- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 195692, 7 pages
Clinical Evaluation and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Serum Tumor Markers in Lung Cancer
1School of Laboratory Medicine, Tianjin Medical University, No. 1 Guangdong Road, Hexi District, Tianjin 300203, China
2Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tianjin Stomatological Hospital, Tianjin 300041, China
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Romonia Renee Reams
Copyright © 2013 Rong Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ferlay, H.-R. Shin, F. Bray, D. Forman, C. Mathers, and D. M. Parkin, “Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 2893–2917, 2010.
- S. Chang, M. Dai, J. S. Ren, Y. H. Chen, and L. W. Guo, “Estimates and prediction on incidence, mortality and prevalence of lung cancer in China in 2008,” Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 391–394, 2012.
- X. Xie, Y. Zhao, R. A. Snijder, et al., “Sensitivity and accuracy of volumetry of pulmonary nodules on low-dose 16- and 64-row multi-detector CT: an anthropomorphic phantom study,” European Radiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 139–147, 2013.
- C. I. Henschke and D. F. Yankelevitz, “CT screening for lung cancer: update 2007,” Oncologist, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 65–78, 2008.
- R. J. Pamies and D. R. Crawford, “Tumor markers: an update,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 185–199, 1996.
- D. Ferrigno, G. Buccheri, and A. Biggi, “Serum tumour markers in lung cancer: history, biology and clinical applications,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 186–197, 1994.
- J. S. de Cos Escuin and J. H. Hernandez, “Tumor markers and lung cancer. What's new?” Archivos de Bronconeumología, vol. 40, supplement 6, pp. 35–40, 2004.
- D. E. Niewoehner and J. B. Rubins, “Clinical utility of tumor markers in the management of non-small cell lung cancer,” Methods in Molecular Medicine, vol. 75, pp. 135–141, 2003.
- N. Viñolas, R. Molina, M. C. Galán et al., “Tumor markers in response monitoring and prognosis of non-small cell lung cancer: preliminary report,” Anticancer Research, vol. 18, no. 1B, pp. 631–634, 1998.
- H. Kato, K. Tamai, T. Magaya et al., “Clinical value of SCC-antigen, a subfraction of tumor antigen TA-4, in the management of cervical cancer,” Gan no Rinshos, vol. 31, supplement 6, pp. 594–599, 1985.
- E. H. Cooper, T. A. Splinter, D. A. Brown, M. F. Muers, M. D. Peake, and S. L. Pearson, “Evaluation of a radioimmunoassay for neuron specific enolase in small cell lung cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 333–338, 1985.
- L. G. M. Jørgensen, K. Osterlind, J. Genollá, et al., “Serum neuron-specific enolase (S-NSE) and the prognosis in small-cell lung cancer (SCLC): a combined multivariable analysis on data from nine centres,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 463–467, 1996.
- S. Hammarström, “The carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) family: structures, suggested functions and expression in normal and malignant tissues,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 67–81, 1999.
- J. Grenier, J. L. Pujol, F. Guilleux, J. P. Daures, H. Pujol, and F. B. Michel, “Cyfra 21-1, a new marker of lung cancer,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 471–476, 1994.
- M. Muraki, Y. Tohda, T. Iwanaga, H. Uejima, Y. Nagasaka, and S. Nakajima, “Assessment of serum CYFRA 21-1 in lung cancer,” Cancer, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 1274–1277, 1996.
- A. van der Gaast, C. H. H. Schoenmakers, T. C. Kok, B. G. Blijenberg, F. Cornillie, and T. A. W. Splinter, “Evaluation of a new tumour marker in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: Cyfra 21.1,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 525–528, 1994.
- H.-J. Yan, R.-B. Wang, K.-L. Zhu et al., “Cytokeratin 19 fragment antigen 21-1 as an independent predictor for definitive chemoradiotherapy sensitivity in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 125, no. 8, pp. 1410–1415, 2012.
- M. Plebani, D. Basso, F. Navaglia, M. de Paoli, A. Tommasini, and A. Cipriani, “Clinical evaluation of seven tumour markers in lung cancer diagnosis: can any combination improve the results?” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 170–173, 1995.
- B. J. McNeil, E. Keeler, and S. J. Adelstein, “Primer on certain elements of medical decision making,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 293, no. 5, pp. 211–215, 1975.
