- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 239838, 9 pages
Synthesis, Characterization, and Acute Oral Toxicity Evaluation of pH-Sensitive Hydrogel Based on MPEG, Poly(ε-caprolactone), and Itaconic Acid
State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy and Cancer Center, West China Hospital, West China Medical School, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Received 21 August 2013; Revised 17 October 2013; Accepted 26 October 2013
Academic Editor: Mehrdad Hamidi
Copyright © 2013 Liwei Tan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. E. Bromberg and E. S. Ron, “Temperature-responsive gels and thermogelling polymer matrices for protein and peptide delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 197–221, 1998.
- J. Zhang, L.-Y. Chu, Y.-K. Li, and Y. M. Lee, “Dual thermo- and pH-sensitive poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-acrylic acid) hydrogels with rapid response behaviors,” Polymer, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1718–1728, 2007.
- X. Qu, A. Wirsén, and A.-C. Albertsson, “Novel pH-sensitive chitosan hydrogels: swelling behavior and states of water,” Polymer, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 4589–4598, 2000.
- P. Y. Yeh, P. Kopečková, and J. Kopeček, “Biodegradable and pH-sensitive hydrogels: synthesis by crosslinking of N, N-dimethylacrylamide copolymer precursors,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1627–1637, 2003.
- T. Wang, M. Turhan, and S. Gunasekaran, “Selected properties of pH-sensitive, biodegradable chitosan-poly(vinyl alcohol) hydrogel,” Polymer International, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 911–918, 2004.
- K. Zhang, Y. Luo, and Z. Li, “Synthesis and characterization of a pH- and ionic strength-responsive hydrogel,” Soft Materials, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 183–195, 2007.
- J. I. Lee and H. S. Yoo, “Biodegradable microspheres containing poly(ε-caprolactone)-Pluronic block copolymers for temperature-responsive release of proteins,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 2008.
- M. J. Mc Gann, C. L. Higginbotham, L. M. Geever, and M. J. D. Nugent, “The synthesis of novel pH-sensitive poly(vinyl alcohol) composite hydrogels using a freeze/thaw process for biomedical applications,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 372, no. 1-2, pp. 154–161, 2009.
- H. He, J. Guan, and J. L. Lee, “An oral delivery device based on self-folding hydrogels,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 339–346, 2006.
- X. Wei, C. Gong, M. Gou et al., “Biodegradable poly(ε-caprolactone)-poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers as drug delivery system,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 381, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2009.
- M. Hamidi, A. Azadi, and P. Rafiei, “Hydrogel nanoparticles in drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 15, pp. 1638–1649, 2008.
- B. Kim and N. A. Peppas, “In vitro release behavior and stability of insulin in complexation hydrogels as oral drug delivery carriers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 266, no. 1-2, pp. 29–37, 2003.
- Y. Qiu and K. Park, “Environment-sensitive hydrogels for drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 321–339, 2001.
- M. K. Nguyen, C. T. Huynh, and D. S. Lee, “pH-sensitive and bioadhesive poly(β-amino ester)-poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(β-amino ester) triblock copolymer hydrogels with potential for drug delivery in oral mucosal surfaces,” Polymer, vol. 50, no. 22, pp. 5205–5210, 2009.
- N. M. Ranjha, J. Mudassir, and N. Akhtar, “Methyl methacrylate-co-itaconic acid (MMA-co-IA) hydrogels for controlled drug delivery,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2008.
- P. Gupta, K. Vermani, and S. Garg, “Hydrogels: from controlled release to pH-responsive drug delivery,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 569–579, 2002.
- W. Wu, J. Liu, S. Cao et al., “Drug release behaviors of a pH sensitive semi-interpenetrating polymer network hydrogel composed of poly(vinyl alcohol) and star poly[2-(dimethylamino) ethyl methacrylate],” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 416, no. 1, pp. 104–109, 2011.
- D. Velasco, C. B. Danoux, J. A. Redondo et al., “PH-sensitive polymer hydrogels derived from morpholine to prevent the crystallization of ibuprofen,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 140–145, 2011.
- X. Yu and M. V. Pishko, “Release of paclitaxel from pH sensitive and biodegradable dextran based hydrogels,” Soft Matter, vol. 7, no. 19, pp. 8898–8904, 2011.
- Z. Zhang, L. Chen, M. Deng, Y. Bai, X. Chen, and X. Jing, “Biodegradable thermo- and pH-responsive hydrogels for oral drug delivery,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 2941–2951, 2011.
- R. Gong, C. Li, S. Zhu, Y. Zhang, Y. Du, and J. Jiang, “A novel pH-sensitive hydrogel based on dual crosslinked alginate/N-α-glutaric acid chitosan for oral delivery of protein,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 869–874, 2011.
- S. Freiberg and X. X. Zhu, “Polymer microspheres for controlled drug release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 282, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 2004.
- F. Iemma, U. G. Spizzirri, F. Puoci et al., “pH-Sensitive hydrogels based on bovine serum albumin for oral drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 312, no. 1-2, pp. 151–157, 2006.
- J.-Y. Yoon, H.-Y. Park, J.-H. Kim, and W.-S. Kim, “Adsorption of BSA on highly carboxylated microspheres—quantitative effects of surface functional groups and interaction forces,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 613–620, 1996.
- R. Perret and A. Skoulios, “Synthese et caracterisation de copoly-mers sequences polyoxyethylene/poly(ε-caprolactone),” Die Makromolekulare Chemie, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 143–156, 1972.
- S. Y. Kim, Y. M. Lee, D. J. Baik, and J. S. Kang, “Toxic characteristics of methoxy poly(ethylene glycol)/poly(ε-caprolactone) nanospheres; In vitro and in vivo studies in the normal mice,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2003.
- Y. Hu, L. Zhang, Y. Cao, H. Ge, X. Jiang, and C. Yang, “Degradation behavior of poly(ε-caprolactone)-b-poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(ε-caprolactone) micelles in aqueous solution,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1756–1762, 2004.
- K. Wang, S. Z. Fu, Y. C. Gu et al., “Synthesis and characterization of biodegradable pH-sensitive hydrogels based on poly(ε-caprolactone), methacrylic acid, and poly(ethylene glycol),” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 730–737, 2009.
- J. Song, Y. C. Gu, X. Xu et al., “Synthesis and characterization of pH-sensitive hydrogel based on methoxyl poly(ethylene glycol), poly(ε-caprolactone) and itaconic acid for delivery of doxorubicin,” Advanced Science Letters, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 130–136, 2012.
- C. Shen, S. Guo, and C. Lu, “Degradation behaviors of monomethoxy poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(ε-caprolactone) nanoparticles in aqueous solution,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 66–72, 2008.
- X. Wang, B. Kan, Y. Wang et al., “Pharmaceutical nanotechnology: safety evaluation of amphiphilic three-armed star-shaped copolymer micelles,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 2830–2838, 2010.
- X. Chen, Z. Qian, M. Gou et al., “Acute oral toxicity evaluation of biodegradable and pH-sensitive hydrogel based on polycaprolactone, poly(ethylene glycol) and methylacrylic acid (MAA),” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 589–597, 2008.