- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 231515, 13 pages
Association of the KLF14 rs4731702 SNP and Serum Lipid Levels in the Guangxi Mulao and Han Populations
1Department of Cardiology, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
2Clinical Laboratory of the Affiliated Cancer Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
3Department of Pathophysiology, School of Premedical Sciences, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 17 August 2013; Accepted 26 August 2013
Academic Editor: Zhirong Sun
Copyright © 2013 Ping Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Lozano, M. Naghavi, K. Foreman, et al., “Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2010,” The Lancet, vol. 380, no. 9859, pp. 2095–2128, 2012.
- K. G. M. M. Alberti, R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy et al., “Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; national heart, lung, and blood institute; American heart association; world heart federation; international atherosclerosis society; and international association for the study of obesity,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 16, pp. 1640–1645, 2009.
- R. Clarke, J. R. Emberson, S. Parish, et al., “Cholesterol fractions and apolipoproteins as risk factors for heart disease mortality in older men,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 13, pp. 1373–1378, 2007.
- K. Kuulasmaa, H. Tunstall-Pedoe, A. Dobson et al., “Estimation of contribution of changes in classic risk factors to trends in coronary-event rates across the WHO MONICA project populations,” The Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9205, pp. 675–687, 2000.
- M. R. Law, N. J. Wald, and A. R. Rudnicka, “Quantifying effect of statins on low density lipoprotein cholesterol, ischaemic heart disease, and stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 326, no. 7404, pp. 1423–1427, 2003.
- R. Jackson, C. M. M. Lawes, D. A. Bennett, R. J. Milne, and A. Rodgers, “Treatment with drugs to lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol based on an individual's absolute cardiovascular risk,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9457, pp. 434–441, 2005.
- S. Kathiresan, C. J. Willer, G. M. Peloso, et al., “Common variants at 30 loci contribute to polygenic dyslipidemia,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 56–65, 2009.
- Y. Ruixing, F. Qiming, Y. Dezhai et al., “Comparison of demography, diet, lifestyle, and serum lipid levels between the Guangxi Bai Ku Yao and Han populations,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2673–2681, 2007.
- Y. Ruixing, C. Yuming, P. Shangling et al., “Effects of demographic, dietary and other lifestyle factors on the prevalence of hyperlipidemia in Guangxi Hei Yi Zhuang and Han populations,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 977–984, 2006.
- L. Perusse, T. Rice, J. P. Despres et al., “Familial resemblance of plasma lipids, lipoproteins and postheparin lipoprotein and hepatic lipases in the HERITAGE Family study,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3263–3269, 1997.
- D. A. Heller, U. de Faire, N. L. Pedersen, G. Dahlen, and G. E. McClearn, “Genetic and environmental influences on serum lipid levels in twins,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 16, pp. 1150–1156, 1993.
- L. Dumitrescu, C. L. Carty, K. Taylor, et al., “Genetic determinants of lipid traits in diverse populations from the population architecture using genomics and epidemiology (PAGE) study,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 7, no. 6, Article ID e1002138, 2011.
- T. M. Teslovich, K. Musunuru, A. V. Smith, et al., “Biological, clinical and population relevance of 95 loci for blood lipids,” Nature, vol. 466, no. 7307, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- D. I. Chasman, G. Paré, S. Mora et al., “Forty-three loci associated with plasma lipoprotein size, concentration, and cholesterol content in genome-wide analysis,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 5, no. 11, Article ID e1000730, 2009.
- P. Jeemon, K. Pettigrew, C. Sainsbury, D. Prabhakaran, and S. Padmanabhan, “Implications of discoveries from genome-wide association studies in current cardiovascular practice,” The World Journal of Cardiology, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 230–247, 2011.
- T. Ohshige, M. Iwata, S. Omori et al., “Association of new loci identified in European genome-wide association studies with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in the Japanese,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e26911, 2011.
