- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 249398, 7 pages
Myosin Isoforms and Contractile Properties of Single Fibers of Human Latissimus Dorsi Muscle
1Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 3, 35031 Padova, Italy
2Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Kazushige Goto
Copyright © 2013 Antonio Paoli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Tarnopolsky, E. Pearce, K. Smith, and B. Lach, “Suction-modified Bergström muscle biopsy technique: experience with 13,500 procedures,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 717–725, 2011.
- A. Paoli, G. Marcolin, and N. Petrone, “The effect of stance width on the electromyographical activity of eight superficial thigh muscles during back squat with different bar loads,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 246–250, 2009.
- R. Tawil and S. M. van der Maarel, “Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2006.
- R. Bottinelli and C. Reggiani, “Human skeletal muscle fibres: molecular and functional diversity,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 73, no. 2-4, pp. 195–262, 2000.
- J. W. Helge, K. Overgaard, R. Damsgaard et al., “Repeated prolonged whole-body low-intensity exercise: effects on insulin sensitivity and limb muscle adaptations,” Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 217–223, 2006.
- P. J. O'Sullivan, G. M. Gorman, O. M. Hardiman, M. J. Farrell, and P. M. Logan, “Sonographically guided percutaneous muscle biopsy in diagnosis of neuromuscular disease: a useful alternative to open surgical biopsy,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- S. D. R. Harridge, R. Bottinelli, M. Canepari et al., “Whole-muscle and single-fibre contractile properties and myosin heavy chain isoforms in humans,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 432, no. 5, pp. 913–920, 1996.
- M. J. Gibala, S. A. Interisano, M. A. Tarnopolsky et al., “Myofibrillar disruption following acute concentric and eccentric resistance exercise in strength-trained men,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 656–661, 2000.
- J. C. Chachques, P. A. Grandjean, J. J. Tommasi et al., “Dynamic cardiomyoplasty: a new approach to assist chronic myocardial failure,” Life Support Systems, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 323–327, 1987.
- A. M. Munhoz, E. Montag, K. W. Fels et al., “Outcome analysis of breast-conservation surgery and immediate latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction in patients with T1 to T2 breast cancer,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 741–752, 2005.
- D. W. Chang, A. Youssef, S. Cha, and G. P. Reece, “Autologous breast reconstruction with the extended latissimus dorsi flap,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 751–759, 2002.
- M. T. Villa and D. W. Chang, “Muscle and omental flaps for chest wall reconstruction,” Thoracic Surgery Clinics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 543–550, 2010.
- M. H. J. Becker, T. B. Wermter, B. Brenner, G. F. Walter, and A. Berger, “Comparison of clinical performance, histology and single-fiber contractility in free neurovascular muscle flaps,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 525–534, 2000.
- J. H. L. Davidse, F. H. van der Veen, C. M. H. B. Lucas, O. C. K. M. Penn, M. J. A. P. Daemen, and H. J. J. Wellens, “Structural alterations in the latissimus dorsi muscles in three patients more than 2 years after a cardiomyoplasty procedure,” European Heart Journal, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 310–318, 1998.
- D. C. Hammond, “Latissimus dorsi flap breast reconstruction,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2007.
- P. S. Gutierrez, W. O. Pires Jr., S. K. Marie, et al., “Histopathological findings in skeletal muscle used in human dynamic cardiomyoplasty,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 116–121, 2001.
- M. Kääriäinen, S. Giordano, S. Kauhanen et al., “The significance of latissimus dorsi flap innervation in delayed breast reconstruction: a prospective randomized study-magnetic resonance imaging and histologic findings,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 128, no. 6, 2011.
- M. Rifaat, A. Amin, M. Bassiouny, A. Nabawi, and S. Monib, “The extended latissimus dorsi flap option in autologous breast reconstruction: a report of 14 cases and review of the literature,” Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 24–33, 2008.
- R. Scelsi, P. Poggi, R. Lo Russo, and F. De Fabritus, “Effect of preoperative training on Latissimus Dorsi muscle for cardiomyoplasty. A morphometric study,” In Vivo, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 353–356, 1993.
- P. B. de Witte, P. van der Zwaal, W. Visch et al., “Arm ADductor activation with arm abduction in rotator cuff tear patients vs. healthy controls—design of a new measuring instrument,” Human Movement Science, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 461–471, 2012.
