- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205183, 12 pages
Effects of Nanosilver Exposure on Cholinesterase Activities, CD41, and CDF/LIF-Like Expression in ZebraFish (Danio rerio) Larvae
1Kokshetau State University Named after Sh. Ualikhanov, Abai Street 76, Kokshetau 020000, Kazakhstan
2DISTAV, Università di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV, 16132 Genova, Italy
3Nanodiagnostics Srl, Via Enrico Fermi 1/L, 41057 San Vito di Spilamberto, Italy
4Nanophysics, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Via Morego 30, 16163 Genova, Italy
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 7 July 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Zongli Xu
Copyright © 2013 Marzhan Myrzakhanova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Pulit, M. Banach, and Z. Kowalski, “Nanosilver—making difficult decisions,” The International Council on Nanotechnologies, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 185–195, 2011.
- R. Vaidyanathan, K. Kalishwaralal, S. Gopalram, and S. Gurunathan, “Nanosilver-The burgeoning therapeutic molecule and its green synthesis,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 924–937, 2009.
- D. Cheng, J. Yang, and Y. Zhao, “Antibacterial materials of silver nanoparticles application in medical appliances and appliances for daily use,” Chinese Medical Equipment Journal, vol. 4, pp. 26–32, 2004.
- Y.-Y. Zhang and J. Sun, “A study on the bio-safety for nano-silver as anti-bacterial materials,” Chinese Journal of Medical Instrumentation, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 36–38, 2007.
- H. J. Johnston, G. Hutchison, F. M. Christensen, S. Peters, S. Hankin, and V. Stone, “A review of the in vivo and in vitro toxicity of silver and gold particulates: particle attributes and biological mechanisms responsible for the observed toxicity,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 328–346, 2010.
- M. Ahamed, M. S. AlSalhi, and M. K. J. Siddiqui, “Silver nanoparticle applications and human health,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 411, no. 23-24, pp. 1841–1848, 2010.
- G. L. Ellman, K. D. Courtney, V. Andres Jr., and R. M. Featherstone, “A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 88–95, 1961.
- D. W. Dockery, C. A. Pope III, X. Xu et al., “An association between air pollution and mortality in six U.S. cities,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 24, pp. 1753–1759, 1993.
- O. Bar-Ilan, R. M. Albrecht, V. E. Fako, and D. Y. Furgeson, “Toxicity assessments of multisized gold and silver nanoparticles in zebrafish embryos,” Small, vol. 5, no. 16, pp. 1897–1910, 2009.
- R. J. Griffitt, K. Hyndman, N. D. Denslow, and D. S. Barber, “Comparison of molecular and histological changes in zebrafish gills exposed to metallic nanoparticles,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 404–415, 2009.
- C. Falugi, M. G. Aluigi, M. C. Chiantore et al., “Toxicity of metal oxide nanoparticles in immune cells of the sea urchin,” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 76, pp. 114–121, 2012.
- N. R. Panyala, E. M. Peña-Méndez, and J. Havel, “Silver or silver nanoparticles: a hazardous threat to the environment and human health?” Journal of Applied Biomedicine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 117–129, 2008.
- R. Klippstein, R. Fernandez-Montesinos, P. M. Castillo, A. P. Zaderenko, and D. Pozo, “Silver nanoparticles interactions with the immune system: implications for health and disease,” in Silver Nanoparticles, chapter 16, pp. 309–324, 2010.
- Y. Kushima and H. Hatanaka, “Interleukin-6 and leukemia inhibitory factor promote the survival of acetylcholinesterase-positive neurons in culture from embryonic rat spinal cord,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 143, no. 1-2, pp. 110–114, 1992.
- D. Metcalf, D. Hilton, and N. A. Nicola, “Leukemia inhibitory factor can potentiate murine megakaryocyte production in vitro,” Blood, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 2150–2153, 1991.
- W. Gao, L. Thompson, Q. Zhou et al., “Treg versus Th17 lymphocyte lineages are cross-regulated by LIF versus IL-6,” Cell Cycle, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1444–1450, 2009.
- N. Myrzakhanov and M. N. Myrzakhanova, “On development of The lymph and blood of dogs in the protein composition under some effects on organisms,” European Scientific Journal, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1857–7881, 2013.
