- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 182965, 11 pages
Expression and Function of NUMB in Odontogenesis
1Department of Orthodontics, College of Dental Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, 3200 S. University Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328, USA
2Brodie Tooth Development Genetics & Regenerative Medicine Research Laboratory, Department of Oral Biology (M/C 690), College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago IL 60612, USA
3Department of Orthdontics, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 801 S. Paulina Street, Chicago IL 60612, USA
Received 6 January 2013; Revised 2 May 2013; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: Avina Paranjpe
Copyright © 2013 Haitao Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Pece, S. Confalonieri, P. R. Romano, and P. P. Di Fiore, “NUMB-ing down cancer by more than just a NOTCH,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1815, no. 1, pp. 26–43, 2011.
- J. Hao, K. Narayanan, T. Muni, A. Ramachandran, and A. George, “Dentin matrix protein 4, a novel secretory calcium-binding protein that modulates odontoblast differentiation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 21, pp. 15357–15365, 2007.
- T. Uemura, S. Shepherd, L. Ackerman, L. Y. Jan, and Y. N. Jan, “Numb, a gene required in determination of cell fate during sensory organ formation in Drosophila embryos,” Cell, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 349–360, 1989.
- E. P. Spana, C. Kopczynski, C. S. Goodman, and C. Q. Doe, “Asymmetric localization of numb autonomously determines sibling neuron identity in the Drosophila CNS,” Development, vol. 121, no. 11, pp. 3489–3494, 1995.
- W. Zhong, M. Jiang, M. D. Schonemann et al., “Mouse numb is an essential gene involved in cortical neurogenesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 6844–6849, 2000.
- A. Gulino, L. Di Marcotullio, and I. Screpanti, “The multiple functions of Numb,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 316, no. 6, pp. 900–906, 2010.
- S. E. Dho, M. B. French, S. A. Woods, and C. J. McGlade, “Characterization of four mammalian numb protein isoforms. Identification of cytoplasmic and membrane-associated variants of the phosphotyrosine binding domain,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 46, pp. 33097–33104, 1999.
- J. M. Verdi, A. Bashirullah, D. E. Goldhawk et al., “Distinct human NUMB isoforms regulate differentiation vs. proliferation in the neuronal lineage,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 18, pp. 10472–10476, 1999.
- P. H. Petersen, K. Zou, S. Krauss, and W. Zhong, “Continuing role for mouse Numb and Numbl in maintaining progenitor cells during cortical neurogenesis,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 803–811, 2004.
- Y. Zhou, J. B. Atkins, S. B. Rompani et al., “The mammalian Golgi regulates numb signaling in asymmetric cell division by releasing ACBD3 during mitosis,” Cell, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 163–178, 2007.
- M. Haider, Q. Qiu, M. Bani-Yaghoub, B. K. Tsang, and A. Gruslin, “Characterization and role of NUMB in the human extravillous trophopblast,” Placenta, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 441–449, 2011.
- T. A. Mitsiadis, A. S. Tucker, C. De Bari, M. T. Cobourne, and D. P. Rice, “A regulatory relationship between Tbx1 and FGF signaling during tooth morphogenesis and ameloblast lineage determination,” Developmental Biology, vol. 320, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2008.
- C. E. Smith and H. Warshawsky, “Cellular renewal in the enamel organ and the odontoblast layer of the rat incisor as followed by radioautography using 3H thymidine,” Anatomical Record, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 523–561, 1975.
- T. A. Mitsiadis, E. Hirsinger, U. Lendahl, and C. Goridis, “Delta-Notch signaling in odontogenesis: correlation with cytodifferentiation and evidence for feedback regulation,” Developmental Biology, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 420–431, 1998.
- K. Seidel, C. P. Ahn, D. Lyons et al., “Hedgehog signaling regulates the generation of ameloblast progenitors in the continuously growing mouse incisor,” Development, vol. 137, no. 22, pp. 3753–3761, 2010.
