- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205467, 8 pages
Hematological Disorders following Gastric Bypass Surgery: Emerging Concepts of the Interplay between Nutritional Deficiency and Inflammation
1Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
2Department of Surgery, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 4 July 2013
Academic Editor: Benoît Stijlemans
Copyright © 2013 Mingyi Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. G. M. M. Alberti and P. Zimmet, “Metabolic syndrome—a new world-wide definition. A consensus statement from the International Diabetes Federation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 469–480, 2006.
- E. H. Livingston, “Bariatric surgery in the new millennium,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 142, no. 10, pp. 919–922, 2007.
- A. L. Love and H. H. Billett, “Obesity, bariatric surgery, and iron deficiency: true, true, true and related,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 403–409, 2008.
- B. E. Wisse, “The inflammatory syndrome: the role of adipose tissue cytokines in metabolic disorders linked to obesity,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2792–2800, 2004.
- N. Gletsu-Miller, M. Broderius, J. K. Frediani et al., “Incidence and prevalence of copper deficiency following roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 328–335, 2012.
- M. R. Ali, W. D. Fuller, and J. Rasmussen, “Detailed description of early response of metabolic syndrome after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 346–351, 2009.
- C. P. Bernert, C. Ciangura, M. Coupaye, S. Czernichow, J. L. Bouillot, and A. Basdevant, “Nutritional deficiency after gastric bypass: diagnosis, prevention and treatment,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2007.
- R. Green, “Anemias beyond B12 and iron deficiency: the buzz about other B's, elementary, and nonelementary problems,” Hematology/The Education Program of the American Society of Hematology Education Program, vol. 2012, pp. 492–498, 2012.
- J. I. Alvarez-Leite, “Nutrient deficiencies secondary to bariatric surgery,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 569–575, 2004.
- A. S. Haddad, V. Subbiah, A. E. Lichtin, K. S. Theil, and J. P. Maciejewski, “Hypocupremia and bone marrow failure,” Haematologica, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. e1–e5, 2008.
- D. P. Griffith, D. A. Liff, T. R. Ziegler, G. J. Esper, and E. F. Winton, “Acquired copper deficiency: a potentially serious and preventable complication following gastric bypass surgery,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 827–831, 2009.
- A. Federico, E. D'Aiuto, F. Borriello et al., “Fat: a matter of disturbance for the immune system,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 38, pp. 4762–4772, 2010.
- K. E. Wellen and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Obesity-induced inflammatory changes in adipose tissue,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1785–1788, 2003.
- S. Bekri, P. Gual, R. Anty et al., “Increased adipose tissue expression of hepcidin in severe obesity is independent from diabetes and NASH,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 788–796, 2006.
- R. Vuppalanchi, J. S. Troutt, R. J. Konrad, et al., “Serum hepcidin levels are associated with obesity but not liver disease,” Obesity, 2013.
- R. M. Dallal, J. Leighton, and A. Trang, “Analysis of leukopenia and anemia after gastric bypass surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 164–168, 2012.
- P. Topart, “Iron deficiency and anemia after bariatric surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 719–720, 2008.
- C. Hershko, A. V. Hoffbrand, D. Keret et al., “Role of autoimmune gastritis, Helicobacter pylori and celiac disease in refractory or unexplained iron deficiency anemia,” Haematologica, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 585–595, 2005.
- R. Green and R. King, “A new red cell discriminant incorporating volume dispersion for differentiating iron deficiency anemia from thalassemia minor,” Blood Cells, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 481–495, 1989.
- M. Muñoz, J. A. García-Erce, and Á. F. Remacha, “Disorders of iron metabolism, part II: iron deficiency and iron overload,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 287–296, 2011.
- L. Tussing-Humphreys, C. Pustacioglu, E. Nemeth, and C. Braunschweig, “Rethinking iron regulation and assessment in iron deficiency, anemia of chronic disease, and obesity: introducing hepcidin,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 391–400, 2012.
- A. von Drygalski, D. A. Andris, P. R. Nuttleman, S. Jackson, J. Klein, and J. R. Wallace, “Anemia after bariatric surgery cannot be explained by iron deficiency alone: results of a large cohort study,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 2011.