- M. N. Myrzakhanova, M. R. Khanturin, and K. B. Nurgaliyeva, “Effects of adrenaline and acetylcholine on the contractile activity of venous isolated strips of lower vertebrates,” News of Academy of Sciences, 1997.
- K. B. Nurgaliyeva, M. N. Myrzakhanova, and S. G. Lakpayeva, “Reflex shifts of hemo- and lymphodynamics during sciatic nerve stimulation in lower vertebrates,” Research, vol. 5, pp. 44–49, 1995, Russian.
- S. Nieto-Cerón, L. F. S. Del Campo, E. Muñoz-Delgado, C. J. Vidal, and F. J. Campoy, “Muscular dystrophy by merosin deficiency decreases acetylcholinesterase activity in thymus of Lama2dy mice,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1035–1046, 2005.
- L. F. Sánchez del Campo, S. Nieto-Cerón, J. C. Morote-García, E. Muñoz-Delgado, C. J. Vidal, and F. J. Campoy, “Butyrylcholinesterase activity and molecular components in thymus of healthy and merosin-deficient Lama2dy mice,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 531–539, 2007.
- J. Y. Bertrand, A. D. Kim, S. Teng, and D. Traver, “CD41+ cmyb+ precursors colonize the zebrafish pronephros by a novel migration route to initiate adult hematopoiesis,” Development, vol. 135, no. 10, pp. 1853–1862, 2008.
- C. Gambardella, M. G. Aluigi, S. Ferrando et al., “Developmental abnormalities and changes in cholinesterase activity in sea urchin embryos and larvae from sperm exposed to engineered nanoparticles,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 130-131, pp. 77–85, 2013.
- E. D. A. Lennette, “An improved mounting medium for immunofluorescence microscopy,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 647–648, 1978.
- M. J. Karnovsky and L. Roots, “A direct-coloring thiocholine method for cholinesterases,” The Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 12, pp. 219–221, 1964.
- A. Sturm, H. C. Da Silva De Assis, and P.-D. Hansen, “Cholinesterases of marine teleost fish: enzymological characterization and potential use in the monitoring of neurotoxic contamination,” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 389–398, 1999.
- C. L. Sistrom and C. W. Garvan, “Proportions, odds, and risk,” Radiology, vol. 230, no. 1, pp. 12–19, 2004.
- A. J. Underwood, Experiments in Ecology: Their Logical Design and Interpretation Using Analysis of Variance, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1997.
- Ø. Hammer, D. A. T. Harper, and P. D. Ryan, “Past: Paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis,” Palaeontologia Electronica, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2001.
- N. D. Meeker and N. S. Trede, “Immunology and zebrafish: spawning new models of human disease,” Developmental and Comparative Immunology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 745–757, 2008.
- N. Lubick, “Nanosilver toxicity: ions, nanoparticles-or both?” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 42, no. 23, p. 8617, 2008.
- J. Massoulie, L. Pezzementi, S. Bon, E. Krejci, and F.-M. Vallette, “Molecular and cellular biology of cholinesterases,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 31–91, 1993.
- C. Falugi, “Localization and possible role of molecules associated with the cholinergic system during “non-nervous” developmental events,” European Journal of Histochemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 287–294, 1993.
- H. Soreq and S. Seidman, “Acetylcholinesterase—new roles for an old actor,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 294–302, 2001.
- A. Gilboa-Geffen, G. Hartmann, and H. Soreq, “Stressing hematopoiesis and immunity: an acetylcholinesterase window into nervous and immune system interactions,” Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 30, 2012.
- M. Rosas-Ballina, P. S. Olofsson, M. Ochani et al., “Acetylcholine-synthesizing T cells relay neural signals in a vagus nerve circuit,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6052, pp. 98–101, 2011.
- X. J. Zhang, L. Yang, Q. Zhao et al., “Induction of acetylcholinesterase expression during apoptosis in various cell types,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 790–800, 2002.
- U. Drews, “Cholinesterase in embryonic development,” Progress in Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1–52, 1975.
- C. Falugi and M. G. Aluigi, “Early appearance and possible functions of non-neuromuscular cholinesterase activities,” Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 54, 2012.
- K. Ofek, K. S. Krabbe, T. Evron et al., “Cholinergic status modulations in human volunteers under acute inflammation,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 1239–1251, 2007.
