- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 197479, 5 pages
Determination of Poisson Ratio of Bovine Extraocular Muscle by Computed X-Ray Tomography
1Department of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Gachon University, Seongnam-Si, Gyeonggi-do 461-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Ophthalmology, Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095-7002, USA
3Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
4Biomedical Engineering Interdepartmental Program, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
5Neuroscience Interdepartmental Program, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
6Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Received 12 October 2012; Accepted 4 December 2012
Academic Editor: José M. Vilar
Copyright © 2013 Hansang Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Yoo, H. Kim, V. Gupta, and J. L. Demer, “Quasilinear viscoelastic behavior of bovine extraocular muscle tissue,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 3721–3728, 2009.
- D. A. Robinson, D. M. O'Meara, A. B. Scott, and C. C. Collins, “Mechanical components of human eye movements,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 548–553, 1969.
- C. C. Collins, M. R. Carlson, A. B. Scott, and A. Jampolsky, “Extraocular muscle forces in normal human subjects,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 652–664, 1981.
- H. J. Simonsz, “Force-length recording of eye muscles during local anesthesia surgery in 32 strabismus patients,” Strabismus, vol. 2, pp. 197–218, 1994.
- C. Quaia, H. S. Ying, A. M. Nichols, and L. M. Optican, “The viscoelastic properties of passive eye muscle in primates: I: static and step responses,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 4, Article ID e4850, 2009.
- L. Yoo, J. Reed, J. K. Gimzewski, and J. L. Demer, “Mechanical interferometry imaging for creep modeling of the cornea,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 8420–8424, 2011.
- L. Yoo, J. Reed, A. Shin et al., “Characterization of ocular tissues using microindentation and Hertzian viscoelastic models,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 3475–3482, 2011.
- C. Quaia, H. S. Ying, and L. M. Optican, “The viscoelastic properties of passive eye muscle in primates. II: testing the quasi-linear theory,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 8, Article ID e6480, 2009.
- L. Yoo, H. Kim, A. Shin, V. Gupta, and J. L. Demer, “Creep behavior of passive bovine extraocular muscle,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 526705, 2011.
- L. Yoo, V. Gupta, C. Lee, P. Kavehpore, and J. L. Demer, “Viscoelastic properties of bovine orbital connective tissue and fat: constitutive models,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 901–914, 2011.
- B. L. Boyce, R. E. Jones, T. D. Nguyen, and J. M. Grazier, “Stress-controlled viscoelastic tensile response of bovine cornea,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 2367–2376, 2007.
- Y. C. Fung, Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissues, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- R. Lakes, “Advances in negative poisson's ratio materials,” Advanced Materials, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 293–296, 1993.
- U. D. Larsen, O. Sigmund, and S. Bouwstra, “Design and fabrication of compliant micromechanisms and structures with negative Poisson's ratio,” in Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS '96), An Investigation of Micro Structures, Sensors, Actuators, Machines and Systems, pp. 365–371, February 1996.
- S. M. Chung, A. U. J. Yap, W. K. Koh, K. T. Tsai, and C. T. Lim, “Measurement of Poisson's ratio of dental composite restorative materials,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2455–2460, 2004.
- W. Wu, K. Sadeghipour, K. Boberick, and G. Baran, “Predictive modeling of elastic properties of particulate-reinforced composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 332, no. 1-2, pp. 362–370, 2002.
- M. Pamenius and N. G. Ohlson, “The determination of elastic constants by dynamic experiments,” Dental Materials, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 246–250, 1986.
- S. A. M. Spinner, “Elastic moduli of glasses at elevated temperatures by a dynamic method,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 39, pp. 113–118, 1956.
- M. P. D'Evelyn and T. Taniguchi, “Elastic properties of translucent polycrystalline cubic boron nitride as characterized by the dynamic resonance method,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 8, no. 8-9, pp. 1522–1526, 1999.
- M. Zhang, Y. P. Zheng, and A. F. T. Mak, “Estimating the effective Young's modulus of soft tissues from indentation tests—nonlinear finite element analysis of effects of friction and large deformation,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 512–517, 1997.
- S. P. W. Van Den Bedem, S. Schutte, F. C. T. Van Der Helm, and H. J. Simonsz, “Mechanical properties and functional importance of pulley bands or “faisseaux tendineux”,” Vision Research, vol. 45, no. 20, pp. 2710–2714, 2005.
- C. Sumi, A. Suzuki, and K. Nakayama, “Estimation of shear modulus distribution in soft tissue from strain distribution,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 1995.
- S. P. Reese, S. A. Maas, and J. A. Weiss, “Micromechanical models of helical superstructures in ligament and tendon fibers predict large Poisson's ratios,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1394–1400, 2010.
- C. W. Smith, R. J. Wootton, and K. E. Evans, “Interpretation of experimental data for Poisson's ratio of highly nonlinear materials,” Experimental Mechanics, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 356–362, 1999.
- C. Vergari, P. Pourcelot, L. Holden et al., “True stress and Poisson's ratio of tendons during loading,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 719–724, 2011.
- V. W. T. Cheng and H. R. C. Screen, “The micro-structural strain response of tendon,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 21, pp. 8957–8965, 2007.
- H. A. Lynch, W. Johannessen, J. P. Wu, A. Jawa, and D. M. Elliott, “Effect of fiber orientation and strain rate on the nonlinear uniaxial tensile material Properties of Tendon,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 726–731, 2003.