- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 237806, 7 pages
Improved Properties of Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) Produced by Comamonas sp. EB172 Utilizing Volatile Fatty Acids by Regulating the Nitrogen Source
1Department of Bioprocess Technology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Process and Food Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Biological Functions and Engineering, Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 2-4 Hibikino,Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 808-0196, Japan
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 3 August 2013; Accepted 8 August 2013
Academic Editor: José Luis Campos
Copyright © 2013 Mohd Rafein Zakaria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Choi and S. Y. Lee, “Factors affecting the economics of polyhydroxyalkanoate production by bacterial fermentation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 1999.
- S. Khanna and A. K. Srivastava, “Recent advances in microbial polyhydroxyalkanoates,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 607–619, 2005.
- M. A. Hassan, Y. Shirai, N. Kusubayashi, M. I. A. Karim, K. Nakanishi, and K. Hashimoto, “Effect of organic acid profiles during anaerobic treatment of palm oil mill effluent on the production of polyhydroxyalkanoates by Rhodobacter sphaeroides,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 1996.
- S. Omar, A. Rayes, A. Eqaab, I. Voß, and A. Steinbüchel, “Optimization of cell growth and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) accumulation on date syrup by a Bacillus megaterium strain,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 1119–1123, 2001.
- P. K. Anil Kumar, T. R. Shamala, L. Kshama et al., “Bacterial synthesis of poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate) using carbohydrate-rich mahua (Madhuca sp.) flowers,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 204–209, 2007.
- I. Ntaikou, C. Kourmentza, E. C. Koutrouli et al., “Exploitation of olive oil mill wastewater for combined biohydrogen and biopolymers production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 15, pp. 3724–3730, 2009.
- S. Bengtsson, A. Werker, M. Christensson, and T. Welander, “Production of polyhydroxyalkanoates by activated sludge treating a paper mill wastewater,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 509–516, 2008.
- M. R. Zakaria, S. Abd-Aziz, H. Ariffin, N. A. Rahman, L. Y. Phang, and M. A. Hassan, “Comamonas sp. EB172 isolated from digester treating palm oil mill effluent as potential polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) producer,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 22, pp. 4118–4121, 2008.
- M. R. Zakaria, M. Tabatabaei, F. M. Ghazali, S. Abd-Aziz, Y. Shirai, and M. A. Hassan, “Polyhydroxyalkanoate production from anaerobically treated palm oil mill effluent by new bacterial strain Comamonas sp. EB172,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 767–774, 2010.
- M. R. Zakaria, H. Ariffin, N. A. Mohd Johar et al., “Biosynthesis and characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) copolymer from wild-type Comamonas sp. EB172,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1382–1386, 2010.
- C.-Y. Loo and K. Sudesh, “Biosynthesis and native granule characteristics of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) in Delftia acidovorans,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 466–471, 2007.
- W.-H. Lee, M. N. M. Azizan, and K. Sudesh, “Effects of culture conditions on the composition of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-4-hydroxybutyrate) synthesized by Comamonas acidovorans,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 2004.
- N. S. Thakor, M. A. Patel, U. B. Trivedi, and K. C. Patel, “Production of poly(β-hydroxybutyrate) by Comamonas testosteroni during growth on naphthalene,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 185–189, 2003.
- J. C. Quagliano and S. S. Miyazaki, “Effect of aeration and carbon/nitrogen ratio on the molecular mass of the biodegradable polymer poly-β-hydroxybutyrate obtained from Azotobacter chroococcum 6B,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 662–664, 1997.
- J. C. Quagliano, F. Amarilla, E. G. Fernandes, D. Mata, and S. S. Miyazaki, “Effect of simple and complex carbon sources, low temperature culture and complex carbon feeding policies on poly-3-hydroxybutyric acid (PHB) content and molecular weight () from Azotobacter chroococcum 6B,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2001.
- S. J. Sim, K. D. Snell, S. A. Hogan, J. Stubbe, C. Rha, and A. J. Sinskey, “PHA synthase activity controls the molecular weight and polydispersity of polyhydroxybutyrate in vivo,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 1997.
- D. Dennis, M. McCoy, A. Stangl, H. E. Valentin, and Z. Wu, “Formation of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyhexanoate) by PHA synthase from Ralstonia eutropha,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 64, no. 2-3, pp. 177–186, 1998.
- T. Mumtaz, S. Abd-Aziz, N. A. Rahman et al., “Visualization of core-shell PHBV granules of wild type Comamonas sp. EB172 in vivo under transmission electron microscope,” International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 228–238, 2011.
- G. Braunegg, B. Sonnleitner, and R. M. Lafferty, “A rapid gas chromatographic method for the determination of poly β hydroxybutyric acid in microbial biomass,” European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 1978.
- L. Gumaelius, G. Magnusson, B. Pettersson, and G. Dalhammar, “Comamonas denitrificans sp. nov., an efficient denitrifying bacterium isolated from activated sludge,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 999–1006, 2001.
- C.-C. Young, J.-H. Chou, A. B. Arun et al., “Comamonas composti sp. nov., isolated from food waste compost,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 251–256, 2008.
- B. Borah, P. S. Thakur, and J. N. Nigam, “The influence of environmental conditions on the accumulation of poly-β-hydroxybutyrate in Bacillus mycoides RLJ B-017,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 92, pp. 776–783, 2002.
- G. Kobayashi, K. Tanaka, H. Itoh, T. Tsuge, K. Sonomoto, and A. Ishizaki, “Fermentative production of P(3HB-co-3HV) from propionic acid by Alcaligenes eutrophus in fed-batch culture with pH-stat continuous substrate feeding method,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1067–1069, 2000.
- F. Wang and S. Y. Lee, “Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) production with high productivity and high polymer content by a fed-batch culture of Alcaligenes latus under nitrogen limitation,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 3703–3706, 1997.
- P. Alexy, B. Košíková, and G. Podstránska, “The effect of blending lignin with polyethylene and polypropylene on physical properties,” Polymer, vol. 41, no. 13, pp. 4901–4908, 2000.