- J. A. Hanley and B. J. McNeil, “The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve,” Radiology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 1982.
- N. J. Perkins and E. F. Schisterman, “The inconsistency of “optimal” cutpoints obtained using two criteria based on the receiver operating characteristic curve,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 163, no. 7, pp. 670–675, 2006.
- H. Satoh, H. Ishikawa, K. Kurishima, Y. T. Yamashita, M. Ohtsuka, and K. Sekizawa, “Cut-off levels of NSE to differentiate SCLC from NSCLC,” Oncology Reports, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 581–583, 2002.
- S. Ando, H. Kimura, N. Iwai et al., “Optimal combination of seven tumour markers in prediction of advanced stage at first examination of patients with non-small cell lung cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 21, no. 4B, pp. 3085–3092, 2001.
- V. L. Go, H. V. Ammon, K. H. Holtermuller, E. Krag, and S. F. Phillips, “Quantification of carcinoembryonic antigen like activities in normal human gastrointestinal secretions,” Cancer, vol. 36, supplement 6, pp. 2346–2350, 1975.
- P. Foa, M. Fornier, R. Miceli et al., “Tumour markers CEA, NSE, SCC, TPA and CYFRA 21.1 in resectable non-small cell lung cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 19, no. 4C, pp. 3613–3618, 1999.
- G. Plavec, M. Ninković, G. Kozlovacki, A. Lazarov, and V. Tatić, “Tumor markers in pleural effusions in bronchogenic carcinoma and tuberculosis,” Vojnosanitetski Pregled, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 2002.
- T. Rasmuson, G. R. Bjork, L. Damber, et al., “Tumor markers in bronchogenic carcinoma. An evaluation of carcinoembryonic antigen, tissue polypeptide antigen, placental alkaline phosphatase and pseudouridine,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 209–214, 1983.
- B. Nisman, J. Lafair, N. Heching, et al., “Evaluation of tissue polypeptide specific antigen, CYFRA 21-1, and carcinoembryonic antigen in nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: does the combined use of cytokeratin markers give any additional information?” Cancer, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1850–1859, 1998.
- M. Takada, N. Masuda, E. Matsuura et al., “Measurement of cytokeratin 19 fragments as a marker of lung cancer by CYFRA 21-1 enzyme immunoassay,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 160–165, 1995.
- B. Bergman, F.-T. Brezicka, C.-P. Engstrom, and S. Larsson, “Clinical usefulness of serum assays of neuron-specific enolase, carcinoembryonic antigen and CA-50 antigen in the diagnosis of lung cancer,” European Journal of Cancer A, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 198–202, 1993.
- D. Moro, D. Villemain, J. P. Vuillez, C. A. Delord, and C. Brambilla, “CEA, CYFRA21-1 and SCC in non-small cell lung cancer,” Lung Cancer, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 1995.
- P. Stieber, H. Dienemann, U. Hasholzner et al., “Comparison of CYFRA 21-1, TPA and TPS in lung cancer, urinary bladder cancer and benign diseases,” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 82–88, 1994.
- M. Tomita, T. Shimizu, T. Ayabe, A. Yonei, and T. Onitsuka, “Prognostic significance of tumour marker index based on preoperative CEA and CYFRA 21-1 in non-small cell lung cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 3099–3102, 2010.
- R.-S. Lai, H.-K. Hsu, J.-Y. Lu, L.-P. Ger, and N.-S. Lai, “CYFRA 21-1 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: evaluation as a tumor marker in non-small cell lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 995–1000, 1996.
- N. Mino, A. Iio, and K. Hamamoto, “Availability of tumor-antigen 4 as a marker of squamous cell carcinoma of the lung and other organs,” Cancer, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 730–734, 1988.
- A. J. Atherly and D. R. Camidge, “The cost-effectiveness of screening lung cancer patients for targeted drug sensitivity markers,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1100–1106, 2012.
- J.-X. Hou, X.-Q. Yang, C. Chen, Q. Jiang, G.-L. Yang, and Y. Li, “Screening the gastric cancer related tumor markers from multi-tumor markers protein chip with kappa coefficient and cost-effectiveness analysis,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 58, no. 106, pp. 632–636, 2011.
- W. F. McGhan, C. R. Rowland, and J. L. Bootman, “Cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness: methodologies for evaluating innovative pharmaceutical services,” American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 1978.