- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 235194, 14 pages
End-Systolic Elastance and Ventricular-Arterial Coupling Reserve Predict Cardiac Events in Patients with Negative Stress Echocardiography
1Institute of Clinical Physiology, National Research Council, Via Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
2Cardiology Department, San Carlo Hospital, Via Potito Petrone, 85100 Potenza, Italy
3Division of Cardiology, Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Viale Principe di Napoli 12, 82100 Benevento, Italy
Received 26 April 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editor: Tong Tang
Copyright © 2013 Tonino Bombardini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Sicari, P. Nihoyannopoulos, A. Evangelista et al., “Stress echocardiography expert consensus statement: executive summary: European Association of Echocardiography (EAE) (a registered branch of the ESC),” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 278–289, 2009.
- T. Bombardini, D. Cini, G. Arpesella, and E. Picano, “WEB downloadable software for training in cardiovascular hemodynamics in the (3-D) stress echo lab,” Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 8, no. 1, article 48, 2010.
- P. D. Chantler, E. G. Lakatta, and S. S. Najjar, “Arterial-ventricular coupling: mechanistic insights into cardiovascular performance at rest and during exercise,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 1342–1351, 2008.
- A. Grosu, T. Bombardini, M. Senni, V. Duino, M. Gori, and E. Picano, “End-systolic pressure/volume relationship during dobutamine stress echo: a prognostically useful non-invasive index of left ventricular contractility,” European Heart Journal, vol. 26, no. 22, pp. 2404–2412, 2005.
- T. Bombardini, M. J. Correia, C. Cicerone, E. Agricola, A. Ripoli, and E. Picano, “Force-frequency relationship in the echocardiography laboratory: a noninvasive assessment of Bowditch treppe?” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 646–655, 2003.
- E. Agricola, T. Bombardini, M. Oppizzi et al., “Usefulness of latent left ventricular dysfunction assessed by Bowditch Treppe to predict stress-induced pulmonary hypertension in minimally symptomatic severe mitral regurgitation secondary to mitral valve prolapse,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 414–417, 2005.
- P. Otasević, Z. B. Popović, J. D. Vasiljević, R. Vlahović, L. Pratali, A. Vlahovic, et al., “Relation of myocardial histomorphometric features and left ventricular contractile reserve assessed by high-dose dobutamine stress echocardiography in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 7, pp. 49–56, 2005.
- T. Bombardini, M. Galderisi, E. Agricola, V. Coppola, G. Mottola, and E. Picano, “Negative stress echo: further prognostic stratification with assessment of pressure-volume relation,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 258–267, 2008.
- R. M. Lang, M. Bierig, R. B. Devereux et al., “Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's guidelines and standards committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1440–1463, 2005.
- E. Picano, W. Mathias Jr., A. Pingitore, R. Bigi, and M. Previtali, “Safety and tolerability of dobutamine-atropine stress echocardiography: a prospective, multicentre study,” the Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8931, pp. 1190–1192, 1994.
- N. B. Schiller, P. M. Shah, M. Crawford et al., “Recommendations for quantitation of the left ventricle by two-dimensional echocardiography. American Society of Echocardiography Committee on Standards, Subcommittee on Quantitation of Two-Dimensional Echocardiograms,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 358–367, 1989.
- R. P. Kelly, C.-T. Ting, T.-M. Yang et al., “Effective arterial elastance as index of arterial vascular load in humans,” Circulation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 513–521, 1992.
- K. Sunagawa, W. L. Maughan, D. Burkhoff, and K. Sagawa, “Left ventricular interaction with arterial load studied in isolated canine ventricle,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. H773–H780, 1983.
- G. J. Dehmer, B. G. Firth, S. E. Lewis, J. T. Willerson, and L. D. Hillis, “Direct measurement of cardiac output by gated equilibrium blood pool scintigraphy: validation of scintigraphic volume measurements by a nongeometric technique,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1061–1067, 1981.
- C.-H. Chen, B. Fetics, E. Nevo et al., “Noninvasive single-beat determination of left ventricular end-systolic elastance in humans,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 2028–2034, 2001.
- A. Cohen-Solal, B. Caviezel, T. Laperche, and R. Gourgon, “Effects of aging on left ventricular-arterial coupling in man: assessment by means of arterial effective and left ventricular elastances,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1996.
