- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 208912, 10 pages
Modification of a Rodent Hindlimb Model of Secondary Lymphedema: Surgical Radicality versus Radiotherapeutic Ablation
1Department of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110-799, Republic of Korea
2Department of Surgery, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 166 Gumi-ro, Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do 463-707, Republic of Korea
3Department of Surgery, Seoul Metropolitan Government Seoul National University Boramae Medical Center, Seoul 156-707, Republic of Korea
4Department of Surgery, Chosun University Hospital, Chosun University College of Medicine, Gwangju 501-717, Republic of Korea
Received 11 July 2013; Revised 7 September 2013; Accepted 9 September 2013
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2013 Hyung Sub Park et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Szuba and S. G. Rockson, “Lymphedema: classification, diagnosis and therapy,” Vascular Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 145–156, 1998.
- J. E. Zuther, Lymphedema Management: The Comprehensive Guide for Practitioners, Thieme, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- W. S. Shin, A. Szuba, and S. G. Rockson, “Animal models for the study of lymphatic insufficiency,” Lymphatic Research and Biology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 159–169, 2003.
- B. Delius, Uber die Regeneration der Lymphdrusen [Dissertation], 1888, quoted by A. W. Meyer, “An experimental study on the recurrence of lymphatic glands and the regeneration of lymphatic vessels in the dog,” Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital, vol. 17, p. 185, 1906.
- C. Hadamitzky and R. Pabst, “Acquired lymphedema: an urgent need for adequate animal models,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 343–345, 2008.
- J. R. Casley Smith, L. Clodius, and M. Foldi, “Experimental blood vascular and lymphatic occlusion in the rabbit ear and the effect of benzopyrones,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 379–382, 1977.
- T. Tammela and K. Alitalo, “Lymphangiogenesis: molecular Mechanisms and Future Promise,” Cell, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 460–476, 2010.
- H. S. Park, S. Hahn, G. H. Choi, Y. S. Yoo, J. Y. Lee, and T. Lee, “Muscle-Derived stem cells promote angiogenesis and attenuate intimal hyperplasia in different murine vascular disease models,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 866–877, 2013.
- H. S. Park, G. H. Choi, S. Hahn, Y. S. Yoo, J. Y. Lee, and T. Lee, “Potential role of vascular smooth muscle cell-like progenitor cell therapy in the suppression of experimental abdominal aortic aneurysms,” Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 431, no. 2, pp. 326–331, 2013.
- W. Olszewski, Z. Machowski, J. Sokolowski, and J. Nielubowicz, “Experimental lymphedema in dogs,” Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 178–183, 1968.
- G.-Y. Wang and S.-Z. Zhong, “A model of experimental lymphedema in rats' limbs,” Microsurgery, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 204–210, 1985.
- L. Lee-Donaldson, M. H. Witte, M. Bernas, C. L. Witte, D. Way, and B. Stea, “Refinement of a rodent model of peripheral lymphedema,” Lymphology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 111–117, 1999.
- M. A. Kanter, S. A. Slavin, and W. Kaplan, “An experimental model for chronic lymphedema,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 573–580, 1990.
- S. K. Das, J. D. Franklin, B. M. O'Brien, and W. A. Morrison, “A practical model of secondary lymphedema in dogs,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 422–428, 1981.
- H.-C. Chen, J. J. Pribaz, B. M. O'Brien, K. R. Knight, and W. A. Morrison, “Creation of distal canine limb lymphedema,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1022–1026, 1989.
- C. Conrad, H. Niess, R. Huss et al., “Multipotent mesenchymal stem cells acquire a lymphendothelial phenotype and enhance lymphatic regeneration in vivo,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 281–289, 2009.
- S. G. Rockson, “Lymphedema,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 288–295, 2001.
- R. Tabibiazar, L. Cheung, J. Han et al., “Inflammatory manifestations of experimental lymphatic insufficiency,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 3, no. 7, article e254, 2006.
- A. Ristimäki, K. Narko, B. Enholm, V. Joukov, and K. Alitalo, “Proinflammatory cytokines regulate expression of the lymphatic endothelial mitogen vascular endothelial growth factor-C,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 14, pp. 8413–8418, 1998.
- C. Mouta and M. Heroult, “Inflammatory triggers of lymphangiogenesis,” Lymphatic research and biology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 201–218, 2003.
- A. Szuba, M. Skobe, M. J. Karkkainen et al., “Therapeutic lymphangiogenesis with human recombinant VEGF-C,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1985–1987, 2002.
- Y.-S. Yoon, T. Murayama, E. Gravereaux et al., “VEGF-C gene therapy augments postnatal lymphangiogenesis and ameliorates secondary lymphedema,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 717–725, 2003.
- Y. Saito, H. Nakagami, R. Morishita et al., “Transfection of human hepatocyte growth factor gene ameliorates secondary lymphedema via promotion of lymphangiogenesis,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1177–1184, 2006.
- R. Cao, M. A. Björndahl, P. Religa et al., “PDGF-BB induces intratumoral lymphangiogenesis and promotes lymphatic metastasis,” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 333–345, 2004.
- B. M. Deasy, R. J. Jankowski, and J. Huard, “Muscle-derived stem cells: characterization and potential for cell-mediated therapy,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 924–933, 2001.
- R. Liersch, F. Nay, L. Lu, and M. Detmar, “Induction of lymphatic endothelial cell differentiation in embryoid bodies,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1214–1216, 2006.
- T. Kono, H. Kubo, C. Shimazu et al., “Differentiation of lymphatic endothelial cells from embryonic stem cells on OP9 stromal cells,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2070–2076, 2006.
- K. Harada, T. Yamazaki, C. Iwata et al., “Identification of targets of Prox1 during in vitro vascular differentiation from embryonic stem cells: functional roles of HoxD8 in lymphangiogenesis,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 122, no. 21, pp. 3923–3930, 2009.
- J. H. Hwang, I. G. Kim, J. Y. Lee et al., “Therapeutic lymphangiogenesis using stem cell and VEGF-C hydrogel,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 19, pp. 4415–4423, 2011.
- B. M. Deasy, B. M. Gharaibeh, J. B. Pollett et al., “Long-term self-renewal of postnatal muscle-derived stem cells,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 3323–3333, 2005.