- B. F. Voight, L. J. Scott, V. Steinthorsdottir, et al., “Twelve type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci identified through large-scale association analysis,” Nature Genetics, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 579–589, 2010.
- S. D. Rees, M. Z. I. Hydrie, A. S. Shera et al., “Replication of 13 genome-wide association (GWA)-validated risk variants for type 2 diabetes in Pakistani populations,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1368–1374, 2011.
- L. Parker-Katiraee, A. R. Carson, T. Yamada et al., “Identification of the imprinted KLF14 transcription factor undergoing human-specific accelerated evolution,” PLoS genetics, vol. 3, no. 5, article e65, 2007.
- D. T. Dang, J. Pevsner, and V. W. Yang, “The biology of the mammalian Krüppel-like family of transcription factors,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 32, no. 11-12, pp. 1103–1121, 2000.
- R. Pearson, J. Fleetwood, S. Eaton, M. Crossley, and S. Bao, “Krüppel-like transcription factors: a functional family,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1996–2001, 2008.
- J. van Vliet, L. A. Crofts, K. G. R. Quinlan, R. Czolij, A. C. Perkins, and M. Crossley, “Human KLF17 is a new member of the Sp/KLF family of transcription factors,” Genomics, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 474–482, 2006.
- C. W. Brey, M. P. Nelder, T. Hailemariam, R. Gaugler, and S. Hashmi, “Krüppel-like family of transcription factors: an emerging new frontier in fat biology,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 622–636, 2009.
- B. B. McConnell and V. W. Yang, “Mammalian Krüppel-like factors in health and diseases,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1337–1381, 2010.
- K. S. Small, Å. K. Hedman, E. Grundberg et al., “Identification of an imprinted master trans regulator at the KLF14 locus related to multiple metabolic phenotypes,” Nature Genetics, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 561–564, 2011.
- X. Chen, S. Li, Y. Yang, et al., “Genome-wide association study validation identifies novel loci for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1508–1514, 2012.
- L. Xu, Q.-Y. Deng, S.-F. Li, L.-N. Zhou, J.-C. Gong, and B.-Y. Wei, “Genetic analysis of Mulao nationality using 15 short tandem repeats,” Chinese Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 96–100, 2008.
- Q. Li, R.-X. Yin, T.-T. Yan et al., “Association of the GALNT2 gene polymorphisms and several environmental factors with serum lipid levels in the Mulao and Han populations,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 160, 2011.
- T.-T. Yan, R.-X. Yin, Q. Li et al., “Sex-specific association of rs16996148 SNP in the NCAN/CILP2/PBX4 and serum lipid levels in the Mulao and Han populations,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 248, 2011.
- S. Irving, “An epidemiological study of cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary disease risk factors in four populations in the People's Republic of China: baseline report from the P.R.C.-U.S.A. collaborative study,” Circulation, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 1083–1096, 1992.
- L. Aung, R.-X. Yin, D.-F. Wu et al., “Association of the TRIB1 tribbles homolog 1 gene rs17321515 A>G polymorphism and serum lipid levels in the Mulao and Han populations,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 230, 2011.
- D.-F. Wu, R.-X. Yin, L. H. H. Aung et al., “Sex-specific association of ACAT-1 rs1044925 SNP and serum lipid levels in the hypercholesterolemic subjects,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 11, article 9, 2012.
- Y. Ruixing, P. Shangling, C. Hong et al., “Diet, alcohol consumption, and serum lipid levels of the middle-aged and elderly in the Guangxi Bai Ku Yao and Han populations,” Alcohol, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 219–229, 2008.
- B.-F. Zhou, “Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference for risk factors of certain related diseases in Chinese adults—study on optimal cut-off points of body mass index and waist circumference in Chinese adults,” Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 83–96, 2002.
- D. F. Wu, R. X. Yin, T. T. Yan, et al., “The SCARB1 rs5888 SNP and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Mulao and Han populations,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 715–724, 2012.
