- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 252158, 12 pages
Therapeutic Approach in the Improvement of Endothelial Dysfunction: The Current State of the Art
1Department of Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade, P.O. Box 38, 11129 Belgrade, Serbia
2Cardiology Clinic, Clinical Center of Serbia, Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Received 24 May 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: Paul Higgins
Copyright © 2013 Miroslav Radenković et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Ribeiro, A. J. Alves, M. Teixeira, V. Ribeiro, J. A. Duarte, and J. Oliveira, “Endothelial function and atherosclerosis: circulatory markers with clinical usefulness,” Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1121–1151, 2009.
- R. G. Dias, C. E. Negrão, and M. H. Krieger, “Nitric oxide and the cardiovascular system: cell activation, vascular reactivity and genetic variant,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2011.
- R. J. Gryglewski, “Prostacyclin among prostanoids,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2008.
- M. Radenković, “Endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor and pregnancy: possible contribution in regulation of vascular signaling mechanisms in normotensive and hypertensive settings,” in Pregnancy: Risk Factors, Management and Recovery, T. Altamirano Frias and M. J. Cano, Eds., pp. 205–220, NOVA Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- L. Grbović, M. Radenković, M. Prostran, and S. Pešić, “Characterization of adenosine action in isolated rat renal artery. Possible role of adenosine A(2A) receptors,” General Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2001.
- M. Radenković, M. Stojanović, R. Janković, M. Topalović, and M. Stojiljković, “Combined contribution of endothelial relaxing autacoides in the rat femoral artery response to CPCA: an adenosine A2 receptor agonist,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 143818, 7 pages, 2012.
- M. Radenković, L. Grbović, N. Radunović, and P. Momčilov, “Pharmacological evaluation of bradykinin effect on human umbilical artery in normal, hypertensive and diabetic pregnancy,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 64–73, 2007.
- M. Radenković, M. Stojanović, and M. Topalović, “Contribution of thromboxane A2 in rat common carotid artery response to serotonin,” Scientia Pharmaceutica, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 435–443, 2010.
- Y. Hirata, D. Nagata, E. Suzuki, H. Nishimatsu, J. I. Suzuki, and R. Nagai, “Diagnosis and treatment of endothelial dysfunction in cardiovascular disease: a review,” International Heart Journal, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- D. Versari, E. Daghini, A. Virdis, L. Ghiadoni, and S. Taddei, “Endothelium-dependent contractions and endothelial dysfunction in human hypertension,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 527–536, 2009.
- A. J. Flammer and T. F. Lüscher, “Three decades of endothelium research: from the detection of nitric oxide to the everyday implementation of endothelial function measurements in cardiovascular diseases,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 140, Article ID w13122, 2010.
- S. Taddei, D. Versari, A. Cipriano et al., “Identification of a cytochrome P450 2C9-derived endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor in essential hypertensive patients,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 508–515, 2006.
- I. A. M. van den Oever, H. G. Raterman, M. T. Nurmohamed, and S. Simsek, “Endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, and apoptosis in diabetes mellitus,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, Article ID 792393, 15 pages, 2010.
- H. A. R. Hadi and J. Al Suwaidi, “Endothelial dysfunction in diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 853–876, 2007.
- D. Versari, E. Daghini, A. Virdis, L. Ghiadoni, and S. Taddei, “Endothelial dysfunction as a target for prevention of cardiovascular disease,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32 , supplement 2, pp. S314–321, 2009.
- M. Hashimoto, Y. Miyamoto, Y. Matsuda, and H. Akita, “New methods to evaluate endothelial function: non-invasive method of evaluating endothelial function in humans,” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 405–408, 2003.
- D. H. J. Thijssen, M. A. Black, K. E. Pyke et al., “Assessment of flow-mediated dilation in humans: a methodological and physiological guideline,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 300, no. 1, pp. H2–H12, 2011.
- M. Charakida, S. Masi, T. F. Lüscher, J. J. P. Kastelein, and J. E. Deanfield, “Assessment of atherosclerosis: the role of flow-mediated dilatation,” European Heart Journal, vol. 31, no. 23, pp. 2854–2861, 2010.
- S. Devaraj and I. Jialal, “Dysfunctional endothelial progenitor cells in metabolic syndrome,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 585018, 5 pages, 2012.
- S. Erbs, E. B. Beck, A. Linke et al., “High-dose rosuvastatin in chronic heart failure promotes vasculogenesis, corrects endothelial function, and improves cardiac remodeling—results from a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled study,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2011.
- E. Cangiano, J. Marchesini, G. Campo et al., “ACE inhibition modulates endothelial apoptosis and renewal via endothelial progenitor cells in patients with acute coronary syndromes,” American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 2011.