- P. S. Saba, M. J. Roman, A. Ganau et al., “Relationship of effective arterial elastance to demographic and arterial characteristics in normotensive and hypertensive adults,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 971–977, 1995.
- S. S. Najjar, S. P. Schulman, G. Gerstenblith et al., “Age and gender affect ventricular-vascular coupling during aerobic exercise,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 611–617, 2004.
- M. M. Redfield, S. J. Jacobsen, B. A. Borlaug, R. J. Rodeheffer, and D. A. Kass, “Age- and gender-related ventricular-vascular stiffening: a community-based study,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 15, pp. 2254–2262, 2005.
- D. Burkhoff and K. Sagawa, “Ventricular efficiency predicted by an analytical model,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 250, no. 6, pp. R1021–R1027, 1986.
- M. R. Starling, “Left ventricular-arterial coupling relations in the normal human heart,” The American Heart Journal, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1659–1666, 1993.
- A. Cohen-Solal, B. Caviezel, D. Himbert, and R. Gourgon, “Left ventricular-arterial coupling in systemic hypertension: analysis by means of arterial effective and left ventricular elastances,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 591–600, 1994.
- P. D. Chantler, V. Melenovsky, S. P. Schulman et al., “The sex-specific impact of systolic hypertension and systolic blood pressure on arterial-ventricular coupling at rest and during exercise,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. H145–H153, 2008.
- P. A. Pellikka, V. L. Roger, R. B. McCully et al., “Normal stroke volume and cardiac output response during dobutamine stress echocardiography in subjects without left ventricular wall motion abnormalities,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 881–886, 1995.
- L. Cortigiani, T. Bombardini, A. Corbisiero, A. Mazzoni, F. Bovenzi, and E. Picano, “The additive prognostic value of end-systolic pressure-volume relation in patients with diabetes mellitus having negative dobutamine stress echocardiography by wall motion criteria,” Heart, vol. 95, no. 17, pp. 1429–1435, 2009.
- T. Bombardini, E. Nevola, A. Giorgetti, P. Landi, E. Picano, and D. Neglia, “Prognostic value of left-ventricular and peripheral vascular performance in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy,” Journal of Nuclear Cardiology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 353–362, 2008.
- Q. Ciampi, L. Pratali, R. Citro, B. Villari, E. Picano, and R. Sicari, “Clinical and prognostic role of pressure-volume relationship in the identification of responders to cardiac resynchronization therapy,” The American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 906–914, 2010.
- C. A. Vigliano, P. M. Cabeza Meckert, M. Diez et al., “Cardiomyocyte hypertrophy, oncosis, and autophagic vacuolization predict mortality in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy with advanced heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 57, no. 14, pp. 1523–1531, 2011.
- S. D. Prabhu, “Altered left ventricular-arterial coupling precedes pump dysfunction in early heart failure,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 170–177, 2007.
- I. Ahmet, M. Krawczyk, P. Heller, C. Moon, E. G. Lakatta, and M. I. Talan, “Beneficial effects of chronic pharmacological manipulation of β-adrenoreceptor subtype signaling in rodent dilated ischemic cardiomyopathy,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 1083–1090, 2004.
- F. Antonini-Canterin, R. Enache, B. A. Popescu et al., “Prognostic value of ventricular-arterial coupling and B-type natriuretic peptide in patients after myocardial infarction: a five-year follow-up study,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1239–1245, 2009.
- W. C. Little and C. P. Cheng, “Effect of exercise on left ventricular-arterial coupling assessed in the pressure-volume plane,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 264, no. 5, pp. H1629–H1633, 1993.
- J. E. Sharman, R. Lim, A. M. Qasem et al., “Validation of a generalized transfer function to noninvasively derive central blood pressure during exercise,” Hypertension, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1203–1208, 2006.
- T. Bombardini, S. Gherardi, P. Marraccini, M. C. Schlueter, R. Sicari, and E. Picano, “The incremental diagnostic value of coronary flow reserve and left ventricular elastance during high-dose dipyridamole stress echocardiography in patients with normal wall motion at rest,” International Journal of Cardiology, 2013.
- L. Pratali, S. Molinaro, A. I. Corciu, E. M. Pasanisi, M. Scalese, and R. Sicari, “Feasibility of real-time three-dimensional stress echocardiography: pharmacological and semi-supine exercise,” Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 8, no. 1, article 10, 2010.