- A. Kong, V. Steinthorsdottir, G. Masson, et al., “Parental origin of sequence variants associated with complex diseases,” Nature, vol. 462, no. 7275, pp. 868–874, 2009.
- J. Zhang, R. Bakheet, R. S. Parhar et al., “Regulation of fat storage and reproduction by Krüppel-like transcription factor KLF3 and fat-associated genes in Caenorhabditis elegans,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 411, no. 3, pp. 537–553, 2011.
- M. R. Garcia-Palmieri, J. Tillotson, E. Cordero et al., “Nutrient intake and serum lipids in urban and rural Puerto Rican men,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2092–2100, 1977.
- O. I. Bermudez, W. Velez-Carrasco, E. J. Schaefer, and K. L. Tucker, “Dietary and plasma lipid, lipoprotein, and apolipoprotein profiles among elderly Hispanics and non-Hispanics and their association with diabetes,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1214–1221, 2002.
- R. Solá, M. Fitó, R. Estruch et al., “Effect of a traditional Mediterranean diet on apolipoproteins B, A-I, and their ratio: a randomized, controlled trial,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 174–180, 2011.
- E. A. Valente, M. E. Sheehy, J. J. Avila, J. A. Gutierres, M. J. Delmonico, and I. E. Lofgren, “The effect of the addition of resistance training to a dietary education intervention on apolipoproteins and diet quality in overweight and obese older adults,” Journal of Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 235–241, 2011.
- S. Yu-Poth, G. Zhao, T. Etherton, M. Naglak, S. Jonnalagadda, and P. M. Kris-Etherton, “Effects of the National Cholesterol Education Program's Step I and Step II dietary intervention programs on cardiovascular disease risk factors: a meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 632–646, 1999.
- L. J. Appel, F. M. Sacks, V. J. Carey et al., “Effects of protein, monounsaturated fat, and carbohydrate intake on blood pressure and serum lipids: results of the OmniHeart randomized trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 19, pp. 2455–2464, 2005.
- K. Musunuru, “Atherogenic dyslipidemia: cardiovascular risk and dietary intervention,” Lipids, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 907–914, 2010.
- R. Doll, R. Peto, E. Hall, K. Wheatley, and R. Gray, “Mortality in relation to consumption of alcohol: 13 years' observations on male British doctors,” British Medical Journal, vol. 309, no. 6959, pp. 911–918, 1994.
- C. A. Camargo Jr., C. H. Hennekens, J. M. Gaziano, R. J. Glynn, J. E. Manson, and M. J. Stampfer, “Prospective study of moderate alcohol consumption and mortality in US male physicians,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 1997.
- M. Flesch, S. Rosenkranz, E. Erdmann, and M. Böhm, “Alcohol and the risk of myocardial infarction,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 128–135, 2001.
- E. R. de Oliveira e Silva, D. Foster, M. M. Harper et al., “Alcohol consumption raises HDL cholesterol levels by increasing the transport rate of apolipoproteins A-I and A-II,” Circulation, vol. 102, no. 19, pp. 2347–2352, 2000.
- I. J. Goldberg, L. Mosca, M. R. Piano, and E. A. Fisher, “Wine and your heart: a science advisory for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee, council on epidemiology and prevention, and council on cardiovascular nursing of the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 472–475, 2001.
- M. J. Stampfer, R. M. Krauss, J. Ma et al., “A prospective study of triglyceride level, low-density lipoprotein particle diameter, and risk of myocardial infarction,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 11, pp. 882–888, 1996.
- A. Onat, G. Hergenc, D. Dursunoglu et al., “Associations of alcohol consumption with blood pressure, lipoproteins, and subclinical inflammation among Turks,” Alcohol, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 593–601, 2008.
- E. A. Brinton, “Effects of ethanol intake on lipoproteins and atherosclerosis,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 346–351, 2010.