- R. Qaisar, G. Renaud, K. Morine, E. R. Barton, H. L. Sweeney, and L. Larsson, “Is functional hypertrophy and specific force coupled with the addition of myonuclei at the single muscle fiber level?” FASEB Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1077–1085, 2012.
- A. Paoli, Q. F. Pacelli, L. Toniolo, D. Miotti, and C. Reggiani, “Latissimus dorsi fine needle muscle biopsy: a novel and efficient approach to study proximal muscles of upper limbs,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. e257–e263, 2010.
- L. Toniolo, L. Maccatrozzo, M. Patruno et al., “Fiber types in canine muscles: myosin isoform expression and functional characterization,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 5, pp. C1915–C1926, 2007.
- R. J. Talmadge and R. R. Roy, “Electrophoretic separation of rat skeletal muscle myosin heavy-chain isoforms,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 2337–2340, 1993.
- C. B. Mantilla, R. V. Sill, B. Aravamudan, W.-Z. Zhan, and G. C. Sieck, “Developmental effects on myonuclear domain size of rat diaphragm fibers,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 787–794, 2008.
- J.-X. Liu, A.-S. Höglund, P. Karlsson et al., “Myonuclear domain size and myosin isoform expression in muscle fibres from mammals representing a 100 000-fold difference in body size,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 117–129, 2009.
- M. A. Johnson, J. Polgar, D. Weightman, and D. Appleton, “Data on the distribution of fibre types in thirty-six human muscles. An autopsy study,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 111–129, 1973.
- M. S. Kauhanen, A. M. Salmi, E. K. von Boguslawsky, I. V. Leivo, and S. L. Asko-Seljavaara, “Muscle fiber diameter and muscle type distribution following free microvascular muscle transfers: a prospective study,” Microsurgery, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 137–144, 1998.
- R. Daikoku and Y. Saito, “Differences between novice and experienced caregivers in muscle activity and perceived exertion while repositioning bedridden patients,” Journal of Physiological Anthropology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 333–339, 2008.
- D. G. Thelen, J. A. Ashton-Miller, and A. B. Schultz, “Lumbar muscle activities in rapid three-dimensional pulling tasks,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 605–613, 1996.
- C. Doria, L. Toniolo, V. Verratti et al., “Improved VO2 uptake kinetics and shift in muscle fiber type in high-altitude trekkers,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1597–1605, 2011.
- T. Pietrangelo, R. Mancinelli, L. Toniolo et al., “Effects of local vibrations on skeletal muscle trophism in elderly people: mechanical, cellular, and molecular events,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 503–512, 2009.
- T. Pietrangelo, L. Toniolo, A. Paoli et al., “Functional characterization of muscle fibres from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: case-control study,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 427–436, 2009.
- R. Mancinelli, H. Kern, S. Fulle et al., “Transcriptional profile of denervated vastus lateralis muscle derived from a patient 8 months after spinal cord injury: a case report,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 749–759, 2011.
- G. D'Antona, M. A. Pellegrino, R. Adami et al., “The effect of ageing and immobilization on structure and function of human skeletal muscle fibres,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 552, no. 2, pp. 499–511, 2003.
- G. D'Antona, F. Lanfranconi, M. A. Pellegrino et al., “Skeletal muscle hypertrophy and structure and function of skeletal muscle fibres in male body builders,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 570, no. 3, pp. 611–627, 2006.
- A. F. Mannion, B. R. Weber, J. Dvorak, D. Grob, and M. Muntener, “Fibre type characteristics of the lumbar paraspinal muscles in normal healthy subjects and in patients with low back pain,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 881–887, 1997.
- S. Schiaffino and C. Reggiani, “Fiber types in Mammalian skeletal muscles,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1447–1531, 2011.
- R. S. Staron, F. C. Hagerman, R. S. Hikida et al., “Fiber type composition of the vastus lateralis muscle of young men and women,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 623–629, 2000.
- A. C. Fry, C. A. Allemeier, and R. S. Staron, “Correlation between percentage fiber type area and myosin heavy chain content in human skeletal muscle,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 246–251, 1994.
- N. Yasuda, E. I. Glover, S. M. Phillips, R. J. Isfort, and M. A. Tarnopolsky, “Sex-based differences in skeletal muscle function and morphology with short-term limb immobilization,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 1085–1092, 2005.
- G. F. Martel, S. M. Roth, F. M. Ivey et al., “Age and sex affect human muscle fibre adaptations to heavy-resistance strength training,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 457–464, 2006.