- M.-M. Mesulam, A. Guillozet, P. Shaw, A. Levey, E. G. Duysen, and O. Lockridge, “Acetylcholinesterase knockouts establish central cholinergic pathways and can use butyrylcholinesterase to hydrolyze acetylcholine,” Neuroscience, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 627–639, 2002.
- J. C. Zimring, L. M. Kapp, M. Yamada, J. Wess, and J. A. Kapp, “Regulation of CD8+ cytolytic T lymphocyte differentiation by a cholinergic pathway,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 164, no. 1-2, pp. 66–75, 2005.
- C. Falugi, “Histochemical localization of acetylcholinesterase in blood cells,” Basic and Applied Histochemistry, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 105–113, 1985.
- A. Topilko and B. Caillou, “Acetylcholinesterase in human thymus cells,” Blood, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 891–895, 1985.
- C. C. Chang, A. Rahmawaty, and Z. W. Chang, “Molecular and immunological responses of the giant freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii, to the organophosphorus insecticide, trichlorfon,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 130-131, pp. 18–26, 2013.
- H. Shifrin, M. Nadler-Milbauer, S. Shoham, and M. Weinstock, “Rivastigmine alleviates experimentally induced colitis in mice and rats by acting at central and peripheral sites to modulate immune responses,” PLoS One, vol. 8, article e57668, no. 2, 2013.
- G. B. Koelle, K. K. Rickard, and G. A. Ruch, “Interrelationships between ganglionic acetylcholinesterase and nonspecific cholinesterase of the cat and rat,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 6012–6016, 1979.
- I. Wessler, H. Kilbinger, F. Bittinger, R. Unger, and C. J. Kirkpatrick, “The non-neuronal cholinergic system in humans: expression, function and pathophysiology,” Life Sciences, vol. 72, no. 18-19, pp. 2055–2061, 2003.
- M. G. Aluigi, C. Guida, and C. Falugi, “Apoptosis as a specific biomarker of diazinon toxicity in NTera2-D1 cells,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 187, no. 1–3, pp. 299–303, 2010.
- V. E. Dionne and C. F. Stevens, “Voltage dependence of agonist effectiveness at the frog neuromuscular junction: resolution of a paradox,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 245–270, 1975.
- J. L. Sussman, M. Harel, F. Frolow et al., “Atomic structure of acetylcholinesterase from Torpedo californica: a prototypic acetylcholine-binding protein,” Science, vol. 253, no. 5022, pp. 872–879, 1991.
- N. Maharshak, S. Shenhar-Tsarfaty, N. Aroyo, et al., “MicroRNA-132 modulates cholinergic signaling and inflammation in human inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Disease, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1346–1353, 2013.
- D. Zanini, R. Schmatz, L. P. Pelinson et al., “Ectoenzymes and cholinesterase activity and biomarkers of oxidative stress in patients with lung cancer,” Molecular Cell Biochemistry, vol. 374, no. 1-2, pp. 137–148, 2013.
- K. Kumar and B. A. Ansari, “Malathion toxicity: skeletal deformities in zebrafish (Brachydanio rerio, Cyprinidae),” Pesticide Science, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 1984.
- L. G. Sultatos, “Mammalian toxicology of organophosphorus pesticides,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 271–289, 1994.
- M. Shapira, A. Grant, M. Korner, and H. Soreq, “Genomic and transcriptional characterization of the human ACHE locus: complex involvement with acquired and inherited diseases,” The Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 470–473, 2000.
- C. Falugi, Z. Rakonczay, H. Thielecke, C. Guida, and M.G. Aluigi, “Aluigi. cholinergic pesticides,” 2010, http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/13230/InTech-Cholinergic_pesticides.pdf.
- Y. A. O. Suliman, D. Ali, S. Alarifi, A. H. Harrath, L. Mansour, and S. H. Alwasel, “Evaluation of cytotoxic, oxidative stress, proinflammatory and genotoxic effect of silver nanoparticles in human lung epithelial cells,” Environmental Toxicology, 2013.
- B. S. Sailaja, D. Cohen-Carmon, G. Zimmerman, H. Soreq, and E. Meshorer, “Stress-induced epigenetic transcriptional memory of acetylcholinesterase by HDAC4,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, vol. 109, no. 52, pp. E3687–E3695, 2012.
- X. Chen and H. J. Schluesener, “Nanosilver: a nanoproduct in medical application,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2008.