- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 198137, 8 pages
Improving Drug Loading of Mucosal Solvent Cast Films Using a Combination of Hydrophilic Polymers with Amoxicillin and Paracetamol as Model Drugs
Department of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Engineering and Science, University of Greenwich at Medway, Central Avenue, Chatham Maritime, Kent ME4 4TB, UK
Received 3 April 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Umesh Gupta
Copyright © 2013 Joshua Boateng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. E. Sangalli, A. Maroni, L. Zema, C. Busetti, F. Giordano, and A. Gazzaniga, “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of an oral system for time and/or site-specific drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2001.
- A. Liekweg, M. Westfeld, and U. Jaehde, “From oncology pharmacy to pharmaceutical care: new contributions to multidisciplinary cancer care,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 73–79, 2004.
- A. H. Shojaei, “Buccal mucosa as a route for systemic drug delivery: a review,” Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–30, 1998.
- S. Senel, M. Kremer, K. Nagy, and C. Squier, “Delivery of bioactive peptides and proteins across oral (Buccal) mucosa,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 175–186, 2001.
- D. H. Barich, E. J. Munson, and M. T. Zell, “Drug delivery principles and applications,” in Physicochemical Properties, Formulation and Drug Delivery, B. Wang, T. Siahaan, and R. Soltero, Eds., p. 69, Wiley Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- M. Werle, A. Makhlof, and H. Takeuchi, “Oral protein delivery: a patent review of academic and industrial approaches,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 94–104, 2009.
- N. V. S. Madhav, A. K. Shakya, P. Shakya, and K. Singh, “Orotransmucosal drug delivery systems: a review,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2009.
- D. K. Pettit and W. R. Gombotz, “The development of site-specific drug-delivery systems for protein and peptide biopharmaceuticals,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 343–349, 1998.
- J. K. Oh, R. Drumright, D. J. Siegwart, and K. Matyjaszewski, “The development of microgels/nanogels for drug delivery applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 448–477, 2008.
- R. P. Dixit and S. P. Puthli, “Oral strip technology: overview and future potential,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 94–107, 2009.
- F. Kianfar, B. Z. Chowdhry, M. Antonijevic, and J. S. Boateng, “Novel films for drug delivery via the buccal mucosa using model soluble and insoluble drugs,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1207–1220, 2012.
- H. Zhang, J. Zhang, and J. B. Streisand, “Oral mucosal drug delivery: clinical pharmacokinetics and therapeutic applications,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 661–680, 2002.
- K. K. Peh and C. F. Wong, “Polymeric films as vehicle for buccal delivery: swelling, mechanical, and bioadhesive properties,” Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 53–61, 1999.
- S. Chillistone and J. Hardman, “Factors affecting drug absorption and distribution,” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 167–171, 2008.
- S. I. Pather, M. J. Rathbone, and S. Şenel, “Current status and the future of buccal drug delivery systems,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 531–542, 2008.
- B. Baert, E. Deconinck, M. Van Gele et al., “Transdermal penetration behaviour of drugs: CART-clustering, QSPR and selection of model compounds,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 22, pp. 6943–6955, 2007.
- J. S. Boateng, A. D. Auffret, K. H. Matthews, M. J. Humphrey, H. N. E. Stevens, and G. M. Eccleston, “Characterisation of freeze-dried wafers and solvent evaporated films as potential drug delivery systems to mucosal surfaces,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 389, no. 1-2, pp. 24–31, 2010.
- J. S. Boateng, H. N. E. Stevens, G. M. Eccleston, A. D. Auffret, M. J. Humphrey, and K. H. Matthews, “Development and mechanical characterization of solvent-cast polymeric films as potential drug delivery systems to mucosal surfaces,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 986–996, 2009.
- J. S. Boateng, K. H. Matthews, A. D. Auffret, M. J. Humphrey, H. N. Stevens, and G. M. Eccleston, “In vitro drug release studies of polymeric freeze-dried wafers and solvent-cast films using paracetamol as a model soluble drug,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 378, no. 1-2, pp. 66–72, 2009.
- H. Pawar, J. Tetteh, and J. S. Boateng, “Preparation and characterization of novel wound healing film dressings loaded with streptomycin and diclofenac,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 102, pp. 102–110, 2013.
- F. Kianfar, B. Z. Chowdhry, M. A. Antonijevic, and J. S. Boateng, “Formulation development of a carrageenan based delivery system for buccal drug delivery using ibuprofen as a model drug,” Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 5A, pp. 582–595, 2011.
- I. Ayensu, J. C. Mitchell, and J. S. Boateng, “In vitro characterisation of chitosan based xerogels for potential buccal delivery of proteins,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 89, pp. 935–941, 2012.
- J. D. Smart, “The basics and underlying mechanisms of mucoadhesion,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1556–1568, 2005.
- G. P. Andrews, T. P. Laverty, and D. S. Jones, “Mucoadhesive polymeric platforms for controlled drug delivery,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 505–518, 2009.
- Y. Sudhakar, K. Kuotsu, and A. K. Bandyopadhyay, “Buccal bioadhesive drug delivery—a promising option for orally less efficient drugs,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 15–40, 2006.
- J. W. Lee, J. H. Park, and J. R. Robinson, “Bioadhesive dosage form: the next generation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 89, no. 17, pp. 850–866, 2000.
- P. L. Ritger and N. A. Peppas, “A simple equation for description of solute release II. Fickian and anomalous release from swellable devices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1987.