- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205948, 9 pages
Urine Bikunin as a Marker of Renal Impairment in Fabry's Disease
1Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, University of Sassari, Via Muroni 25, 07100 Sassari, Italy
2Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro 10, 07100 Sassari, Italy
3Unità Operativa di Pediatria Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliera “Pugliese-Ciaccio”, Viale Pio X, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Received 22 February 2013; Revised 2 May 2013; Accepted 20 May 2013
Academic Editor: Achilleas D. Theocharis
Copyright © 2013 Antonio Junior Lepedda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. A. Zarate and R. J. Hopkin, “Fabry's disease,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9647, pp. 1427–1435, 2008.
- R. J. Desnick and R. O. Brady, “Fabry disease in childhood,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 144, no. 5, Supplement, pp. S20–S26, 2004.
- F. Breunig and C. Wanner, “Update on Fabry disease: kidney involvement, renal progression and enzyme replacement therapy,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2008.
- R. Schiffmann, “Fabry disease,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 65–77, 2009.
- M. Torralba-Cabeza, S. Olivera, D. A. Hughes, G. M. Pastores, R. N. Mateo, and J. Pérez-Calvo, “Cystatin C and NT-proBNP as prognostic biomarkers in Fabry disease,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 301–307, 2011.
- J. D. Esko, K. Kimata, and U. Lindahl, “Proteoglycans and sulfated glycosaminoglycans,” in Essential of Glycobiology, A. Varki, R. D. Cummings, J. D. Esko, et al., Eds., Chapter 16, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- M. Ly, F. E. Leach, T. N. Laremore, T. Toida, I. J. Amster, and R. J. Linhardt, “The proteoglycan bikunin has a defined sequence,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 827–833, 2011.
- A. Zinellu, S. Pisanu, E. Zinellu et al., “A novel LIF-CE method for the separation of hyalurnan- and chondroitin sulfate-derived disaccharides: application to structural and quantitative analyses of human plasma low- and high-charged chondroitin sulfate isomers,” Electrophoresis, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 2439–2447, 2007.
- E. Zinellu, A. J. Lepedda, A. Cigliano et al., “Association between human plasma chondroitin sulfate isomers and carotid atherosclerotic plaques,” Biochemistry Research International, vol. 2012, Article ID 281284, 6 pages, 2012.
- L. Zhuo, V. C. Hascall, and K. Kimata, “Inter-α-trypsin inhibitor, a covalent protein-glycosaminoglycan- protein complex,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 37, pp. 38079–38082, 2004.
- H. Matsuzaki, H. Kobayashi, T. Yagyu et al., “Plasma bikunin as a favorable prognostic factor in ovarian cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1463–1472, 2005.
- P. De Muro, R. Faedda, A. Satta et al., “Urinary glycosaminoglycan composition in chronic glomerulonephritis,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 154–160, 2005.
- P. De Muro, R. Faedda, A. E. Satta et al., “Quali-quantitative analysis of urinary glycosaminoglycans for monitoring glomerular inflammatory activity,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2007.
- P. De Muro, R. Faedda, A. Masala et al., “Kidney post-transplant monitoring of urinary glycosaminoglycans/proteoglycans and monokine induced by IFN-γ (MIG),” Clinical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2013.
- P. De Muro, P. Fresu, G. Tonolo et al., “A longitudinal evaluation of urinary glycosaminoglycan excretion in normoalbuminuric type 1 diabetic patients,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 561–567, 2006.
- P. De Muro, R. Faedda, M. Formato et al., “Urinary glycosaminoglycans in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2001.
- P. De Muro, G. Capobianco, M. Formato et al., “Glycosaminoglycan and transforming growth factor β1 changes in human plasma and urine during the menstrual cycle, in vitro fertilization treatment, and pregnancy,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 320–327, 2009.
- M. J. Pugia, R. Valdes Jr., and S. A. Jortani, “Bikunin (urinary trypsin inhibitor): structure, biological relevance, and measurement,” Advances in Clinical Chemistry, vol. 44, pp. 223–245, 2007.
- S. De Lin, R. Endo, H. Kuroda et al., “Plasma and urine levels of urinary trypsira inhibitor in patients with chronic liver diseases and hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 327–332, 2004.
- K. Sakai, H. Okudera, and K. Hongo, “Significant elevation of urinary trypsin inhibitor in patients with brain contusion—a preliminary report,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 677–679, 2003.
- T. Bitter and H. M. Muir, “A modified uronic acid carbazole reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 330–334, 1962.
- R. Cappelletti, M. Del Rosso, and V. P. Chiarugi, “A new electrophoretic method for the complete separation of all known animal glycosaminoglycans in a monodimensional run,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 311–315, 1979.
- A. Zinellu, A. Lepedda Jr., S. Sotgia et al., “Albumin-bound low molecular weight thiols analysis in plasma and carotid plaques by CE,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 126–131, 2010.
- M. H. Branton, R. Schiffmann, S. G. Sabnis et al., “Natural history of fabry renal disease: influence of α-galactosidase a activity and genetic mutations on clinical course,” Medicine, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 122–138, 2002.
- A. Mehta, M. Beck, P. Elliott et al., “Enzyme replacement therapy with agalsidase alfa in patients with Fabry's disease: an analysis of registry data,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9706, pp. 1986–1996, 2009.
- D. G. Warnock and M. L. West, “Diagnosis and management of kidney involvement in fabry disease,” Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 138–147, 2006.
- M. Ries, J. T. R. Clarke, C. Whybra et al., “Enzyme-replacement therapy with agalsidase alfa in children with Fabry disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 924–932, 2006.
- R. Schiffmann, S. Waldek, A. Benigni, and C. Auray-Blais, “Biomarkers of fabry disease nephropathy,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 360–364, 2010.
- E. Ortu, L. Fancellu, G. Sau et al., “Primary motor cortex hyperexcitability in Fabry's disease,” Clinical Neurophysiology, 2013.
- A. C. Vedder, É. Biró, J. M. F. G. Aerts, R. Nieuwland, G. Sturk, and C. E. M. Hollak, “Plasma markers of coagulation and endothelial activation in Fabry disease: impact of renal impairment,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 3074–3081, 2009.
- Y. Kikumoto, Y. Kai, H. Morinaga et al., “Fabry disease exhibiting recurrent stroke and persistent inflammation,” Internal Medicine, vol. 49, no. 20, pp. 2247–2252, 2010.
- A. H. Futerman and G. Van Meer, “The cell biology of lysosomal storage disorders,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 554–565, 2004.
- E. B. Vitner, F. M. Platt, and A. H. Futerman, “Common and uncommon pathogenic cascades in lysosomal storage diseases,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 27, pp. 20423–20427, 2010.
- H. Itoh, M. Tomita, T. Kobayashi, H. Uchino, H. Maruyama, and Y. Nawa, “Expression of inter-α-trypsin inhibitor light chain (bikunin) in human pancreas,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 271–275, 1996.