- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 231378, 9 pages
Potential Utility of Sodium Selenate as an Adjunct to Metformin in Treating Type II Diabetes Mellitus in Rats: A Perspective on Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase
1Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Misr International University (MIU), KM 28 Cairo-Ismailia Road (Ahmed Orabi District), Cairo, Egypt
2Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Misr International University (MIU), Cairo, Egypt
3Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Cairo, Egypt
4Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Received 17 April 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ali Rizvi
Copyright © 2013 Rania M. Salama et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Roglic and N. Unwin, “Mortality attributable to diabetes: estimates for the year 2010,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2010.
- International Diabetes Federation (IDF, 2009): Diabetes Atlas fourth edition.
- S. Schinner, W. A. Scherbaum, S. R. Bornstein, and A. Barthel, “Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 674–682, 2005.
- H. Basciano, L. Federico, and K. Adeli, “Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia,” Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2, no. 1, article 5, 2005.
- Y. D. Kim, K.-G. Park, Y.-S. Lee et al., “Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis through AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent regulation of the orphan nuclear receptor SHP,” Diabetes, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 306–314, 2008.
- N. F. Wiernsperger and C. J. Bailey, “The antihyperglycaemic effect of metf ormin therapeutic and cellular mechanisms,” Drugs, vol. 58, supplement 1, pp. 31–39, 1999.
- G. Zhou, R. Myers, Y. Li et al., “Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin action,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 1167–1174, 2001.
- J. H. McNeill, H. L. M. Delgatty, and M. L. Battell, “Insulinlike effects of sodium selenate in streptozocin-induced diabetic rats,” Diabetes, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1675–1678, 1991.
- D. J. Becker, B. Reul, A. T. Ozcelikay, J. P. Buchet, J.-C. Henquin, and S. M. Brichard, “Oral selenate improves glucose homeostasis and partly reverses abnormal expression of liver glycolytic and gluconeogenic enzymes in diabetic rats,” Diabetologia, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 1996.
- K. A. Kenner, E. Anyanwu, J. M. Olefsky, and J. Kusari, “Protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B is a negative regulator of insulin- and insulin-like growth factor-I-stimulated signaling,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 33, pp. 19810–19816, 1996.
- A. S. Mueller and J. Pallauf, “Compendium of the antidiabetic effects of supranutritional selenate doses. In vivo and in vitro investigations with type II diabetic db/db mice,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 548–560, 2006.
- K. Srinivasan, B. Viswanad, L. Asrat, C. L. Kaul, and P. Ramarao, “Combination of high-fat diet-fed and low-dose streptozotocin-treated rat: a model for type 2 diabetes and pharmacological screening,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 2005.
- S. Matthaei, J. P. Reibold, A. Hamann et al., “In vivo metformin treatment ameliorates insulin resistance: evidence for potentiation of insulin-induced translocation and increased functional activity of glucose transporters in obese (fa/fa) Zucker rat adipocytes,” Endocrinology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 304–311, 1993.
- E. A. Berg, J. Y. Wu, L. Campbell, M. Kagey, and S. R. Stapleton, “Insulin-like effects of vanadate and selenate on the expression of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and fatty acid synthase in diabetic rats,” Biochimie, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 919–924, 1995.
- M. M. Nader, L. A. Eissa, N. M. Gamil, and E.-S. M. Ammar, “Effect of nitric oxide, vitamin E and selenium on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats,” Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23–32, 2007.
- A. Psyrogiannis, V. Kyriazopoulou, A. Symeonidis, M. Leotsinidis, and A. G. Vagenakis, “Relative iron, ‘overload: in offspring of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a new component in the conundrum of insulin resistance syndrome?’,” Hormones(Athens), vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 161–168, 2003.
- P. Trinder, “Determination of blood glucose using 4-amino phenazone as oxygen acceptor,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 22, no. 2, article 246, 1969.
- C. R. Morgan and A. Lazarow, “Immunoassay of insulin using a two-antibody system,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 110, pp. 29–32, 1962.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, and A. S. Rudenski, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- C. C. Allain, L. S. Poon, and C. S. G. Chan, “Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 470–475, 1974.
- A. W. Wahlefeld, “Triglycerides determination after enzymatic hydrolysis,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., pp. 1831–1835, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- C. Matsubara, Y. Nishikawa, Y. Yoshida, and K. Takamura, “A spectrophotometric method for the determination of free fatty acid in serum using acyl-coenzyme A synthetase and acyl-coenzyme A oxidase,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 1983.
- Y. Nakano, S. Tajima, A. Yoshimi et al., “A novel enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay specific for high-molecular- weight adiponectin,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1572–1582, 2006.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- E. Beutler, O. Duron, and B. M. Kelly, “Improved method for the determination of blood glutathione,” The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 61, pp. 882–888, 1963.
- P. A. Lanzetta, L. J. Alvarez, P. S. Reinach, and O. A. Candia, “An improved assay for nanomole amounts of inorganic phosphate,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 95–97, 1979.
- E. Y. Sözmen, B. Sözmen, Y. Delen, and T. Onat, “Catalase/superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase/paraoxonase (PON) ratios may implicate poor glycemic control,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 283–287, 2001.
