterization of Novel Polyurethane Films Impregnated with Tolfenamic Acid for Therapeutic Applications
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The Kroto Research Institute, University of Sheffield, North Campus, Broad Lane, Sheffield S3 7HQ, UK
Received 12 April 2013; Accepted 29 July 2013
Academic Editor: René Holm
Copyright © 2013 Hilal Istanbullu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Comolli, O. Donaldson, N. Grantier, V. Zhukareva, and V. J. Tom, “Polyvinyl alcohol-polyvinyl pyrrolidone thin films provide local short-term release of anti-inflammatory agents post spinal cord injury,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 1867–1873, 2012.
- D. A. Bernards, K. D. Lance, N. A. Ciaccio, and T. A. Desai, “Nanostructured thin film polymer devices for constant-rate protein delivery,” Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 5355–5361, 2012.
- O. Fulgêncio Gde, F. A. Viana, R. R. Ribeiro, M. I. Yoshida, A. G. Faraco, and S. Ada Jr., “New mucoadhesive chitosan film for ophthalmic drug delivery of timolol maleate: in vivo evaluation,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 350–358, 2012.
- S. Nagarajan, B. S. Reddy, and J. Tsibouklis, “In vitro effect on cancer cells: synthesis and preparation of polyurethane membranes for controlled delivery of curcumin,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 410–417, 2011.
- P. Mura, G. Corti, M. Cirri, F. Maestrelli, N. Mennini, and M. Bragagni, “Development of mucoadhesive films for buccal administration of flufenamic acid: effect of cyclodextrin complexation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 3019–3029, 2010.
- A. Dinge and M. Nagarsenker, “Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving films for delivery of triclosan to the oral cavity,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 349–356, 2008.
- G. T. Howard, “Biodegradation of polyurethane: a review,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 245–252, 2002.
- I. Clemitson, Castable Polyurethane Elastomers, CRC, Press Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2008.
- T. Thomson, Polyurethanes as Specialty Chemicals—Principles and Application, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fla,USA, 2005.
- S. A. Guelcher, “Biodegradable polyurethanes: synthesis and applications in regenerative medicine,” Tissue Engineering B, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 3–17, 2008.
- I. U. Rehman, “Biodegradable polyurethanes: biodegradable low adherence films for the prevention of adhesions after surgery,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 182–256, 1996.
- R. J. Zdrahala and I. J. Zdrahala, “Biomedical applications of polyurethanes: a review of past promises, present realities, and a vibrant future,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 67–90, 1999.
- M. Castonguay, J. T. Koberstein, Z. Zhang, and G. Laroche, “Synthesis, physicochemical and surface characteristics of polyurethanes,” in Biomedical Applications of Polyurethanes, P. Vermette, H. J. Griesser, G. Laroche, and R. Guidoin, Eds., chapter 1, Landes Bioscience, Austin, Tex, USA, 2001.
- N. Roohpour, J. M. Wasikiewicz, D. Paul, P. Vadgama, and I. U. Rehman, “Synthesis and characterisation of enhanced barrier polyurethane for encapsulation of implantable medical devices,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1803–1814, 2009.
- R. Janardhan, K. Ramamurthy, and J. S. Anand, “Solution properties of polyurethane,” Polymer Testing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 397–404, 1994.
- British National Formulary 61, BMJ Group and RPS Publishing, London, UK, 2011.
- S. C. Sweetman, Ed., Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference, Electronic version, Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK, 36th edition, 2009.
- L. I. Adwan, R. Basha, M. Abdelrahim, G. M. Subaiea, and N. H. Zawia, “Tolfenamic acid interrupts the de novo synthesis of the β-amyloid precursor protein and lowers amyloid beta via a transcriptional pathway,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 385–392, 2011.
- G. M. Subaiea, B. H. Alansi, D. A. Serra, M. Alwan, and N. H. Zawia, “The ability of tolfenamic acid to penetrate the brain: a model for testing the brain disposition of candidate Alzheimer's drugs using multiple platforms,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 860–867, 2011.
- X. Liu, M. Abdelrahim, A. Abudayyeh, P. Lei, and S. Safe, “The nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug tolfenamic acid inhibits BT474 and SKBR3 breast cancer cell and tumor growth by repressing erbB2 expression,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1207–1217, 2009.
- J. Colon, M. R. Basha, R. Madero-Visbal et al., “Tolfenamic acid decreases c-Met expression through Sp proteins degradation and inhibits lung cancer cells growth and tumor formation in orthotopic mice,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2011.
