- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 204973, 8 pages
PSF Knockdown Enhances Apoptosis via Downregulation of LC3B in Human Colon Cancer Cells
1Department of Hematology and Immunology, Kanazawa Medical University, 1-1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920-0293, Japan
2Clinical Pharmacology Educational Center, Nihon Pharmaceutical University, Ina-machi, Saitama 362-0806, Japan
3Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3-1-1 Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390-8621, Japan
Received 19 July 2013; Revised 21 September 2013; Accepted 26 September 2013
Academic Editor: Manoor Prakash Hande
Copyright © 2013 Tamotsu Tsukahara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Lengauer, K. W. Kinzler, and B. Vogelstein, “Genetic instabilities in human cancers,” Nature, vol. 396, no. 6712, pp. 643–649, 1998.
- L. A. Loeb, K. R. Loeb, and J. P. Anderson, “Multiple mutations and cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 776–781, 2003.
- S. Ghavami, M. Hashemi, S. R. Ande et al., “Apoptosis and cancer: mutations within caspase genes,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 497–510, 2009.
- I. M. Ghobrial, T. E. Witzig, and A. A. Adjei, “Targeting apoptosis pathways in cancer therapy,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 178–194, 2005.
- R. A. Gupta, J. A. Brockman, P. Sarraf, T. M. Willson, and R. N. DuBois, “Target genes of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ in colorectal cancer cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 32, pp. 29681–29687, 2001.
- T. Tsukahara, H. Haniu, and Y. Matsuda, “PTB-associated splicing factor (PSF) is a PPARgamma-binding protein and growth regulator of colon cancer cells,” PloS ONE, vol. 8, no. 3, Article ID e58749, 2013.
- J. G. Patton, E. B. Porro, J. Galceran, P. Tempst, and B. Nadal-Ginard, “Cloning and characterization of PSF, a novel pre-mRNA splicing factor,” Genes and Development, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 393–406, 1993.
- X. Song, A. Sui, and A. Garen, “Binding of mouse VL30 retrotransposon RNA to PSF protein induces genes repressed by PSF: effects on steroidogenesis and oncogenesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 621–626, 2004.
- X. Song, Y. Sun, and A. Garen, “Roles of PSF protein and VL30 RNA in reversible gene regulation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 34, pp. 12189–12193, 2005.
- G. Wang, Y. Cui, G. Zhang, A. Garen, and X. Song, “Regulation of proto-oncogene transcription, cell proliferation, and tumorigenesis in mice by PSF protein and a VL30 noncoding RNA,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 39, pp. 16794–16798, 2009.
- B. W. O'Malley and R. Kumar, “Nuclear receptor coregulators in cancer biology,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 21, pp. 8217–8222, 2009.
- C. DE DUVE, “The lysosome,” Scientific American, vol. 208, pp. 64–72, 1963.
- F. Reggiori and D. J. Klionsky, “Autophagy in the eukaryotic cell,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2002.
- B. Levine and J. Yuan, “Autophagy in cell death: an innocent convict?” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 2679–2688, 2005.
- P. Codogno and A. J. Meijer, “Autophagy and signaling: their role in cell survival and cell death,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 1509–1518, 2005.
- E. L. Eskelinen and P. Saftig, “Autophagy: a lysosomal degradation pathway with a central role in health and disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1793, no. 4, pp. 664–673, 2009.
- B. J. Altman and J. C. Rathmell, “Metabolic stress in autophagy and cell death pathways,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, vol. 4, no. 9, Article ID a008763, 2012.
- A. C. Kimmelman, “The dynamic nature of autophagy in cancer,” Genes and Development, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 1999–2010, 2011.
- R. Mathew, V. Karantza-Wadsworth, and E. White, “Role of autophagy in cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 961–967, 2007.
- P. Boya, R. A. González-Polo, N. Casares et al., “Inhibition of macroautophagy triggers apoptosis,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 1025–1040, 2005.
- Y. Kondo and S. Kondo, “Autophagy and cancer therapy,” Autophagy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 85–90, 2006.
- Y. Kabeya, N. Mizushima, T. Ueno et al., “LC3, a mammalian homologue of yeast Apg8p, is localized in autophagosome membranes after processing,” EMBO Journal, vol. 19, no. 21, pp. 5720–5728, 2000.
- B. X. Li, C. Y. Li, R. Q. Peng et al., “The expression of beclin 1 is associated with favorable prognosis in stage IIIB colon cancers,” Autophagy, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 303–306, 2009.
- S. S. Mann and J. A. Hammarback, “Molecular characterization of light chain 3. A microtubule binding subunit of MAP1A and MAP1B,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 15, pp. 11492–11497, 1994.
- I. Tanida, T. Ueno, and E. Kominami, “Human light chain 3/MAP1LC3B Is cleaved at its carboxyl-terminal Met 121 to expose Gly120 for lipidation and targeting to autophagosomal membranes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 46, pp. 47704–47710, 2004.
- J. Wu, Y. Dang, W. Su et al., “Molecular cloning and characterization of rat LC3A and LC3B—two novel markers of autophagosome,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 339, no. 1, pp. 437–442, 2006.
- D. B. Munafó and M. I. Colombo, “A novel assay to study autophagy: regulation of autophagosome vacuole size by amino acid deprivation,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 114, no. 20, pp. 3619–3629, 2001.