- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 181384, 7 pages
Downregulation of DLC-1 Gene by Promoter Methylation during Primary Colorectal Cancer Progression
1Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai Changning District Cental Hospital, Shanghai 200336, China
2Department of Respiratory Medicine, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
3Department of Laboratory Medicine, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
4Central Laboratory, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
5Department of Nursing, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
Received 16 July 2012; Revised 9 October 2012; Accepted 23 October 2012
Academic Editor: Colin Cooper
Copyright © 2013 Haixia Peng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. D. Markowitz and M. M. Bertagnolli, “Molecular basis of colorectal cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 25, pp. 2404–2460, 2009.
- S. J. Baker, A. C. Preisinger, J. M. Jessup et al., “p53 Gene mutations occur in combination with 17p allelic deletions as late events in colorectal tumorigenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 50, no. 23, pp. 7717–7722, 1990.
- H. Davies, G. R. Bignell, C. Cox et al., “Mutations of the BRAF gene in human cancer,” Nature, vol. 417, no. 6892, pp. 949–954, 2002.
- K. Forrester, C. Almoguera, K. Han, W. E. Grizzle, and M. Perucho, “Detection of high incidence of K-ras oncogenes during human colon tumorigenesis,” Nature, vol. 327, no. 6120, pp. 298–303, 1987.
- K. H. Goss and J. Groden, “Biology of the adenomatous polyposis coli tumor suppressor,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1967–1979, 2000.
- L. Barault, C. Charon-Barra, V. Jooste et al., “Hypermethylator phenotype in sporadic colon cancer: study on a population-based series of 582 cases,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 20, pp. 8541–8546, 2008.
- S. Goodison, J. Yuan, D. Sloan et al., “The RhoGAP protein DLC-1 functions as a metastasis suppressor in breast cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 14, pp. 6042–6053, 2005.
- K. D. Healy, L. Hodgson, T. Y. Kim et al., “DLC-1 suppresses non-small cell lung cancer growth and invasion by RhoGAP-dependent and independent mechanisms,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 326–337, 2008.
- Y. C. Liao and S. H. Lo, “Deleted in liver cancer-1 (DLC-1): a tumor suppressor not just for liver,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 843–847, 2008.
- B. Z. Yuan, M. J. Miller, C. L. Keck, D. B. Zimonjic, S. S. Thorgeirsson, and N. C. Popescu, “Cloning, characterization, and chromosomal localization of a gene frequently deleted in human liver cancer (DLC-1) homologous to rat RhoGAP,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 2196–2199, 1998.
- B. Z. Yuan, X. Zhou, M. E. Durkin et al., “DLC-1 gene inhibits human breast cancer cell growth and in vivo tumorigenicity,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 445–450, 2003.
- X. Zhou, S. S. Thorgeirsson, and N. C. Popescu, “Restoration of DLC-1 gene expression induces apoptosis and inhibits both cell growth and tumorigenicity in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1308–1313, 2004.
- M. E. Durkin, B. Z. Yuan, X. Zhou et al., “DLC-1: a Rho GTPase-activating protein and tumour suppressor,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1185–1207, 2007.
- V. Ullmannova and N. C. Popescu, “Expression profile of the tumor suppressor genes DLC-1 and DLC-2 in solid tumors,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1127–1132, 2006.
- T. Y. Kim, H. S. Jong, S. H. Song et al., “Transcriptional silencing of the DLC-1 tumor suppressor gene by epigenetic mechanism in gastric cancer cells,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 25, pp. 3943–3951, 2003.
- C. M. Wong, J. M. F. Lee, Y. P. Ching, D. Y. Jin, and I. O. L. Ng, “Genetic and epigenetic alterations of DLC-1 gene in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 22, pp. 7646–7651, 2003.
- B. Z. Yuan, M. E. Durkin, and N. C. Popescu, “Promoter hypermethylation of DLC-1, a candidate tumor suppressor gene, in several common human cancers,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 113–117, 2003.
- B. Z. Yuan, A. M. Jefferson, K. T. Baldwin, S. S. Thorgeirsson, N. C. Popescu, and S. H. Reynolds, “DLC-1 operates as a tumor suppressor gene in human non-small cell lung carcinomas,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1405–1411, 2004.
- M. Guan, X. Zhou, N. Soulitzis, D. A. Spandidos, and N. C. Popescu, “Aberrant methylation and deacetylation of deleted in liver cancer-1 gene in prostate cancer: potential clinical applications,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1412–1419, 2006.
- M. Pichler, M. Balic, E. Stadelmeyer et al., “Evaluation of high-resolution melting analysis as a diagnostic tool to detect the BRAF V600E mutation in colorectal tumors,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2009.
- C. Zhang, W. Guo, J. Wu et al., “Differential high-resolution melting analysis for the detection of K-ras codons 12 and 13 mutations in pancreatic cancer,” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 8, p. 1283, 2011.
- R. T. Chlebowski, J. Wactawski-Wende, C. Ritenbaugh et al., “Estrogen plus progestin and colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 10, pp. 991–1004, 2004.
- J. B. Liu, S. Q. Zhang, M. X. Shi, B. F. Shao, and Y. X. Zhang, “Relationship between methylation status of DLC-1 gene and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma,” World Chinese Journal of Digestology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1237–1240, 2008.
- Y. Jin, X. Tian, Y. Shang, and P. Huang, “Inhibition of DLC-1 gene expression by RNA interference in the colon cancer Lo Vo cell line,” Oncology Reports, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 669–674, 2008.
- Z. Kang, F. Xu, Q. A. Zhang et al., “Correlation of DLC1 gene methylation with oncogenic PIK3CA mutations in extramammary Paget's disease,” Modern Pathology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1160–1168, 2012.
- L. A. S. Carragher, K. R. Snell, S. M. Giblett et al., “V600EBraf induces gastrointestinal crypt senescence and promotes tumour progression through enhanced CpG methylation of p16INK4a,” EMBO Molecular Medicine, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 458–471, 2010.
- O. Kwon, S. J. Jeong, S. O. Kim et al., “Modulation of E-cadherin expression by K-Ras; involvement of DNA methyltransferase-3b,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1194–1201, 2010.
- A. Tannapfel, M. Benicke, A. Katalinic et al., “Frequency of p16(INK4A) alterations and k-ras mutations in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma of the liver,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 721–727, 2000.
- R. J. Guan, Y. Fu, P. R. Holt, and A. B. Pardee, “Association of K-ras mutations with p16 methylation in human colon cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 1063–1071, 1999.