- H. R. Dassule, P. Lewis, M. Bei, R. Maas, and A. P. McMahon, “Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the tooth,” Development, vol. 127, no. 22, pp. 4775–4785, 2000.
- J. J. Breunig, J. Silbereis, F. M. Vaccarino, N. Šestan, and P. Rakic, “Notch regulates cell fate and dendrite morphology of newborn neurons in the postnatal dentate gyrus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 51, pp. 20558–20563, 2007.
- H. Harada, P. Kettunen, H. Jung, T. Mustonen, Y. A. Wang, and I. Thesleff, “Localization of putative stem cells in dental epithelium and their association with Notch and FGF signaling,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 105–120, 1999.
- S. Felszeghy, M. Suomalainen, and I. Thesleff, “Notch signalling is required for the survival of epithelial stem cells in the continuously growing mouse incisor,” Differentiation, vol. 80, no. 4-5, pp. 241–248, 2010.
- M. A. McGill and C. J. McGlade, “Mammalian Numb proteins promote Notch1 receptor ubiquitination and degradation of the Notch1 intracellular domain,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 25, pp. 23196–23203, 2003.
- M. A. McGill, S. E. Dho, G. Weinmaster, and C. J. McGlade, “Numb regulates post-endocytic trafficking and degradation of notch1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 39, pp. 26427–26438, 2009.
- L. Di Marcotullio, E. Ferretti, A. Greco et al., “Numb is a suppressor of Hedgehog signalling and targets Gli1 for Itch-dependent ubiquitination,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1415–1423, 2006.
- T. Ito, H. Y. Kwon, B. Zimdahl et al., “Regulation of myeloid leukaemia by the cell-fate determinant Musashi,” Nature, vol. 466, no. 7307, pp. 765–768, 2010.
- D. Berdnik, T. Török, M. González-Gaitán, and J. A. Knoblich, “The endocytic protein α-adaptin is required for numb-mediated asymmetric cell division in Drosophila,” Developmental Cell, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 221–231, 2002.
- S. X. Atwood and K. E. Prehoda, “aPKC phosphorylates Miranda to polarize fate determinants during neuroblast asymmetric cell division,” Current Biology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 723–729, 2009.
- G. Chapman, L. Liu, C. Sahlgren, C. Dahlqvist, and U. Lendahl, “High levels of Notch signaling down-regulate Numb and Numblike,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 175, no. 4, pp. 535–540, 2006.
- R. Stan, W. Gregory Roberts, D. Predescu et al., “Immunoisolation and partial characterization of endothelial plasmalemmal vesicles (caveolae),” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 595–605, 1997.
- S. Ravindran, Q. Gao, A. Ramachandran, S. Blond, S. A. Predescu, and A. George, “Stress chaperone GRP-78 functions in mineralized matrix formation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 11, pp. 8729–8739, 2011.
- S. Kawano, T. Morotomi, T. Toyono et al., “Establishment of dental epithelial cell line (HAT-7) and the cell differentiation dependent on Notch signaling pathway,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 43, no. 2-3, pp. 409–412, 2002.
- Z. Wang, S. Sandiford, C. Wu, and S. S. Li, “Numb regulates cell-cell adhesion and polarity in response to tyrosine kinase signalling,” EMBO Journal, vol. 28, no. 16, pp. 2360–2373, 2009.
- T. Nishimura and K. Kaibuchi, “Numb controls integrin endocytosis for directional cell migration with aPKC and PAR-3,” Developmental Cell, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 15–28, 2007.
- A. Karaczyn, M. Bani-Yaghoub, R. Tremblay et al., “Two novel human NUMB isoforms provide a potential link between development and cancer,” Neural Development, vol. 5, no. 1, article 31, 2010.
- T. A. Mitsiadis and D. Graf, “Cell fate determination during tooth development and regeneration,” Birth Defects Research C, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 199–211, 2009.