- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 183502, 5 pages
Spectacle Coverage and Spectacles Use among Elderly Population in Residential Care in the South Indian State of Andhra Pradesh
1Allen Foster Community Eye Health Research Centre, International Centre for Advancement of Rural Eye care, L V Prasad Eye Institute, L V Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 034, India
2Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad 500 034, India
3Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
4School of Optometry & Vision Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2033, Australia
5Community Health & Nutrition Office, Area Hospital, Kandukur, Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh 523105, India
Received 7 April 2013; Revised 4 June 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Alberto Raggi
Copyright © 2013 Srinivas Marmamula et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Pascolini and S. P. Mariotti, “Global estimates of visual impairment: 2010,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 614–618, 2012.
- J. Schneider, S. R. Leeder, B. Gopinath, J. J. Wang, and P. Mitchell, “Frequency, course, and impact of correctable visual impairment (uncorrected refractive error),” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 539–560, 2010.
- B. A. Holden, T. R. Fricke, S. M. Ho et al., “Global vision impairment due to uncorrected presbyopia,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 126, no. 12, pp. 1731–1739, 2008.
- P. Mitchell, P. Hayes, and J. J. Wang, “Visual impairment in nursing home residents: the Blue Mountains Eye study,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 73–76, 1997.
- H. R. Nottle, C. A. McCarty, J. B. Hassell, and J. E. Keeffe, “Detection of vision impairment in people admitted to aged care assessment centres,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 162–164, 2000.
- C. Owsley, G. McGwin, K. Scilley, G. C. Meek, A. Dyer, and D. Seker, “The visual status of older persons residing in nursing homes,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 925–930, 2007.
- J. M. Tielsch, J. C. Javitt, A. Coleman, J. Katz, and A. Sommer, “The prevalence of blindness and visual impairment among nursing home residents in baltimore,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 18, pp. 1205–1209, 1995.
- J. C. van der Pols, C. J. Bates, P. V. McGraw et al., “Visual acuity measurements in a national sample of British elderly people,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2000.
- M. R. VanNewkirk, L. Weih, C. A. McCarty, Y. L. Stanislavsky, J. E. Keeffe, and H. R. Taylor, “Visual impairment and eye diseases in elderly institutionalized Australians,” Ophthalmology, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 2203–2208, 2000.
- M. K. Dev, G. S. Shrestha, N. Paudel, N. D. Joshi, M. Thapa, and D. N. Shah, “Visual status and ocular morbidity in older adults living in residential care,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 250, no. 9, pp. 1387–1393, 2012.
- T. Kuang, S. Tsai, W. Hsu, C. Cheng, J. Liu, and P. Chou, “Correctable visual impairment in an elderly Chinese population in Taiwan: the Shihpai eye study,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 1032–1037, 2007.
- J. J. Michon, J. Lau, S. C. Wing, and L. B. Ellwein, “Prevalence of visual impairment, blindness, and cataract surgery in the Hong Kong elderly,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 133–139, 2002.
- S. Marmamula, C. S. Ravuri, M. Y. Boon, and R. C. Khanna, “A cross-sectional study of visual impairment in elderly population in residential care in the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh: a cross-sectional study,” BMJ Open, vol. 3, no. 3, 2013.
- S. Marmamula, J. E. Keeffe, and G. N. Rao, “Uncorrected refractive errors, presbyopia and spectacle coverage: results from a rapid assessment of refractive error survey,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 269–274, 2009.
- S. Marmamula, S. R. Madala, and G. N. Rao, “Prevalence of uncorrected refractive errors, presbyopia and spectacle coverage in marine fishing communities in South India: rapid assessment of visual impairment (RAVI) project,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2012.
- P. K. Nirmalan, S. Krishnaiah, B. R. Shamanna, G. N. Rao, and R. Thomas, “A population-based assessment of presbyopia in the state of Andhra Pradesh, south India: the Andhra Pradesh eye disease study,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 2324–2328, 2006.
- B. J. W. Evans and G. Rowlands, “Correctable visual impairment in older people: a major unmet need,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 161–180, 2004.
- S. Foran, K. Rose, J. J. Wang, and P. Mitchell, “Correctable visual impairment in an older population: the Blue Mountains Eye study,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 712–719, 2002.
- D. Z. Reinstein, N. L. Dorward, R. P. L. Wormald et al., “‘Correctable undetected visual acuity deficit’ in patients aged 65 and over attending an accident and emergency department,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 293–296, 1993.
- J. R. Evans, A. E. Fletcher, and R. P. L. Wormald, “Causes of visual impairment in people aged 75 years and older in Britain: an add-on study to the MRC trial of assessment and management of older people in the community,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 365–370, 2004.
- C. Owsley, G. McGwin Jr., K. Scilley, G. C. Meek, D. Seker, and A. Dyer, “Effect of refractive error correction on health-related quality of life and depression in older nursing home residents,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 125, no. 11, pp. 1471–1477, 2007.
- R. Dandona, L. Dandona, V. Kovai, P. Giridhar, M. N. Prasad, and M. Srinivas, “Population-based study of spectacles use in southern India,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 145–155, 2002.
- R. Prema, G. Ronnie, R. S. Ve et al., “Comparison of refractive errors and factors associated with spectacle use in a rural and urban South Indian population,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2008.