- J. Bertinato and M. R. L'Abbé, “Maintaining copper homeostasis: regulation of copper-trafficking proteins in response to copper deficiency or overload,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 316–322, 2004.
- S. R. Simon, R. F. Branda, B. H. Tindle, and S. L. Burns, “Copper deficiency and sideroblastic anemia associated with zinc ingestion,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 181–183, 1988.
- J. D. Huff, Y. Keung, M. Thakuri et al., “Copper deficiency causes reversible myelodysplasia,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 625–630, 2007.
- I. F. Btaiche, A. Y. Yeh, I. J. Wu, and N. Khalidi, “Neurologic dysfunction and pancytopenia secondary to acquired copper deficiency following duodenal switch: case report and review of the literature,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 583–592, 2011.
- T. Fong, R. Vij, A. Vijayan, J. DiPersio, and M. Blinder, “Copper deficiency: an important consideration in the differential diagnosis of myelodysplastic syndrome,” Haematologica, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 1429–1430, 2007.
- E. Aigner, I. Theurl, H. Haufe et al., “Copper availability contributes to iron perturbations in human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 680.e1–688.e1, 2008.
- C. D. Vulpe, Y. Kuo, T. L. Murphy et al., “Hephaestin, a ceruloplasmin homologue implicated in intestinal iron transport, is defective in the sla mouse,” Nature Genetics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 195–199, 1999.
- E. L. Herzog, L. Chai, and D. S. Krause, “Plasticity of marrow-derived stem cells,” Blood, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 3483–3493, 2003.
- W. Harless, E. Crowell, and J. Abraham, “Anemia and neutropenia associated with copper deficiency of unclear etiology,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 546–549, 2006.
- X. Gregg, V. Reddy, and J. T. Prchal, “Copper deficiency masquerading as myelodysplastic syndrome,” Blood, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 1493–1495, 2002.
- E. Aigner, I. Theurl, M. Theurl et al., “Pathways underlying iron accumulation in human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1374–1383, 2008.
- T. Peled, E. Landau, E. Prus, A. J. Treves, and E. Fibach, “Cellular copper content modulates differentiation and self-renewal in cultures of cord blood-derived CD34+ cells,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 655–661, 2002.
- I. Theurl, E. Aigner, M. Theurl et al., “Regulation of iron homeostasis in anemia of chronic disease and iron deficiency anemia: diagnostic and therapeutic implications,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 21, pp. 5277–5286, 2009.
- G. Weiss and L. T. Goodnough, “Anemia of chronic disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 10, pp. 1011–1023, 2005.
- A. Viardot, R. V. Lord, and K. Samaras, “The effects of weight loss and gastric banding on the innate and adaptive immune system in type 2 diabetes and prediabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2845–2850, 2010.
- R. T. Means Jr. and S. B. Krantz, “Inhibition of human erythroid colony-forming units by γ interferon can be corrected by recombinant human erythropoietin,” Blood, vol. 78, no. 10, pp. 2564–2567, 1991.
- M. Wessling-Resnick, “Iron homeostasis and the inflammatory response,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 30, pp. 105–122, 2010.
- J. M. Gimble and M. E. Nuttall, “The relationship between adipose tissue and bone metabolism,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 874–879, 2012.
- M. B. Zimmermann, C. Zeder, S. Muthayya et al., “Adiposity in women and children from transition countries predicts decreased iron absorption, iron deficiency and a reduced response to iron fortification,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1098–1104, 2008.
- S. A. Xanthakos, “Nutritional deficiencies in obesity and after bariatric surgery,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1105–1121, 2009.
- D. N. Fiske, H. E. McCoy III, and C. S. Kitchens, “Zinc-induced sideroblastic anemia: report of a case, review of the literature, and description of the hematologic syndrome,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 147–150, 1994.
- D. R. Cottam, P. A. Schaefer, G. W. Shaftan, and L. D. G. Angus, “Dysfunctional immune-privilege in morbid obesity: implications and effect of gastric bypass surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2003.