- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 218543, 10 pages
Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Human Umbilical Cord Tissue into Odontoblast-Like Cells Using the Conditioned Medium of Tooth Germ Cells In Vitro
1Department of Prosthodontics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
2Department of Oral Health Sciences, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
3The Key Laboratory of Cell Transplantation of the Ministry of Health and Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
4Department of Dentistry, The Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
5Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
Received 2 November 2012; Accepted 8 April 2013
Academic Editor: Barry J. Byrne
Copyright © 2013 Tian Xia Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ohazama, S. A. C. Modino, I. Miletich, and P. T. Sharpe, “Stem-cell-based tissue engineering of murine teeth,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 518–522, 2004.
- P. Charbord, “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells: historical overview and concepts,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1045–1056, 2010.
- A. M. Rodriguez, C. Elabd, E. Z. Amri, G. Ailhaud, and C. Dani, “The human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells,” Biochimie, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 125–128, 2005.
- A. Schäffler and C. Büchler, “Concise review: adipose tissue-derived stromal cells—basic and clinical implications for novel cell-based therapies,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 818–827, 2007.
- O. K. Lee, T. K. Kuo, W. M. Chen, K. D. Lee, S. L. Hsieh, and T. H. Chen, “Isolation of multipotent mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord blood,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1669–1675, 2004.
- L. Crigler, A. Kazhanie, T. J. Yoon et al., “Isolation of a mesenchymal cell population from murine dermis that contains progenitors of multiple cell lineages,” FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2050–2063, 2007.
- Z. Y. Li, L. Chen, L. Liu, Y. F. Lin, S. W. Li, and W. D. Tian, “Odontogenic potential of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 494–500, 2007.
- M. Secco, E. Zucconi, N. M. Vieira et al., “Multipotent stem cells from umbilical cord: cord is richer than blood!,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 146–150, 2008.
- H. S. Wang, S. C. Hung, S. T. Peng et al., “Mesenchymal stem cells in the Wharton's jelly of the human umbilical cord,” Stem Cells, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1330–1337, 2004.
- S. Karahuseyinoglu, O. Cinar, E. Kilic et al., “Biology of stem cells in human umbilical cord stroma: in situ and in vitro surveys,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 319–331, 2007.
- A. Can and S. Karahuseyinoglu, “Concise review: human umbilical cord stroma with regard to the source of fetus-derived stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2886–2895, 2007.
- L. Wang, I. Tran, K. Seshareddy, M. L. Weiss, and M. S. Detamore, “A comparison of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells and human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stromal cells for cartilage tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2259–2266, 2009.
- J. Y. Hsieh, Y. S. Fu, S. J. Chang, Y. H. Tsuang, and H. W. Wang, “Functional module analysis reveals differential osteogenic and stemness potentials in human mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow and Wharton's Jelly of umbilical cord,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1895–1910, 2010.
- Y. Han, J. Chai, T. Sun, D. Li, and R. Tao, “Differentiation of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells into dermal fibroblasts in vitro,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 413, no. 4, pp. 561–565, 2011.
- L. Wang, L. Ott, K. Seshareddy, M. L. Weiss, and M. S. Detamore, “Musculoskeletal tissue engineering with human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 95–109, 2011.
- M. Y. Chen, P. C. Lie, Z. L. Li, and X. Wei, “Endothelial differentiation of Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells in comparison with bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 629–640, 2009.
- K. E. Mitchell, M. L. Weiss, B. M. Mitchell et al., “Matrix cells from Wharton's jelly form neurons and glia,” Stem Cells, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 2003.
- R. A. Panepucci, J. L. C. Siufi, W. A. Silva Jr. et al., “Comparison of gene expression of umbilical cord vein and bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1263–1278, 2004.
- Q. Zhou and D. A. Melton, “Extreme makeover: converting one cell into another,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 382–388, 2008.
- J. Yu, Z. Deng, J. Shi et al., “Differentiation of dental pulp stem cells into regular-shaped dentin-pulp complex induced by tooth germ cell conditioned medium,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 3097–3105, 2006.
- Y. X. Wang, Z. F. Ma, N. Huo et al., “Porcine tooth germ cell conditioned medium can induce odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 354–362, 2011.
- M. Miura, S. Gronthos, M. Zhao et al., “SHED: stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 5807–5812, 2003.
- M. T. Duailibi, S. E. Duailibi, C. S. Young, J. D. Bartlett, J. P. Vacanti, and P. C. Yelick, “Bioengineered teeth from cultured rat tooth bud cells,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 523–528, 2004.
