- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 202818, 8 pages
Amikacin Population Pharmacokinetics in Critically Ill Kuwaiti Patients
1Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kuwait University, P.O. Box 24923, Kuwait City 13110, Kuwait
2Department of Pharmacy, Al-Amiri Hospital, Ministry of Health, P.O. Box 491, Kuwait City 32005, Kuwait
3Intensive Care Unit, Al-Amiri Hospital, Ministry of Health, P.O. Box 491, Kuwait City 32005, Kuwait
4Laboratory of Applied Pharmacokinetics, School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Received 19 September 2012; Revised 30 November 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: Abdelwahab Omri
Copyright © 2013 Kamal M. Matar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Kummana and K. Yuen, “Parenteral aminoglycoside therapy. Selection, administrationandmonitoring,” Drugs, vol. 47, pp. 902–913, 1994.
- S. M. Erdman, K. A. Rodvold, and R. D. Pryka, “An updated comparison of drug dosing methods. Part III: aminoglycoside antibiotics,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 374–388, 1991.
- M. J. Beckhouse, I. M. Whyte, P. L. Byth, J. C. Napier, and A. J. Smith, “Altered aminoglycoside pharmacokinetics in the critically ill,” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 418–422, 1988.
- M. D. M. F. De Gatta, S. R. Moreno, M. V. Calvo, R. Ardanuy, A. Domínguez-Gil, and J. M. Lanao, “Evaluation of population pharmacokinetic models for amikacin dosage individualization in critically ill patients,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 759–766, 2009.
- J. A. Roberts and J. Lipman, “Antibacterial dosing in intensive care: pharmacokinetics, degree of disease and pharmacodynamics of sepsis,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 756–773, 2006.
- F. Pea, P. Viale, and M. Furlanut, “Antimicrobial therapy in critically ill patients: a review of pathophysiological conditions responsible for altered disposition and pharmacokinetic variability,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1009–1034, 2005.
- R. Mehrotra, R. De Gaudio, and M. Palazzo, “Antibiotic pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic considerations in critical illness,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2145–2156, 2004.
- R. Jelliffe, “Estimation of creatinine clearance in patients with unstable renal function, withoutaurinespecimen,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 22, pp. 320–324, 2002.
- A. Bustad, D. Terziivanov, R. Leary, R. Port, A. Schumitzky, and R. Jelliffe, “Parametric and nonparametric population methods: their comparative performance in analysing a clinical dataset and two Monte Carlo simulation studies,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 365–383, 2006.
- S. S. Jhee, J. P. Burm, and M. A. Gill, “Comparison of aminoglycoside pharmacokinetics in Asian, Hispanic, and Caucasian patients by using population pharmacokinetic methods,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 2073–2077, 1994.
- I. Domke, P. Cremer, and M. Huchtemann, “Therapeutic drug monitoring on COBAS INTEGRA 400—evaluation results,” Clinical Laboratory, vol. 46, no. 9-10, pp. 509–515, 2000.
- R. W. Jelliffe, A. Schumitzky, D. Bayard et al., “Model-based, goal-oriented, individualised drug therapy. Linkage of population modelling, new “Multiple Model” dosage design, Bayesian feedback and individualised target goals,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 57–77, 1998.
- L. B. Sheiner and S. L. Beal, “Some suggestions for measuring predictive performance,” Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 503–512, 1981.
- D. E. Zaske, R. G. Strate, and P. R. Kohls, “Amikacin pharmacokinetics: wide interpatient variation in 98 patients,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 158–163, 1991.
- T. Gauthier, B. Lacarelle, F. Marre, P. H. Villard, J. Catalin, and A. Durand, “Predictive performance of two software packages (USC*PACK PC and Abbott PKS system) for the individualization of amikacin dosage in intensive care unit patients,” International Journal of Bio-Medical Computing, vol. 36, no. 1-2, pp. 131–134, 1994.
- G. Lugo and G. Castaňeda-Hernândez, “Amikacin Bayesian forecasting in critically ill patients with sepsis and cirrhosis,” Ther Drug Monit, vol. 19, pp. 271–276, 1997.
- J. Debord, C. Pessis, J. C. Voultoury et al., “Population pharmacokinetics of amikacin in intensive care unit patients studied by NPEM algorithm,” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 57–61, 1995.
- J. Debord, J. Voultoury, G. Lachâtre, C. Gay, J. Favereau, and R. Gay, “Population pharmacokinetic paramters for Bayesian monitoring of amikacintherapy in intensive care unit patients,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 43, pp. 435–436, 1992.
- D. Bertsekas, Dynamic Programming: Deterministic and Stochastic Models, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1987.