- J.-H. Kim, J.-Y. Jung, J.-H. Shim et al., “Apoptotic effect of tolfenamic acid in KB human oral cancer cells: possible involvement of the p38 MAPK pathway,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 74–80, 2010.
- J.-H. Shim, J.-A. Shin, J.-Y. Jung et al., “Chemopreventive effect of tolfenamic acid on KB human cervical cancer cells and tumor xenograft by downregulating specificity protein 1,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 102–111, 2011.
- S. U. Kang, Y. S. Shin, H. S. Hwang, S. J. Baek, S.-H. Lee, and C.-H. Kim, “Tolfenamic acid induces apoptosis and growth inhibition in head and neck cancer: involvement of NAG-1 expression,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, article e34988, 2012.
- S. B. Pedersen, “Biopharmaceutical aspects of tolfenamic acid,” Pharmacology and Toxicology, Supplement, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 22–32, 1994.
- P. J. Pentikainen, P. J. Neuvonen, and C. Backman, “Human pharmacokinetics of tolfenamic acid, a new anti-inflammatory agent,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 359–365, 1981.
- B. C. Hancock and G. Zografi, “Characteristics and significance of the amorphous state in pharmaceutical systems,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- B. Van Eerdenbrugh and L. S. Taylor, “Small scale screening to determine the ability of different polymers to inhibit drug crystallization upon rapid solvent evaporation,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1328–1337, 2010.
- N. S. Trasi and L. S. Taylor, “Effect of polymers on nucleation and crystal growth of amorphous acetaminophen,” CrystEngCommunity, vol. 14, no. 16, pp. 5188–5197, 2012.
- B. Shah, V. K. Kakumanu, and A. K. Bansal, “Analytical techniques for quantification of amorphous/crystalline phases in pharmaceutical solids,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1641–1665, 2006.
- P. Thybo, J. Kristensen, and L. Hovgaard, “Characterization and physical stability of tolfenamic acid-PVP K30 solid dispersions,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 43–53, 2007.
- U. S. Kestur, B. Van Eerdenbrugh, and L. S. Taylor, “Influence of polymer chemistry on crystal growth inhibition of two chemically diverse organic molecules,” CrystEngCommunity, vol. 13, no. 22, pp. 6712–6718, 2011.
- S. Ahmed, M. A. Sheraz, and I. U. Rehman, “Studies on tolfenamic acid-chitosan intermolecular interactions: effect of pH, polymer concentration and molecular weight,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 870–879, 2013.
- K. Gong, R. Viboonkiat, I. U. Rehman, G. Buckton, and J. A. Darr, “Formation and characterization of porous indomethacin-PVP coprecipitates prepared using solvent-free supercritical fluid processing,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 2583–2590, 2005.
- K. Gong, M. Braden, M. P. Patel, I. U. Rehman, Z. Zhang, and J. A. Darr, “Controlled release of chlorhexidine diacetate from a porous methacrylate system: supercritical fluid assisted foaming and impregnation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 2048–2056, 2007.
- K. Gong, I. U. Rehman, and J. A. Darr, “Synthesis of poly(sebacic anhydride)-indomethacin controlled release composites via supercritical carbon dioxide assisted impregnation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 338, no. 1-2, pp. 191–197, 2007.
- K. Gong, I. U. Rehman, and J. A. Darr, “Characterization and drug release investigation of amorphous drug-hydroxypropyl methylcellulose composites made via supercritical carbon dioxide assisted impregnation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1112–1119, 2008.
- D. R. Lide, Ed., CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Internet Version, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 90th edition, 2010.
- V. W. Srichartrapimuk and S. L. Cooper, “Infrared thermal analysis of polyurethane block polymers,” Journal of Macromolecular Science B, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 267–311, 1978.
- R. K. Gilpin and W. Zhou, “Infrared studies of the polymorphic states of the fenamates,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 509–515, 2005.
- S. Jabeen, T. J. Dines, S. A. Leharne, and B. Z. Chowdhry, “Raman and IR spectroscopic studies of fenamates-conformational differences in polymorphs of flufenamic acid, mefenamic acid and tolfenamic acid,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 96, pp. 972–985, 2012.
- S. Ahmed, M. A. Sheraz, C. Yorucu, and I. U. Rehman, “Quantitative determination of tolfenamic acid and its pharmaceutical formulation using FTIR and UV spectrometry,” Central European Journal of Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1533–1541, 2013.