- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 210604, 14 pages
Involvement of Nrf2-Mediated Upregulation of Heme Oxygenase-1 in Mollugin-Induced Growth Inhibition and Apoptosis in Human Oral Cancer Cells
1Department of Maxillofacial Tissue Regeneration and Research Center for Tooth & Periodontal Regeneration, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, 1 Heogi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Heogi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
3Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Heogi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
4College of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan 712-749, Republic of Korea
Received 12 February 2013; Revised 3 April 2013; Accepted 5 April 2013
Academic Editor: George Perry
Copyright © 2013 Young-Man Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Schliephake, “Prognostic relevance of molecular markers of oral cancer—a review,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 233–245, 2003.
- E. Yamachika, T. Habte, and D. Oda, “Artemisinin: an alternative treatment for oral squamous cell carcinoma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 2153–2160, 2004.
- J. McCann, “Texas center studies research alternative treatments,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 20, pp. 1485–1486, 1997.
- J. Lee, H. J. Lee, J. D. Park et al., “Anti-cancer activity of highly purified sulfur in immortalized and malignant human oral keratinocytes,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 2008.
- E. C. Kim, Y. S. Hwang, H. J. Lee et al., “Caesalpinia sappan induces cell death by increasing the expression of p53 and p21WAF1/CIP1 in head and neck cancer cells,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 405–414, 2005.
- H. J. Lee, D. H. Son, S. K. Lee et al., “Extract of Coptidis rhizoma induces cytochrome-c dependent apoptosis in immortalized and malignant human oral keratinocytes,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 773–779, 2006.
- Y. G. Yun, B. H. Jeon, J. H. Lee et al., “Verticinone induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in immortalized and malignant human oral keratinocytes,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 416–423, 2008.
- Y. M. Lee, G. S. Jeong, H. D. Lim, R. B. An, Y. C. Kim, and E. C. Kim, “Isoliquiritigenin 2′-methyl ether induces growth inhibition and apoptosis in oral cancer cells via heme oxygenase-1,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 776–782, 2010.
- Y. M. Lee, Y. C. Kim, E. C. Kim, et al., “Mechanism of sappanchalcone-induced growth inhibition and apoptosis in human oral cancer cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1782–1788, 2011.
- J. K. Son, S. J. Jung, M. H. M. H. Woo, et al., “Anticancer constituents from the roots of Rubia cordifolia L.,” Chemical Pharmacology Bulletin, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 213–216, 2008.
- L. C. Chang, D. Chavez, J. J. Gills, H. H. S. Fong, J. M. Pezzuto, and A. D. Kinghorn, “Rubiasins A-C, new anthracene derivatives from the roots and stems of Rubia cordifolia,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 41, no. 37, pp. 7157–7162, 2000.
- W. P. Tse, C. H. K. Cheng, C. T. Che, M. Zhao, and Z. X. Lin, “Induction of apoptosis underlies the Radix Rubiae-mediated anti-proliferative action on human epidermal keratinocytes: implications for psoriasis treatment,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 663–672, 2007.
- K. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, M. K. Kwak et al., “Anti-inflammatory action of mollugin and its synthetic derivatives in HT-29 human colonic epithelial cells is mediated through inhibition of NF-κB activation,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 622, no. 1-3, pp. 52–57, 2009.
- S. M. Kim, H. S. Park, D. Y. Jun et al., “Mollugin induces apoptosis in human Jurkat T cells through endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated activation of JNK and caspase-12 and subsequent activation of mitochondria-dependent caspase cascade regulated by Bcl-xL,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 241, no. 2, pp. 210–220, 2009.
- G. S. Jeong, D. S. Lee, D. C. Kim et al., “Neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects of mollugin via up-regulation of heme oxygenase-1 in mouse hippocampal and microglial cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 654, no. 3, pp. 226–234, 2011.
- D. Y. Jun, C. R. Han, M. S. Choi, M. A. Bae, M. H. Woo, and Y. H. Kim, “Effect of mollugin on apoptosis and adipogenesis of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 724–731, 2011.
- M. T. Do, Y. P. Hwang, H. G. Kim, M. Na, and H. G. Jeong, “Mollugin inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis by suppressing fatty acid synthase in HER2-overexpressing cancer cells through modulation of a HER2/Akt/SREBP-1c signaling,” Journal of Cell Physiology, vol. 228, no. 5, pp. 1087–1097, 2012.
- S. K. Lee, H. I. Choi, Y. S. Yang et al., “Nitric oxide modulates osteoblastic differentiation with heme oxygenase-1 via the mitogen activated protein kinase and nuclear factor-κB pathways in human periodontal ligament cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1328–1334, 2009.
- S. K. Lee, S. H. Pi, S. H. Kim et al., “Substance P regulates macrophage inflammatory protein 3α/chemokine C-C ligand 20 (CCL20) with heme oxygenase-1 in human periodontal ligament cells,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 567–575, 2007.
- S. H. Pi, S. C. Kim, H. T. Kim, H. J. Lee, S. K. Lee, and E. C. Kim, “Defense mechanism of heme oxygenase-1 against cytotoxic and receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand inducing effects of hydrogen peroxide in human periodontal ligament cells,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 331–339, 2007.
- K. D. Poss and S. Tonegawa, “Reduced stress defense in heme oxygenase 1-deficient cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 20, pp. 10925–10930, 1997.
- E. Balogun, M. Hoque, P. Gong et al., “Curcumin activates the haem oxygenase-1 gene via regulation of Nrf2 and the antioxidant-responsive element,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 371, no. 3, pp. 887–895, 2003.
