- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 251528, 7 pages
A Flow Cytometric Analysis of Vitreous Inflammatory Cells in Patients with Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy
1University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Eye Hospital, Grablovičeva 46, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Institute of Oncology, Zaloška 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
3Institute of Histology and Embryology, Medical Faculty, University Ljubljana, Korytkova 2, 1105 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editor: Goran Petrovski
Copyright © 2013 Mojca Urbančič et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Zhang, H. Liu, M. Al-Shabrawey, R. Caldwell, and R. Caldwell, “Inflammation and diabetic retinal microvascular complications,” Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 96–103, 2011.
- A. P. Adamis, “Is diabetic retinopathy an inflammatory disease?” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 363–365, 2002.
- K. Noda, S. Nakao, S. Ishida, and T. Ishibashi, “Leukocyte adhesion molecules in diabetic retinopathy,” Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2012, Article ID 279037, 6 pages, 2012.
- J. Tang and T. S. Kern, “Inflammation in diabetic retinopathy,” Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 345–356, 2011.
- R. Chibber, B. M. Ben-Mahmud, S. Chibber, and E. M. Kohner, “Leukocytes in diabetic retinopathy,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2007.
- A. M. Joussen, V. Poulaki, M. L. Le et al., “A central role for inflammation in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy,” FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1450–1452, 2004.
- K. Miyamoto, N. Hiroshiba, A. Tsujikawa, and Y. Ogura, “In vivo demonstration of increased leukocyte entrapment in retinal microcirculation of diabetic rats,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2190–2194, 1998.
- F. C. Barouch, K. Miyamoto, J. R. Allport et al., “Integrin-mediated neutrophil adhesion and retinal leukostasis in diabetes,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1153–1158, 2000.
- S. Y. Kim, M. A. Johnson, D. S. McLeod, T. Alexander, B. C. Hansen, and G. A. Lutty, “Neutrophils are associated with capillary closure in spontaneously diabetic monkey retinas,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1534–1542, 2005.
- A. W. Stitt, T. A. Gardiner, and D. B. Archer, “Histological and ultrastructural investigation of retinal microaneurysm development in diabetic patients,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 362–367, 1995.
- S. Kase, W. Saito, S. Ohno, and S. Ishida, “Proliferative diabetic retinopathy with lymphocyte-rich epiretinal membrane associated with poor visual prognosis,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 5909–5912, 2009.
- J. Shen, B. Xie, A. Dong, M. Swaim, S. F. Hackett, and P. A. Campochiaro, “In vivo immunostaining demonstrates macrophages associate with growing and regressing vessels,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 4335–4341, 2007.
- H.-Y. Zeng, W. R. Green, and M. O. M. Tso, “Microglial activation in human diabetic retinopathy,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 227–232, 2008.
- O. Simo-Servat, C. Hernandez, and R. Simo, “Usefulness of the vitreous fluid analysis in the translational research of diabetic retinopathy,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2012, Article ID 872978, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. Sakamoto and T. Ishibashi, “Hyalocytes: essential cells of the vitreous cavity in vitreoretinal pathophysiology?” Retina, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 222–228, 2011.
- K.-H. Sonoda, T. Sakamoto, H. Qiao et al., “The analysis of systemic tolerance elicited by antigen inoculation into the vitreous cavity: vitreous cavity-associated immune deviation,” Immunology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 390–399, 2005.
- J. W. Streilein, “Ocular immune privilege: the eye takes a dim but practical view of immunity and inflammation,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2003.
- A. Cantón, E. M. Martinez-Cáceres, C. Hernández, C. Espejo, J. García-Arumí, and R. Simó, “CD4–CD8 and CD28 expression in T cells infiltrating the vitreous fluid in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy: a flow cytometric analysis,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 743–749, 2004.
- L. P. Aiello, R. L. Avery, P. G. Arrigg et al., “Vascular endothelial growth factor in ocular fluid of patients with diabetic retinopathy and other retinal disorders,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 22, pp. 1480–1487, 1994.
- V. Kloboves-Prevodnik, M. Fležar, and Ž. Pohar-Marinšek, “Improved method for flow cytometric immunophenotyping of FNAB sample,” in Proceedings of the XXII ISAC International Congress, p. 14, International Society for Analytical Cytology, Montpellier, France, May 2004.
- J. V. Forrester, “Intermediate and posterior uveitis,” in Immune Response and the Eye. Chemical Immunology and Allergy, J. Y. Niederkorn and H. J. Kaplan, Eds., vol. 92, pp. 228–243, Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 2007.
- H. Chen, F. Wen, X. Zhang, and S. B. Su, “Expression of T-helper-associated cytokines in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus with retinopathy,” Molecular Vision, vol. 18, pp. 219–226, 2012.
- J. L. Davis, D. M. Miller, and P. Ruiz, “Diagnostic testing of vitrectomy specimens,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 822–829, 2005.
- J. L. Davis, P. Ruiz, M. Shah, and E. D. Mandelcorn, “Evaluation of the reactive T-cell infiltrate in uveitis and intraocular lymphoma with flow cytometry of vitreous fluid (an american ophthalmological society thesis),” Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society, vol. 110, pp. 117–129, 2012.
- K. Kojima, K. Maruyama, T. Inaba, et al., “The CD4/CD8 ratio in vitreous fluid is of high diagnostic value in sarcoidosis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 119, no. 11, pp. 2386–2392, 2012.
- S. Sumida, “T-lymphocyte subsets in human non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (type II) studied by two-color flow cytometry,” Kurume Medical Journal, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 203–209, 1991.
- P. Esser, K. Heimann, and P. Wiedemann, “Macrophages in proliferative vitreoretinopathy and proliferative diabetic retinopathy: differentiation of subpopulations,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 731–733, 1993.
- N. N. Vagaja, H. R. Chinnery, N. Binz, J. M. Kezic, E. P. Rakoczy, and P. G. McMenamin, “Changes in murine hyalocytes are valuable early indicators of ocular disease,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1445–1451, 2012.
- T. Matsuo and K. Ichimura, “Immunocytochemical diagnosis as inflammation by vitrectomy cell blocks in patients with vitreous opacity,” Ophthalmology, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 827–837, 2012.