- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 247152, 8 pages
18F-FDG PET in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma
1Department of Neurological Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750-1 Miki-cho, Kita-gun, Kagawa 761-0793, Japan
2Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750-1 Miki-cho, Kita-gun, Kagawa 761-0793, Japan
Received 13 March 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Eng-Yen Huang
Copyright © 2013 Nobuyuki Kawai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Olson, C. A. Janney, R. D. Rao et al., “The continuing increase in the incidence of primary central nervous system non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1504–1510, 2002.
- A. Behin, K. Hoang-Xuan, A. F. Carpentier, and J.-Y. Delattre, “Primary brain tumours in adults,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9354, pp. 323–331, 2003.
- D. Ricard, A. Idbaih, F. Ducray, M. Lahutte, K. Hoang-Xuan, and J.-Y. Delattre, “Primary brain tumours in adults,” The Lancet, vol. 379, pp. 1984–1996, 2012.
- N. S. Kadan-Lottick, M. C. Skluzacek, and J. G. Gurney, “Decreasing incidence rates of primary central nervous system lymphoma,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 193–202, 2002.
- P. C. O'Brien, D. E. Roos, G. Pratt et al., “Combined-modality therapy for primary central nervous system lymphoma: long-term data from a Phase II multicenter study (Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group),” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 408–413, 2006.
- M. S. del Rio, A. Rousseau, C. Soussain, D. Ricard, and K. Hoang-Xuan, “Primary CNS lymphoma in immunocompetent patients,” Oncologist, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 526–539, 2009.
- L. E. Abrey, L. Ben-Porat, K. S. Panageas et al., “Primary central nervous system lymphoma: the memorial sloan-kettering cancer center prognostic model,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 36, pp. 5711–5715, 2006.
- B. Bataille, V. Delwail, E. Menet et al., “Primary intracerebral malignant lymphoma: report of 248 cases,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 2000.
- W. Küker, T. Nägele, A. Korfel et al., “Primary central nervous system lymphomas (PCNSL): MRI features at presentation in 100 patients,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 169–177, 2005.
- I. S. Haldorsen, J. Krakenes, B. K. Krossnes, O. Mella, and A. Espeland, “CT and MR imaging features of primary central nervous system lymphoma in Norway, 1989–2003,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 744–751, 2009.
- R. J. Boado, K. L. Black, and W. M. Pardridge, “Gene expression of GLUT3 and GLUT1 glucose transporters in human brain tumors,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 1994.
- S. N. Reske, K. G. Grillenberger, G. Glatting et al., “Overexpression of glucose transporter 1 and increased FDG uptake in pancreatic carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1344–4348, 1997.
- L.-C. Ong, Y. Jin, I.-C. Song, S. Yu, K. Zhang, and P. K. H. Chow, “2-[18F]-2-deoxy-D-Glucose (FDG) uptake in human tumor cells is related to the expression of GLUT-1 and hexokinase II,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1145–1153, 2008.
- B. Paudyal, N. Oriuchi, P. Paudyal et al., “Clinicopathological presentation of varying 18F-FDG uptake and expression of glucose transporter 1 and hexokinase II in cases of hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocellular carcinoma,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 83–86, 2008.
- N. Kosaka, T. Tsuchida, H. Uematsu, H. Kimura, H. Okazawa, and H. Itoh, “18F-FDG PET of common enhancing malignant brain tumors,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 190, no. 6, pp. W365–W369, 2008.
- N. Kawai, H.-N. Zhen, K. Miyake, Y. Yamamaoto, Y. Nishiyama, and T. Tamiya, “Prognostic value of pretreatment 18F-FDG PET in patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma: SUV-based assessment,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 225–232, 2010.
- Y. Kawase, Y. Yamamoto, R. Kameyama, N. Kawai, N. Kudomi, and Y. Nishiyama, “Comparison of 11C-methionine PET and 18F-FDG PET in patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1284–1289, 2011.
- K. Makino, T. Hirai, H. Nakamura et al., “Does adding FDG-PET to MRI improve the differentiation between primary cerebral lymphoma and glioblastoma? Observer performance study,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 432–438, 2011.