- F. KayaaltI, N. Kalay, E. Basar et al., “Effects of nebivolol therapy on endothelial functions in cardiac syndrome X,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 92–96, 2010.
- H. Xiaozhen, Z. Yun, Z. Mei, and S. Yu, “Effect of carvedilol on coronary flow reserve in patients with hypertensive left-ventricular hypertrophy,” Blood Pressure, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2010.
- S. Rizza, M. Cardellini, O. Porzio et al., “Pioglitazone improves endothelial and adipose tissue dysfunction in pre-diabetic CAD subjects,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 180–183, 2011.
- S. Perl, I. Schmölzer, H. Sourij, et al., “Telmisartan improves vascular function independently of metabolic and antihypertensive effects in hypertensive subjects with impaired glucose tolerance,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 2010.
- L. L. Chen, F. Yu, T. S. Zeng, Y. F. Liao, Y. M. Li, and H. C. Ding, “Effects of gliclazide on endothelial function in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 659, no. 2-3, pp. 296–301, 2011.
- H. Nagashima and M. Endo, “Pitavastatin prevents postprandial endothelial dysfunction via reduction of the serum triglyceride level in obese male subjects,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 428–434, 2011.
- A. R. Zankl, B. Ivandic, M. Andrassy et al., “Telmisartan improves absolute walking distance and endothelial function in patients with peripheral artery disease,” Clinical Research in Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 787–794, 2010.
- M. T. Inanc, N. Kalay, T. Heyit et al., “Effects of atorvastatin and lisinopril on endothelial dysfunction in patients with Behçet's disease,” Echocardiography, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 997–1003, 2010.
- K. Bajuk Studen, M. Šebeštjen, M. Pfeifer, and J. Preželj, “Influence of spironolactone treatment on endothelial function in non-obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 164, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2011.
- F. Alibaz Oner, S. Yurdakul, E. Oner, A. Kubat Uzum, and M. Erguney, “Evaluation of the effect of l-thyroxin therapy on endothelial functions in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism,” Endocrine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 280–284, 2011.
- A. Syngle, K. Vohra, A. Sharma, and L. Kaur, “Endothelial dysfunction in ankylosing spondylitis improves after tumor necrosis factor-α blockade,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 763–770, 2010.
- N. Kishimoto, T. Hayashi, I. Sakuma et al., “A hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme a reductase inhibitor improves endothelial function within 7-days in patients with chronic hemodialysis,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 2010.
- D. Kajdaniuk, B. Marek, W. Foltyn, and B. Kos-Kudła, “Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)—part 1: in physiology and pathophysiology,” Endokrynologia Polska, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 444–455, 2011.
- C. Qian, R. G. Schoemaker, W. H. van Gilst, and A. J. M. Roks, “The role of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in cardiovascular progenitor cell function,” Clinical Science, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 301–314, 2009.
- I. A. C. Vermeltfoort, P. G. H. M. Raijmakers, I. I. Riphagen et al., “Definitions and incidence of cardiac syndrome X: review and analysis of clinical data,” Clinical Research in Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 475–481, 2010.
- J. E. Toblli, F. DiGennaro, J. F. Giani, and F. P. Dominici, “Nebivolol: impact on cardiac and endothelial function and clinical utility,” Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 151–160, 2012.
- A. M. Sharma and B. Staels, “Review: peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ and adipose tissue—understanding obesity-related changes in regulation of lipid and glucose metabolism,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 386–395, 2007.
- J. Plutzky, “The PPAR-RXR transcriptional complex in the vasculature: energy in the balance,” Circulation Research, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 1002–1016, 2011.
- B. J. Goldstein, R. G. Scalia, and X. L. Ma, “Protective vascular and myocardial effects of adiponectin,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2009.
- A. Sugawara, A. Uruno, M. Kudo, K. Matsuda, C. W. Yang, and S. Ito, “PPARγ agonist beyond glucose lowering effect,” The Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2011.
- R. M. Cubbon, M. B. Kahn, and S. B. Wheatcroft, “Effects of insulin resistance on endothelial progenitor cells and vascular repair,” Clinical Science, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 173–190, 2009.
- J. A. Barbosa, A. B. Rodrigues, C. C. Mota, M. M. Barbosa, and A. C. Simões e Silva, “Cardiovascular dysfunction in obesity and new diagnostic imaging techniques: the role of noninvasive image methods,” Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 287–295, 2011.
- J. A. Lardizabal and P. C. Deedwania, “The anti-ischemic and anti-anginal properties of statins,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2011.
- G. Brevetti, V. Schiano, and M. Chiariello, “Endothelial dysfunction: a key to the pathophysiology and natural history of peripheral arterial disease?” Atherosclerosis, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2008.
