- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 249010, 6 pages
Comparison of a Clinic-Based ELISA Test Kit with the Immunofluorescence Antibody Test for Assaying Leishmania infantum Antibodies in Dogs
Dipartimento di Scienze Veterinarie per la Salute, la Produzione Animale e la Sicurezza Alimentare, Università degli Studi di Milano, Via G. Celoria, 10-20133 Milano, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 7 August 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Nicolas Praet
Copyright © 2013 Daniela Proverbio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Gramiccia, “Recent advances in leishmaniosis in pet animals: epidemiology, diagnostics and anti-vectorial prophylaxis,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2011.
- M. Maroli, L. Rossi, R. Baldelli et al., “The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectors,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 256–264, 2008.
- A. Biglino, C. Bolla, E. Concialdi, A. Trisciuoglio, A. Romano, and E. Ferroglio, “Asymptomatic Leishmania infantum infection in an area of Northwestern Italy (Piedmont region) where such infections are traditionally nonendemic,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 131–136, 2010.
- E. Spada and D. Proverbio, “Canine leishmaniasis in non-endemic area: incidence of positivity to IFAT test in dogs moved to endemic area,” in Proceedings of the LVI National Congress SISVET, pp. 289–290, Giardini Naxos, Italy, September 2002.
- R. Gothe, I. Nolte, and W. Kraft, “Leishmaniosis of dogs in Germany: epidemiological case analysis and alternative to conventional causal therapy,” Tierarztliche Praxis, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 1997.
- Z. H. Duprey, F. J. Steurer, J. A. Rooney et al., “Canine visceral leishmaniasis, United States and Canada, 2000–2003,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 440–446, 2006.
- S. E. Shaw, D. A. Langton, and T. J. Hillman, “Canine leishmaniosis in the United Kingdom: a zoonotic disease waiting for a vector?” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 281–285, 2009.
- F. Dante-Torres, L. Solano-Gallego, G. Baneth, R. V. Marcio, M. P. Cavalcanti, and D. Otranto, “Canine leishmaniosis in the old and new words: unveiled similarities and difference,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 28, pp. 531–538, 2012.
- L. Solano-Gallego, A. Koutinas, G. Miró et al., “Directions for the diagnosis, clinical staging, treatment and prevention of canine leishmaniosis,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 165, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 2009.
- A. B. Reis, O. A. Martins-Filho, A. Teixeira-Carvalho et al., “Systemic and compartmentalized immune response in canine visceral leishmaniasis,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 128, no. 1–3, pp. 87–95, 2009.
- J. Alvar, C. Cañavate, R. Molina, J. Moreno, and J. Nieto, “Canine leishmaniasis,” Advances in Parasitology, vol. 57, pp. 1–88, 2004.
- C. Maia and L. Campino, “Methods for diagnosis of canine leishmaniasis and immune response to infection,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 274–287, 2008.
- G. Miró, L. Cardoso, M. G. Pennisi, G. Oliva, and G. Baneth, “Canine leishmaniosis—new concepts and insights on an expanding zoonosis: part two,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 371–377, 2008.
- J. Iqbal, P. R. Hira, G. Saroj et al., “Imported visceral leishmaniasis: diagnostic dilemmas and comparative analysis of three assays,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 475–479, 2002.
- R. Reithinger, R. J. Quinnell, B. Alexander, and C. R. Davies, “Rapid detection of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs: comparative study using an immunochromatographic dipstick test, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 2352–2356, 2002.
- D. Otranto, P. Paradies, M. Sasanelli et al., “Recombinant K39 dipstick immunochromatographic test: a new tool for the serodiagnosis of canine leishmaniasis,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2005.
- M. Mettler, F. Grimm, G. Capelli, H. Camp, and P. Deplazes, “Evaluation of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays, an immunofluorescent-antibody test, and two rapid tests (immunochromatographic-dipstick and gel tests) for serological diagnosis of symptomatic and asymptomatic Leishmania infections in dogs,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 5515–5519, 2005.
- R. J. Quinnell, C. Carson, R. Reithinger, L. M. Garcez, and O. Courtenay, “Evaluation of rK39 rapid diagnostic tests for canine visceral leishmaniasis: longitudinal study and meta-analysis,” PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2013.
- S. Reale, L. Maxia, F. Vitale, N. S. Glorioso, S. Caracappa, and G. Vesco, “Detection of Leishmania infantum in dogs by PCR with lymph node aspirates and blood,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 2931–2935, 1999.
- D. G. Altman, Practical Statistics for Medical Research, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1991.
- F. Mancianti and N. Meciani, “Specific serodiagnosis of canine leishmaniasis by indirect immunofluorescence, indirect hemagglutination, and counterimmunoelectrophoresis,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1409–1411, 1988.
- I. A. Gardner and M. Greiner, “Receiver-operating characteristic curves and likelihood ratios: improvements over traditional methods for the evaluation and application of veterinary clinical pathology tests,” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 8–17, 2006.
- E. Ferroglio and F. Vitale, “Diagnosis of leishmaniosis: between old doubts and new uncertainties,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 30, no. 1, supplement, pp. 35–38, 2006.
- M. R. Lappin, C. E. Greene, A. K. Prestwood, D. L. Dawe, and A. Marks, “Prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in cats in Georgia using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays for IgM, IgG, and antigens,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 33, no. 3-4, pp. 225–230, 1989.
- E. Ferroglio, E. Centaro, W. Mignone, and A. Trisciuoglio, “Evaluation of an ELISA rapid device for the serological diagnosis of Leishmania infantum infection in dog as compared with immunofluorescence assay and Western blot,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 162–166, 2007.