- S. S. Rosenfeld, J. M. Hoffman, R. E. Coleman, M. J. Glantz, M. W. Hanson, and S. C. Schold, “Studies of primary central nervous system lymphoma with fluorine-18- fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 532–536, 1992.
- H. Palmedo, H. Urbach, H. Bender et al., “FDG-PET in immunocompetent patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma: correlation with MRI and clinical follow-up,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 164–168, 2006.
- J. M. Hoffman, H. A. Waskin, T. Schifter et al., “FDG-PET in differentiating lymphoma from nonmalignant central nervous system lesions in patients with AIDS,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 567–575, 1993.
- K. Villringer, H. Jager, M. Dichgans et al., “Differential diagnosis of CNS lesions in AIDS patients by FDG-PET,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 532–536, 1995.
- M. J. O'Doherty, S. F. Barrington, M. Campbell, J. Lowe, and C. S. Bradbeer, “PET scanning and the human immunodeficiency virus-positive patient,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1575–1583, 1997.
- R. Hustinx, R. J. Smith, F. Benard, A. Bhatnagar, and A. Alavi, “Can the standardized uptake value characterize primary brain tumors on FDG-PET?” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1501–1509, 1999.
- S. Dethy, S. Goldman, S. Blecic, A. Luxen, M. Levivier, and J. Hildebrand, “Carbon-11-methionine and fluorine-18-FDG PET study in brain hematoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1162–1166, 1994.
- N. Tsuyuguchi, I. Sunada, K. Ohata et al., “Evaluation of treatment effects in brain abscess with positron emission tomography: comparison of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose and carbon-11-methionine,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2003.
- C. Schiepers, P. van Hecke, R. Vandenberghe et al., “Positron emission tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and proton NMR spectroscopy of white matter in multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 8–17, 1997.
- R. Kubota, S. Yamada, K. Kubota, K. Ishiwata, N. Tamahashi, and T. Ido, “Intratumoral distribution of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose in vivo: High accumulation in macrophages and granulation tissues studied by microautoradiography,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1972–1980, 1992.
- P. N. Plowman, C. A. B. Saunders, and M. N. Maisey, “Gliomatosis cerebri: disconnection of the cortical grey matter, demonstrated on PET scan,” British Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 240–244, 1998.
- N. Kawai, S. Okubo, K. Miyake et al., “Use of PET in the diagnosis of primary CNS lymphoma in patients with atypical MR findings,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 335–343, 2010.
- Y. Z. Tang, T. C. Booth, P. Bhogal, A. Malhotra, and T. Wilhelm, “Imaging of primary central nervous system lymphoma,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 768–777, 2011.
- L. E. Abrey, T. T. Batchelor, A. J. M. Ferreri et al., “Report of an international workshop to standardize baseline evaluation and response criteria for primary CNS lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 22, pp. 5034–5043, 2005.
- B. P. O'Neill, R. P. Dinapoli, P. J. Kurtin, and T. M. Habermann, “Occult systemic non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in patients initially diagnosed as primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL): how much staging is enough?” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 1995.
- K. Jahnke, E. Thiel, P. Martus et al., “Relapse of primary central nervous system lymphoma: clinical features, outcome and prognostic factors,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 159–165, 2006.
- N. A. Mohile, L. M. Deangelis, and L. E. Abrey, “The utility of body FDG PET in staging primary central nervous system lymphoma,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 223–228, 2008.
- M. Reni, A. J. M. Ferreri, and E. Villa, “Second-line treatment for primary central nervous system lymphoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 79, no. 3-4, pp. 530–534, 1999.
- R. Yamanaka, “Management of refractory or relapsed primary central nervous system lymphoma,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 879–885, 2009.
- H. Pels, A. Juergens, I. Schirgens et al., “Early complete response during chemotherapy predicts favorable outcome in patients with primary CNS lymphoma,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 720–724, 2010.
- N. G. Mikhaeel, M. Hutchings, P. A. Fields, M. J. O'Doherty, and A. R. Timothy, “FDG-PET after two to three cycles of chemotherapy predicts progression-free and overall survival in high-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1514–1523, 2005.
- N. Kawai, Y. Nishiyama, K. Miyake, T. Tamiya, and S. Nagao, “Evaluation of tumor FDG transport and metabolism in primary central nervous system lymphoma using [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET) kinetic analysis,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 685–690, 2005.