- G. Brevetti, G. Giugliano, L. Brevetti, and W. R. Hiatt, “Inflammation in peripheral artery disease,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 18, pp. 1862–1875, 2010.
- G. Coppola, G. Romano, E. Corrado, R. M. Grisanti, and S. Novo, “Peripheral artery disease: potential role of ACE-inhibitor therapy,” Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1179–1187, 2008.
- N. Ceylan, S. Bayraktaroglu, S. M. Erturk, R. Savas, and H. Alper, “Pulmonary and vascular manifestations of Behçet disease: imaging findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. W158–W164, 2010.
- S. Aust and J. Ott, “The impact of polycystic ovarian syndrome on gestational diabetes,” in Gestational Diabetes, M. Radenković, Ed., pp. 183–200, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2011.
- S. Samavat, P. Ahmadpoor, and F. Samadian, “Aldosterone, hypertension, and beyond,” Iranian Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 71–76, 2011.
- V. Fatourechi, “Subclinical hypothyroidism: an update for primary care physicians,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2009.
- C. Neves, M. Alves, J. L. Medina, and J. L. Delgado, “Thyroid diseases, dyslipidemia and cardiovascular pathology,” Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1211–1236, 2008.
- S. Taddei, N. Caraccio, A. Virdis et al., “Impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in subclinical hypothyroidism: beneficial effect of levothyroxine therapy,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 3731–3737, 2003.
- C. Zhang, “The role of inflammatory cytokines in endothelial dysfunction,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 398–406, 2008.
- Z. Szekanecz and A. E. Koch, “Vascular involvement in rheumatic diseases: ‘vascular rheumatology’,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 10, no. 5, article 224, 2008.
- H. A. Hadi, C. S. Carr, and J. Al Suwaidi, “Endothelial dysfunction: cardiovascular risk factors, therapy, and outcome,” Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 183–198, 2005.
- R. H. Wong, P. R. Howe, J. D. Buckley, A. M. Coates, I. Kunz, and N. M. Berry, “Acute resveratrol supplementation improves flow-mediated dilatation in overweight/obese individuals with mildly elevated blood pressure,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 851–856, 2011.
- K. Fujitaka, H. Otani, F. Jo, et al., “Modified resveratrol Longevinex improves endothelial function in adults with metabolic syndrome receiving standard treatment,” Nutrition Research, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 842–847, 2011.
- S. Rizza, R. Muniyappa, M. Iantorno et al., “Citrus polyphenol hesperidin stimulates production of nitric oxide in endothelial cells while improving endothelial function and reducing inflammatory markers in patients with metabolic syndrome,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. E782–E792, 2011.
- Y. Ma, V. Y. Njike, J. Millet et al., “Effects of walnut consumption onendothelial function in type 2 diabetic subjects: a randomized controlled crossover trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 227–232, 2010.
- Y. L. Dai, T. H. Luk, K. H. Yiu et al., “Reversal of mitochondrial dysfunction by coenzyme Q10 supplement improves endothelial function in patients with ischaemic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a randomized controlled trial,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 216, no. 2, pp. 395–401, 2011.
- D. Moertl, A. Hammer, S. Steiner, R. Hutuleac, K. Vonbank, and R. Berger, “Dose-dependent effects of omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids on systolic left ventricular function, endothelial function, and markers of inflammation in chronic heart failure of nonischemic origin: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, 3-arm study,” American Heart Journal, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 915.e1–915.e9, 2011.
- S. Westphal and C. Luley, “Flavanol-rich cocoa ameliorates lipemia-induced endothelial dysfunction,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 511–515, 2011.
- T. B. Domagala, A. Szeffler, L. W. Dobrucki, et al., “Nitric oxide production and endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation ameliorated by N1-methylnicotinamide in human blood vessels,” Hypertension, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 825–832, 2012.
- D. W. Wray, S. K. Nishiyama, R. A. Harris, et al., “Acute reversal of endothelial dysfunction in the elderly after antioxidant consumption,” Hypertension, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 818–824, 2012.
- A. Z. Hoch, S. L. Lynch, J. W. Jurva, J. E. Schimke, and D. D. Gutterman, “Folic acid supplementation improves vascular function in amenorrheic runners,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 205–210, 2010.
- C. P. Bondonno, X. Yang, K. D. Croft, et al., “Flavonoid-rich apples and nitrate-rich spinach augment nitric oxide status and improve endothelial function in healthy men and women: a randomized controlled trial,” Free Radical Biology & Medicine, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 2012.
- C. Antoniades, C. Cunnington, A. Antonopoulos, et al., “Induction of vascular GTP-cyclohydrolase I and endogenous tetrahydrobiopterin synthesis protect against inflammation-induced endothelial dysfunction in human atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 124, no. 17, pp. 1860–1870, 2011.