- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 215989, 9 pages
Estimation of the Lateral Ventricles Volumes from a 2D Image and Its Relationship with Cerebrospinal Fluid Flow
1Department of Imaging, Jules Verne University of Picardy and Amiens University Hospital, 80054 Amiens Cedex, France
2Department of Neurosurgery, Jules Verne University of Picardy and Amiens University Hospital, 80054 Amiens Cedex, France
3Department of Geriatrics, Jules Verne University of Picardy and Amiens University Hospital, 80054 Amiens Cedex, France
4Department of Radiology, Jules Verne University of Picardy and Amiens University Hospital, 80054 Amiens Cedex, France
Received 26 March 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Tosiaki Miyati
Copyright © 2013 Chaarani Bader et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Reitz, C. Brayne, and R. Mayeux, “Epidemiology of Alzheimer disease,” Nature Reviews Neurology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 137–152, 2011.
- G. Gold, P. Fontana, and D. Zekry, “Vascular dementia: past, present and future,” Schweizer Archiv fur Neurologie und Psychiatrie, vol. 153, no. 8, pp. 372–378, 2002.
- N. Tanaka, S. Yamaguchi, H. Ishikawa, H. Ishii, and K. Meguro, “Prevalence of possible idiopathic normal-pressure hydrocephalus in Japan: the Osaki-Tajiri project,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 171–175, 2009.
- A. Brean and P. K. Eide, “Prevalence of probable idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus in a Norwegian population,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2008.
- R.D. Adams, C. M. Fisher, S. Hakim, R. G. Ojemann, and W. H. Sweet, “Symptomatic occult hydrocephalus with “normal” cerebrospinal-fluid pressure. A treatable syndrome,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 273, pp. 117–126, 1965.
- P. Bret, J. Guyotat, and J. Chazal, “Is normal pressure hydrocephalus a valid concept in 2002? A reappraisal in five questions and proposal for a new designation of the syndrome as “chronic hydrocephalus”,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2002.
- S. El Sankari, C. Gondry-Jouet, A. Fichten et al., “Cerebrospinal fluid and blood flow in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease: a differential diagnosis from idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus,” Fluids and Barriers of the CNS, vol. 8, no. 1, article 12, 2011.
- W. W. Chiang, C. G. Takoudis, S. H. Lee, A. Weis-Mcnulty, R. Glick, and N. Alperin, “Relationship between ventricular morphology and aqueductal cerebrospinal fluid flow in healthy and communicating hydrocephalus,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 192–199, 2009.
- A. C. Evans, D. L. Collins, S. R. Mills, E. D. Brown, R. L. Kelly, and T. M. Peters, “3D statistical neuroanatomical models from 305 MRI volumes,” in Proceedings of the 1993 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium & Medical Imaging Conference, vol. 3 of IEEE Conference Record, pp. 1813–1817, November 1993.
- E. M. Chatzidakis, G. Barlas, N. Condilis et al., “Brain CT scan indexes in the normal pressure hydrocephalus: predictive value in the outcome of patients and correlation to the clinical symptoms,” Annali Italiani di Chirurgia, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 353–362, 2008.
- A. Marmarou, P. Black, M. Bergsneider, P. Klinge, and N. Relkin, “Guidelines for management of idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus: progress to date,” Acta Neurochirurgica, no. 95, pp. 237–240, 2005.
- N. Otsu, “A threshold selection method from gray-level histogram,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 1979.
- O. Balédent, M. C. C. Henry-Feugeas, and I. Idy-Peretti, “Cerebrospinal fluid dynamics and relation with blood flow: a magnetic resonance study with semiautomated cerebrospinal fluid segmentation,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 368–377, 2001.
- V. Barra, E. Frenoux, and J. Y. Boire, “Automatic volumetric measurement of lateral ventricles on magnetic resonance images with correction of partial volume effects,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2002.
- A. Tsunoda, H. Mitsuoka, K. Sato, and S. Kanayama, “A quantitative index of intracranial cerebrospinal fluid distribution in normal pressure hydrocephalus using an MRI-based processing technique,” Neuroradiology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 424–429, 2000.
- S. M. Nestor, R. Rupsingh, M. Borrie et al., “Ventricular enlargement as a possible measure of Alzheimer's disease progression validated using the Alzheimer's disease neuroimaging initiative database,” Brain, vol. 131, part 9, pp. 2443–2454, 2008.
- G. A. Bateman, C. R. Levi, P. Schofield, Y. Wang, and E. C. Lovett, “The pathophysiology of the aqueduct stroke volume in normal pressure hydrocephalus: can co-morbidity with other forms of dementia be excluded?” Neuroradiology, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 741–748, 2005.
- D. Greitz, R. Wirestam, A. Franck, B. Nordell, C. Thomsen, and N. Ståhlberg, “Pulsatile brain movement and associated hydrodynamics studied by magnetic resonance phase imaging. The Monoro-Kellie doctrine revisited,” Neuroradiology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 370–380, 1992.
- S. Stoquart-Elsankari, P. Lehmann, A. Villette et al., “A phase-contrast MRI study of physiologic cerebral venous flow,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1208–1215, 2009.
- F. Barkhof, M. Kouwenhoven, P. Scheltens, M. Sprenger, P. Algra, and J. Valk, “Phase-contrast cine MR imaging of normal aqueductal CSF flow. Effect of aging and relation to CSF void on modulus MR,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 123–130, 1994.
- J. R. WOMERSLEY, “Method for the calculation of velocity, rate of flow and viscous drag in arteries when the pressure gradient is known,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 553–563, 1955.
- C. Loudon and A. Tordesillas, “The use of the dimensionless Womersley number to characterize the unsteady nature of internal flow,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 63–78, 1998.
- G. Bardan, F. Plouraboué, M. Zagzoule, and O. Balédent, “Simple patient-based transmantle pressure and shear estimate from cine phase-contrast MRI in cerebral aqueduct,” IEEE Transactions on Bio-Medical Engineering, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2874–2883.