- D. Martin, A. I. Rojo, M. Salinas et al., “Regulation of heme Oxygenase-1 expression through the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/akt pathway and the Nrf2 transcription factor in response to the antioxidant phytochemical carnosol,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 10, pp. 8919–8929, 2004.
- A. A. Anwar, F. Y. L. Li, D. S. Leake, T. Ishii, G. E. Mann, and R. C. M. Siow, “Induction of heme oxygenase 1 by moderately oxidized low-density lipoproteins in human vascular smooth muscle cells: role of mitogen-activated protein kinases and Nrf2,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 227–236, 2005.
- M. Cardinali, H. Pietraszkiewicz, J. F. Ensley, and K. C. Robbins, “Tyrosine phosphorylation as a marker for aberrantly regulated growth-promoting pathways in cell lines derived from head and neck malignancies,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 98–103, 1995.
- S. H. Pi, S. K. Lee, Y. S. Hwang, M. G. Choi, S. K. Lee, and E. C. Kim, “Differential expression of periodontal ligament-specific markers and osteogenic differentiation in human papilloma virus 16-immortalized human gingival fibroblasts and periodontal ligament cells,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 104–113, 2007.
- S. Ghosh and M. Karin, “Missing pieces in the NF-κB puzzle,” Cell, vol. 109, pp. S81–S96, 2002.
- Y. Suh, F. Afaq, J. J. Johnson, and H. Mukhtar, “A plant flavonoid fisetin induces apoptosis in colon cancer cells by inhibition of COX2 and Wnt/EGFR/NF-κB-signaling pathways,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 300–307, 2009.
- B. B. Aggarwal, “Nuclear factor κB, the enemy within,” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 203–208, 2004.
- G. Sethi, B. Sung, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Nuclear factor-κB activation: from bench to bedside,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 233, no. 1, pp. 21–31, 2008.
- M. Bond, R. P. Fabunmi, A. H. Baker, and A. C. Newby, “Synergistic upregulation of metalloproteinase-9 by growth factors and inflammatory cytokines: an absolute requirement for transcription factor NF-κB,” FEBS Letters, vol. 435, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 1998.
- C. Lawson, M. Ainsworth, M. Yacoub, and M. Rose, “Ligation of ICAM-1 on endothelial cells leads to expression of VCAM-1 via a nuclear factor-κB-independent mechanism,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 162, no. 5, pp. 2990–2996, 1999.
- R. S. Kerbel, “Tumor angiogenesis: past, present and the near future,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 505–515, 2000.
- D. Xiao, S. Choi, D. E. Johnson et al., “Diallyl trisulfide-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells involves c-Jun N-terminal kinase and extracellular-signal regulated kinase-mediated phosphorylation of Bcl-2,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 33, pp. 5594–5606, 2004.
- Q. B. She, A. M. Bode, W. Y. Ma, N. Y. Chen, and Z. Dong, “Resveratrol-induced activation of p53 and apoptosis is mediated by extracellular-signal-regulated protein kinases and p38 kinase,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 1604–1610, 2001.
- A. Brozovic, G. Fritz, M. Christmann et al., “Long-term activation of SAPK/JNK, p38 kinase and fas-L expression by cisplatin is attenuated in human carcinoma cells that acquired drug resistance,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 974–985, 2004.
- A. Jozkowicz, H. Was, and J. Dulak, “Heme oxygenase-1 in tumors: is it a false friend?” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2099–2117, 2007.
- P. O. Berberat, Z. Dambrauskas, A. Gulbinas et al., “Inhibition of heme oxygenase-1 increases responsiveness of pancreatic cancer cells to anticancer treatment,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 3790–3798, 2005.
- M. Hill, V. Pereira, C. Chauveau et al., “Heme oxygenase-1 inhibits rat and human breast cancer cell proliferation: mutual cross inhibition with indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase,” FASEB Journal, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1957–1968, 2005.
- J. Alam and J. L. Cook, “Transcriptional regulation of the heme oxygenase-1 gene via the stress response element pathway,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 9, no. 30, pp. 2499–2511, 2003.
- T. Ishii, K. Itoh, S. Takahashi et al., “Transcription factor Nrf2 coordinately regulates a group of oxidative stress-inducible genes in macrophages,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 21, pp. 16023–16029, 2000.
- J. Pi, Y. Bai, J. M. Reece et al., “Molecular mechanism of human Nrf2 activation and degradation: role of sequential phosphorylation by protein kinase CK2,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 1797–1806, 2007.
- T. Nguyen, P. J. Sherratt, H. C. Huang, C. S. Yang, and C. B. Pickett, “Increased protein stability as a mechanism that enhances Nrf2-mediated transcriptional activation of the antioxidant response element: degradation of Nrf2 by the 26 S proteasome,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 7, pp. 4536–4541, 2003.
- G. Sethi, B. Sung, B. B. Aggarwal, et al., “Nuclear factor-κB activation: from bench to bedside,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 515–524, 2006.
- J. H. Lim, H. S. Park, J. K. Choi, I. S. Lee, and J. C. Hyun, “Isoorientin induces Nrf2 pathway-driven antioxidant response through phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1590–1598, 2007.
- W. Li, T. O. Khor, C. Xu et al., “Activation of Nrf2-antioxidant signaling attenuates NFκB-inflammatory response and elicits apoptosis,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 1485–1489, 2008.
- A. Banning and R. Brigelius-Flohé, “NF-κB, Nrf2, and HO-1 interplay in redox-regulated VCAM-1 expression,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 7-8, pp. 889–899, 2005.