- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 214128, 7 pages
Clinical Epidemiology of Reduced Kidney Function among Elderly Male Fishing and Agricultural Population in Taipei, Taiwan
1School of Medicine, Tzu-Chi University, Hualien 970, Taiwan
2Department of Family and Community Medicine, Cheng-Hsin General Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
3New Taipei City Hospital, Taipei 241, Taiwan
4Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
5Department of Healthcare Management, Yuanpei University, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan
6Oriental Institute of Technology, Taipei 220, Taiwan
7NHI Dispute Mediation Committee, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taipei 103, Taiwan
8Institute of Health and Welfare Policy, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
9Department of Nursing, Kang-Ning Junior College of Medical Care and Management, Taipei 114, Taiwan
10School of Medicine, Faculty of Public Health, Fu-Jen Catholic University, New Taipei City 242, Taiwan
11Department of Medical Research and Education, Cheng-Hsin General Hospital, Shih-Pai, Taipei 112, Taiwan
12Department of Crime Prevention and Correction, Central Police University, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Received 30 August 2013; Revised 9 October 2013; Accepted 12 October 2013
Academic Editor: Vecihi Batuman
Copyright © 2013 Chi-Mei Kuo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Chen, W. Chen, H. Wang et al., “Prevalence and risk factors associated with chronic kidney disease in an adult population from southern China,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1205–1212, 2009.
- K. Yamagata, K. Ishida, T. Sairenchi et al., “Risk factors for chronic kidney disease in a community-based population: a 10-year follow-up study,” Kidney International, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 159–166, 2007.
- J. Chen, D. Gu, C.-S. Chen et al., “Association between the metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in Chinese adults,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1100–1106, 2007.
- J. Y. Chen, S. T. Tsai, C. T. Hsu, J.-H. Liu, and T.-H. Tung, “Cost-benefit analysis of screening for gallstone disease among Chinese population in Taiwan,” The Open Access Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 1, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- G. M. Lord, R. Tagore, T. Cook, P. Gower, and C. D. Pusey, “Nephropathy caused by Chinese herb in the UK,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9177, pp. 481–482, 1999.
- S. Y. Jang, I.-H. Kim, E. Y. Ju, S. J. Ahn, D.-K. Kim, and S. W. Lee, “Chronic kidney disease and metabolic syndrome in a general Korean population: the Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III) Study,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 538–546, 2010.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels et al., “Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome. An American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Executive summary,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 17, pp. 2735–2752, 2005.
- A. G. Shaper, G. Wannamethee, and M. Walker, “Alcohol and mortality in British men: explaining the U-shaped curve,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8623, pp. 1267–1273, 1988.
- J.-J. Wang, T.-H. Tung, W.-H. Yin et al., “Effects of moderate alcohol consumption on inflammatory biomarkers,” Acta Cardiologica, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2008.
- K. Iseki, “Metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease: a Japanese perspective on a worldwide problem,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 305–312, 2008.
- H. Tanaka, Y. Shiohira, Y. Uezu, A. Higa, and K. Iseki, “Metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in Okinawa, Japan,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 369–374, 2006.
- A. S. Levey, J. P. Bosch, J. B. Lewis, T. Greene, N. Rogers, and D. Roth, “A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 461–470, 1999.
- A. D. Rule, T. S. Larson, E. J. Bergstralh, J. M. Slezak, S. J. Jacobsen, and F. G. Cosio, “Using serum creatinine to estimate glomerular filtration rate: accuracy in good health and in chronic kidney disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 141, no. 12, pp. 929–937, 2004.
- M. Tesauro, M. P. Canale, G. Rodia, et al., “Metabolic syndrome, chronic kidney, and cardiovascular diseases: role of adipokines,” Cardiology Research and Practice, vol. 2011, Article ID 653182, 11 pages, 2011.
- I. M. Wahba and R. H. Mak, “Obesity and obesity-initiated metabolic syndrome: mechanistic links to chronic kidney disease,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 550–562, 2007.
- C.-Y. Hsu, C. E. McCulloch, C. Iribarren, J. Darbinian, and A. S. Go, “Body mass index and risk for end-stage renal disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2006.
- E. Ejerblad, C. M. Fored, P. Lindblad, J. Fryzek, J. K. McLaughlin, and O. Nyrén, “Obesity and risk for chronic renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1695–1702, 2006.
- I. Janssen, P. T. Katzmarzyk, and R. Ross, “Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 379–384, 2004.
- F. Sun, Q. Tao, and S. Zhan, “Metabolic syndrome and the development of chronic kidney disease among 118 924 non-diabetic Taiwanese in a retrospective cohort,” Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 84–92, 2010.
- T. Ninomiya, Y. Kiyohara, M. Kubo et al., “Metabolic syndrome and CKD in a general Japanese population: the Hisayama Study,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 383–391, 2006.
- A. O. Y. Luk, R. C. W. Ma, W.-Y. So et al., “The NCEP-ATPIII but not the IDF criteria for the metabolic syndrome identify type 2 diabetic patients at increased risk of chronic kidney disease,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1419–1425, 2008.
- L.-C. See, C.-F. Kuo, F.-H. Chuang et al., “Hyperuricemia and metabolic syndrome: associations with chronic kidney disease,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 323–330, 2011.
- F. Locatelli, P. Pozzoni, and L. del Vecchio, “Renal manifestations in the metabolic syndrome,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. S81–S85, 2006.
- Y. Matsuzawa, “Pathophysiology and molecular mechanism of visceral fat syndrome: the Japanese experience,” Diabetes/Metabolism Reviews, vol. 13, pp. 3–13, 1997.
- I. Shimomura, T. Funahashi, M. Takahashi et al., “Enhanced expression of PAI-1 in visceral fat: possible contributor to vascular disease in obesity,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 800–803, 1996.
- B. F. Culleton, M. G. Larson, P. W. F. Wilson, J. C. Evans, P. S. Parfrey, and D. Levy, “Cardiovascular disease and mortality in a community-based cohort with mild renal insufficiency,” Kidney International, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 2214–2219, 1999.
- P. Muntner, J. Coresh, J. C. Smith, J. Eckfeldt, and M. J. Klag, “Plasma lipids and risk of developing renal dysfunction: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 293–301, 2000.
- J. Chen, P. Muntner, L. L. Hamm et al., “The metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in U.S. adults,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 167–I39, 2004.
- Y. M. Barri, “Hypertension and kidney disease: a deadly connection,” Current Cardiology Reports, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 411–417, 2006.
- P. Cirillo, W. Sato, S. Reungjui et al., “Uric acid, the metabolic syndrome, and renal disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. S165–S168, 2006.
- M. Mazzali, Y.-G. Kim, S.-I. Suga et al., “Hyperuricemia exacerbates chronic cyclosporine nephropathy,” Transplantation, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 900–905, 2001.
- D.-H. Kang, T. Nakagawa, L. Feng et al., “A role for uric acid in the progression of renal disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 2888–2897, 2002.
- K. Iseki, S. Oshiro, M. Tozawa, C. Iseki, Y. Ikemiya, and S. Takishita, “Significance of hyperuricemia on the early detection of renal failure in a cohort of screened subjects,” Hypertension Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 691–697, 2001.
- G. W. Heiman, Research Methods in Psychology, Houghton Mifflin Company, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2002.