- V. T. Sakai, Z. Zhang, Z. Dong et al., “SHED differentiate into functional odontoblasts and endothelium,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 791–796, 2010.
- W. Jing, L. Wu, Y. Lin, L. Liu, W. Tang, and W. Tian, “Odontogenic differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells for tooth regeneration: necessity, possibility, and strategy,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 540–542, 2008.
- N. Huo, L. Tang, Z. Yang et al., “Differentiation of dermal multipotent cells into odontogenic lineage induced by embryonic and neonatal tooth germ cell-conditioned medium,” Stem Cells Development, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 93–104, 2010.
- C. de Bruyn, M. Najar, G. Raicevic et al., “A rapid, simple, and reproducible method for the isolation of mesenchymal stromal cells from wharton's jelly without enzymatic treatment,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 547–557, 2011.
- I. Majore, P. Moretti, F. Stahl, R. Hass, and C. Kasper, “Growth and differentiation properties of mesenchymal stromal cell populations derived from whole human umbilical cord,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 17–31, 2011.
- C. K. Tong, S. Vellasamy, B. C. Tan et al., “Generation of mesenchymal stem cell from human umbilical cord tissue using a combination enzymatic and mechanical disassociation method,” Cell Biology International, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 221–226, 2011.
- A. Almushayt, K. Narayanan, A. E. Zaki, and A. George, “Dentin matrix protein 1 induces cytodifferentiation of dental pulp stem cells into odontoblasts,” Gene Therapy, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 611–620, 2006.
- M. M. Cordeiro, Z. Dong, T. Kaneko et al., “Dental pulp tissue engineering with stem cells from exfoliated deciduous teeth,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 962–969, 2008.
- K. Janebodin, O. V. Horst, N. Ieronimakis et al., “Isolation and characterization of neural crest-derived stem cells from dental pulp of neonatal mice,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 11, Article ID e27526, 2011.
- J. Peng, Y. Wang, L. Zhang et al., “Human umbilical cord Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells differentiate into a Schwann-cell phenotype and promote neurite outgrowth in vitro,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 235–243, 2011.
- Z. H. Yang, X. J. Zhang, N. N. Dang et al., “Apical tooth germ cell-conditioned medium enhances the differentiation of periodontal ligament stem cells into cementum/periodontal ligament-like tissues,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 2009.
- B. Inanc and Y. M. Elcin, “Stem cells in tooth tissue regeneration—challenges and limitations,” Stem Cell Revelopment, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 683–692, 2011.
- G. Wu, Z. H. Deng, X. J. Fan et al., “Odontogenic potential of mesenchymal cells from hair follicle dermal papilla,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 583–589, 2009.
- K. Hochedlinger and R. Jaenisch, “Nuclear reprogramming and pluripotency,” Nature, vol. 441, no. 7097, pp. 1061–1067, 2006.
- A. Bakopoulou, G. Leyhausen, J. Volk et al., “Comparative analysis of in vitro osteo/odontogenic differentiation potential of human dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) and stem cells from the apical papilla (SCAP),” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 709–721, 2011.
- C. Qin, J. C. Brunn, E. Cadena et al., “The expression of dentin sialophosphoprotein gene in bone,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 392–394, 2002.
- M. MacDougall, D. Simmons, X. Luan, J. Nydegger, J. Feng, and T. T. Gu, “Dentin phosphoprotein and dentin sialoprotein are cleavage products expressed from a single transcript coded by a gene on human chromosome 4: dentin phosphoprotein DNA sequence determination,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 2, pp. 835–842, 1997.
- W. Zhang, X. F. Walboomers, J. G. C. Wolke, Z. Bian, M. W. Fan, and J. A. Jansen, “Differentiation ability of rat postnatal dental pulp cells in vitro,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 11, no. 3-4, pp. 357–368, 2005.
- M. L. Couble, J. C. Farges, F. Bleicher, B. Perrat-Mabillon, M. Boudeulle, and H. Magloire, “Odontoblast differentiation of human dental pulp cells in explant cultures,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 129–138, 2000.
- K. Narayanan, S. Gajjeraman, A. Ramachandran, J. Hao, and A. George, “Dentin matrix protein 1 regulates dentin sialophosphoprotein gene transcription during early odontoblast differentiation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 28, pp. 19064–19071, 2006.
- A. Siyam, S. Wang, C. Qin et al., “Nuclear localization of DMP1 proteins suggests a role in intracellular signaling,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 424, no. 3, pp. 641–646, 2012.