- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 250305, 6 pages
Discoloration of Indigo Carmine Using Aqueous Extracts from Vegetables and Vegetable Residues as Enzyme Sources
1Departamento de Sistemas Biológicos, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Xochimilco, Calzada del Hueso 1100, Colonia Villa Quietud, 09460 Coyoacán, DF, Mexico
2Centro de Investigación en Biotecnología Aplicada, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Ex-Hacienda San Juan Molino Carretera Estatal Tecuexcomac-Tepetitla Km 1.5, 90700 Tlax, Mexico
Received 20 June 2013; Accepted 14 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ana Moldes
Copyright © 2013 A. Solís et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Nilsson, R. Nordlinder, U. Wass, B. Meding, and L. Belin, “Asthma, rhinitis, and dermatitis in workers exposed to reactive dyes,” British Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 65–70, 1993.
- A. Birhanli and M. Ozmen, “Evaluation of the toxicity and teratogenity of six commercial textile dyes using the frog embryo teratogenesis assay-xenopus,” Drug and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 51–65, 2005.
- J. T. Spadaro, L. Isabelle, and V. Renganathan, “Hydroxyl radical mediated degradation of azo dyes: evidence for benzene generation,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1389–1393, 1994.
- M. A. Solís, H. I. Pérez, N. Manjarrez, and M. Flores, “Microbial decolouration of azo dyes: a review,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1723–1748, 2012.
- E. Butrón, M. E. Juárez, M. Solis, M. Teutli, I. González, and J. L. Nava, “Electrochemical incineration of indigo textile dye in filter-press-type FM01-LC electrochemical cell using BDD electrodes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6888–6894, 2007.
- J. P. Schwitzguébel, E. Comino, N. Plata, and M. Khalvati, “Is phytoremediation a sustainable and reliable approach to clean-up contaminated water and soil in Alpine areas?” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 842–856, 2011.
- D. G. Paquin, W. H. Sun, C. S. Tang, and Q. X. Li, “A phytoremediation study: selection of tropical and other vascular plants for decolorization of Poly R-478 dye,” Remediation Journal, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 97–107, 2006.
- F. Jamal, T. Qidwai, P. K. Pandey, R. Singh, and S. Singh, “Azo and anthraquinone dye decolorization in relation to its molecular structure using soluble Trichosanthes dioica peroxidase supplemented with redox mediator,” Catalysis Communications, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 1218–1223, 2011.
- F. Jamal, T. Qidwai, P. K. Pandey, and D. Singh, “Catalytic potential of cauliflower (Brassica oleracea) bud peroxidase in decolorization of synthetic recalcitrant dyes using redox mediator,” Catalysis Communications, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2011.
- M. Matto and Q. Husain, “Decolorization of direct dyes by salt fractionated turnip proteins enhanced in the presence of hydrogen peroxide and redox mediators,” Chemosphere, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 338–345, 2007.
- M. C. Silva, A. D. Corrêa, M. T. S. P. Amorim, P. Parpot, J. A. Torres, and P. M. B. Chagas, “Decolorization of the phthalocyanine dye reactive blue 21 by turnip peroxidase and assessment of its oxidation products,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 77, pp. 9–14, 2012.
- R. Satar and Q. Husain, “Catalyzed degradation of disperse dyes by calcium alginate-pectin entrapped bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) peroxidase,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1135–1142, 2011.
- P. M. Dellamatrice and R. T. Rosim Monteiro, “Decolorization and toxicity of municipal waste by horseradish (Cochlearia armoracia),” Quimica Nova, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 419–421, 2006.
- M. Villegas-Rosas, G. Geissler, A. Handal-Silva, and E. González-Vergara, “Inmovilización de una peroxidasa de chayote (Sechium edule(Jacq.)Sw) y su potencial aplicación en la remoción de sustancias fenólicas en aguas contaminadas,” Revista Internacional de Contaminacion Ambiental, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 73–81, 2003.
- A. A. Khan and Q. Husain, “Potential of plant polyphenol oxidases in the decolorization and removal of textile and non-textile dyes,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 396–402, 2007.
- U. Jadhav, S. Salve, R. Dhawale et al., “Use of partially purified banana peel polyphenol oxidase in the degradation of various phenolic compounds and textile dye blue 2RNL,” Textiles and Light Industrial Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2013.
- C. Queiroz, A. J. R. da Silva, M. L. M. Lopes, E. Fialho, and V. L. Valente-Mesquita, “Polyphenol oxidase activity, phenolic acid composition and browning in cashew apple (Anacardium occidentale, L.) after processing,” Food Chemistry, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 128–132, 2011.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- V. K. Gupta and S. Suhas, “Application of low-cost adsorbents for dye removal: a review,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 2313–2342, 2009.
- A. Bhatnagar and M. Sillanpää, “Utilization of agro-industrial and municipal waste materials as potential adsorbents for water treatment—A review,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 157, no. 2-3, pp. 277–296, 2010.
- G. Crini, “Non-conventional low-cost adsorbents for dye removal: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 1061–1085, 2006.
- T. Aniszewski, R. Lieberei, and K. Gulewicz, “Research on catecholases, laccases and cresolases in plants. Recent progress and future needs,” Acta Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 7–18, 2008.
- P. Nokthai, V. S. Lee, and L. Shank, “Molecular modeling of peroxidase and polyphenol Oxidase: substrate specificity and active site comparison,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 3266–3276, 2010.
- R. Neelamegam, V. Baskaran, R. Dhanasekar, and T. Viruthagiri, “Decolourization of synthetic dyes using rice straw attached Pleurotus ostreatus,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 622–625, 2004.
- M. Ramya, B. Anusha, and S. Kalavathy, “Decolorization and biodegradation of Indigo carmine by a textile soil isolate Paenibacillus larvae,” Biodegradation, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 283–291, 2008.
- H. Podgornik, M. Stegu, E. Zibert, and A. Perdih, “Laccase production by Phanerochaete chrysosporium—an artefact caused by Mn(III)?” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 407–411, 2001.
- A. R. Cestari, E. F. S. Vieira, A. M. G. Tavares, and R. E. Bruns, “The removal of the indigo carmine dye from aqueous solutions using cross-linked chitosan—Evaluation of adsorption thermodynamics using a full factorial design,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 153, no. 1-2, pp. 566–574, 2008.
- M. A. Amoozegar, M. Hajighasemi, J. Hamedi, S. Asad, and A. Ventosa, “Azo dye decolorization by halophilic and halotolerant microorganisms,” Annals of Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 217–230, 2011.
- S. Lu, Y. Luo, and H. Feng, “Inhibition of apple polyphenol oxidase activity by sodium chlorite,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 3693–3696, 2006.
- A. Mishra, S. Kumar, and A. Kumar Pandey, “Laccase production and simultaneous decolorization of synthetic dyes in unique inexpensive medium by new isolates of white rot fungus,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 487–493, 2011.
- C. Flox, S. Ammar, C. Arias, E. Brillas, A. V. Vargas-Zavala, and R. Abdelhedi, “Electro-Fenton and photoelectro-Fenton degradation of indigo carmine in acidic aqueous medium,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 67, no. 1-2, pp. 93–104, 2006.