- O. O. Erejuwa, S. A. Sulaiman, M. S. A. Wahab, K. N. S. Sirajudeen, M. S. M. Salleh, and S. Gurtu, “Glibenclamide or metformin combined with honey improves glycemic control in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 244–252, 2011.
- P. Bansal, P. Paul, J. Mudgal et al., “Antidiabetic, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of the flavonoid rich fraction of Pilea microphylla (L.) in high fat diet/streptozotocin-induced diabetes in mice,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 651–658, 2012.
- P. Matafome, T. Louro, L. Rodrigues et al., “Metformin and atorvastatin combination further protect the liver in type 2 diabetes with hyperlipidaemia,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2011.
- F. Hu, X. Li, L. Zhao, S. Feng, and C. Wang, “Antidiabetic properties of purified polysaccharide from Hedysarum polybotrys,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 64–72, 2010.
- G. Da Silva Xavier, I. Leclerc, A. Varadi, T. Tsuboi, S. K. Moule, and G. A. Rutter, “Role for AMP-activated protein kinase in glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and preproinsulin gene expression,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 371, no. 3, pp. 761–774, 2003.
- S. Zhang and K.-H. Kim, “Glucose activation of acetyl-CoA carboxylase in association with insulin secretion in a pancreatic β-cell line,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 1995.
- P. S. Haddad, A. Benhaddou-Andaloussi, L. Martineau et al., “The in vivo antidiabetic activity of Nigella sativa is mediated through activation of the AMPK pathway and increased muscle Glut4 content,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 538671, 2011.
- K. W. Ong, A. Hsu, L. Song, D. Huang, and B. K. H. Tan, “Polyphenols-rich Vernonia amygdalina shows anti-diabetic effects in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 598–607, 2011.
- G. B. Behera, A. N. Kurnool, M. Baidya, B. S. Kumar, and S. Bilal, “Anti-hyperglyceamic, anti-hyperlipidemic and antioxidant activity of the stem of Glinus Oppositifolius (L.) AUG. DC,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1080–1090, 2011.
- X.-K. Zheng, Y.-J. Li, L. Zhang, W.-S. Feng, and X. Zhang, “Antihyperglycemic activity of Selaginella tamariscina (Beauv.) Spring,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 531–537, 2011.
- C. Metais, F. Forcheron, P. Abdallah et al., “Adiponectin receptors: expression in Zucker diabetic rats and effects of fenofibrate and metformin,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 946–953, 2008.
- A. A. Alhaider, H. M. Korashy, M. M. Sayed-Ahmed, M. Mobark, H. Kfoury, and M. A. Mansour, “Metformin attenuates streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy in rats through modulation of oxidative stress genes expression,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 192, no. 3, pp. 233–242, 2011.
- W. Holland, T. Morrison, Y. Chang, N. Wiernsperger, and B. J. Stith, “Metformin (Glucophage) inhibits tyrosine phosphatase activity to stimulate the insulin receptor tyrosine kinase,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 2081–2091, 2004.
- S. Kannappan and C. V. Anuradha, “Insulin sensitizing actions of fenugreek seed polyphenols, quercetin & metformin in a rat model,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 401–408, 2009.
- S. Roy, S. K. Dontamalla, A. K. Mondru, S. Sannigrahi, and P. R. Veerareddy, “Downregulation of apoptosis and modulation of TGF-β1 by sodium selenate prevents streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat renal impairment,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 2011.
- A. Aydemir-Koksoy, A. Bilginoglu, M. Sariahmetoglu, R. Schulz, and B. Turan, “Antioxidant treatment protects diabetic rats from cardiac dysfunction by preserving contractile protein targets of oxidative stress,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 827–833, 2010.
- A. Bloch-Damti and N. Bashan, “Proposed mechanisms for the induction of insulin resistance by oxidative stress,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 11-12, pp. 1553–1567, 2005.
- A. S. Mueller, J. Pallauf, and J. Rafael, “The chemical form of selenium affects insulinomimetic properties of the trace element: investigations in type II diabetic dbdb mice,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 637–647, 2003.
- Y. Iizuka, Y. Ueda, Y. Yagi, and E. Sakurai, “Significant improvement of insulin resistance of GK rats by treatment with sodium selenate,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 138, no. 1–3, pp. 265–271, 2010.
- U. Bayraktutan, “Free radicals, diabetes and endothelial dysfunction,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 224–238, 2002.
- E. Bakopanos and J. E. Silva, “Thiazolidinediones inhibit the expression of β3-adrenergic receptors at a transcriptional level,” Diabetes, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2108–2115, 2000.
- D. Szalkowski, S. White-Carrington, J. Berger, and B. Zhang, “Antidiabetic thiazolidinediones block the inhibitory effect of tumor necrosis factor-α on differentiation, insulin-stimulated glucose uptake, and gene expression in 3T3-L1 cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 1474–1481, 1995.
- U. Kintscher and T. Unger, “Vascular protection in diabetes: a pharmacological view of angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockers,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. S26–S32, 2005.
- R. Brigelius-Flohé, “Tissue-specific functions of individual glutathione peroxidases,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 9-10, pp. 951–965, 1999.
- A. S. Müller, E. Most, and J. Pallauf, “Effects of a supranutritional dose of selenate compared with selenite on insulin sensitivity in type II diabetic dbdb mice,” Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, vol. 89, no. 3–6, pp. 94–104, 2005.