- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 198250, 7 pages
Analysis of Structures, Functions, and Epitopes of Cysteine Protease from Spirometra erinaceieuropaei Spargana
Department of Parasitology, Medical College, Zhengzhou University, 40 Daxue Road, Zhengzhou 450052, China
Received 14 September 2013; Accepted 23 October 2013
Academic Editor: Fabio Ribeiro Braga
Copyright © 2013 Li Na Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. J. Bogitsch, C. E. Carter, and T. N. Oeltmann, Human Parasitology, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2005.
- L. S. Roberts, G. D. Schmidt, and J. Janovy, Foundations of Parasitology, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 2009.
- S. Nithiuthai, M. T. Anantaphruti, J. Waikagul, and A. Gajadhar, “Waterborne zoonotic helminthiases,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 126, no. 1-2, pp. 167–193, 2004.
- E. H. Shin, S. M. Guk, H. J. Kim, S. H. Lee, and J. Y. Chai, “Trends in parasitic diseases in the Republic of Korea,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 143–150, 2008.
- T. Fukushima and Y. Yamane, “How does the sparganosis occur?” Parasitology Today, vol. 15, no. 3, p. 124, 1999.
- S. Magnino, P. Colin, E. Dei-Cas et al., “Biological risks associated with consumption of reptile products,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 163–175, 2009.
- M. T. Anantaphruti, Y. Nawa, and Y. Vanvanitchai, “Human sparganosis in Thailand: an overview,” Acta Tropica, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 171–176, 2011.
- K. Shirakawa, H. Yamasaki, A. Ito, and H. Miyajima, “Cerebral sparganosis: the wandering lesion,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 2, p. 180, 2010.
- J. Cui, X. M. Lin, H. W. Zhang, B. L. Xu, and Z. Q. Wang, “Sparganosis, Henan province, central China,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 146–147, 2011.
- K. Murata, T. Abe, M. Gohda et al., “Difficulty in diagnosing a case with apparent sequel cerebral sparganosis,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 409–411, 2007.
- T. Nishiyama, T. Ide, S. R. Himes Jr., S. Ishizaka, and T. Araki, “Immunodiagnosis of human sparganosis mansoni by micro-chemiluminescence enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 663–665, 1994.
- J. Cui, N. Li, Z. Q. Wang, P. Jiang, and X. M. Lin, “Serodiagnosis of experimental sparganum infections of mice and human sparganosis by ELISA using ES antigens of Spirometra mansoni spargana,” Parasitology Research, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 1551–1556, 2011.
- D. D. Hu, J. Cui, L. Wang, L. N. Liu, T. Wei, and Z. Q. Wang, “Immunoproteomic analysis of the excretory-secretory proteins from Spirometra mansoni Sparganum,” Iranian Journal of Parasitology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 408–416, 2013.
- M. I. Sadowski and D. T. Jones, “The sequence-structure relationship and protein function prediction,” Current Opinion in Structural Biology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 357–362, 2009.
- D. W. Buchan, S. M. Ward, A. E. Lobley, T. C. O. Nugent, K. Bryson, and D. T. Jones, “Protein annotation and modelling servers at University College London,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, pp. W563–W568, 2010.
- Y. Zhang, “I-TASSER server for protein 3D structure prediction,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, article 40, 2008.
- A. Roy, A. Kucukural, and Y. Zhang, “I-TASSER: a unified platform for automated protein structure and function prediction,” Nature Protocols, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 725–738, 2010.
- A. Roy, J. Yang, and Y. Zhang, “COFACTOR: an accurate comparative algorithm for structure-based protein function annotation,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, pp. W471–W477, 2012.
- W. Humphrey, A. Dalke, and K. Schulten, “VMD: visual molecular dynamics,” Journal of Molecular Graphics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1996.
- T. Schwede, J. Kopp, N. Guex, and M. C. Peitsch, “SWISS-MODEL: an automated protein homology-modeling server,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3381–3385, 2003.
- N. Guex, M. C. Peitsch, and T. Schwede, “Automated comparative protein structure modeling with SWISS-MODEL and Swiss-PdbViewer: a historical perspective,” Electrophoresis, vol. 30, supplement 1, pp. S162–S173, 2009.
- K. Tamura, J. Dudley, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1596–1599, 2007.
- N. Saitou and M. Nei, “The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 406–425, 1987.
- F. Salas, J. Fichmann, G. K. Lee, M. D. Scott, and P. J. Rosenthal, “Functional expression of falcipain, a Plasmodium falciparum cysteine proteinase, supports its role as a malarial hemoglobinase,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 2120–2125, 1995.
- M. M. Wasilewski, K. C. Lim, J. Phillips, and J. H. McKerrow, “Cysteine protease inhibitors block schistosome hemoglobin degradation in vitro and decrease worm burden and egg production in vivo,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 179–189, 1996.
- J. E. Olson, G. K. Lee, A. Semenov, and P. J. Rosenthal, “Antimalarial effects in mice of orally administered peptidyl cysteine protease inhibitors,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 633–638, 1999.
- Y. B. Chung, Y. Kong, I. J. Joo, S. Y. Cho, and S. Y. Kang, “Excystment of Paragonimus westermani metacercariae by endogenous cysteine protease,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 1995.
- J. Tort, P. J. Brindley, D. Knox, K. H. Wolfe, and J. P. Dalton, “Proteinases and associated genes of parasitic helminths,” Advances in Parasitology, vol. 43, pp. 161–266, 1999.
- T. M. Fukase, Y. Akihama, and H. Itagaki, “Purification and some properties of cysteine protease of Spirometra erinacei plerocercoid (Cestoda: Diphyllobothriidae),” Japanese Journal of Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 351–360, 1985.
- C. Y. Song, D. H. Choi, T. S. Kim, and S. H. Lee, “Isolation and partial characterization of cysteine proteinase from sparganum,” Kisaengchunghak Chapchi, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 191–199, 1992.
- Y. B. Chung and H. J. Yang, “Partial purification and characterization of a cysteine protease Inhibitor from the plerocercoid of Spirometra erinacei,” Korean Journal of Parasitology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 183–186, 2008.
- C. Y. Song and C. L. Chappell, “Purification and partial characterization of cysteine proteinase from Spirometra mansoni plerocercoids,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 517–524, 1993.
- Y. Kong, Y. B. Chung, S. Y. Cho, and S. Y. Kang, “Cleavage of immunoglobulin G by excretory-secretory cathepsin S-like protease of Spirometra mansoni plerocercoid,” Parasitology, vol. 109, part 5, pp. 611–621, 1994.