- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 252356, 5 pages
Hip Fracture Surgery: Does Type of Anesthesia Matter?
1Section of Orthopedics, Department of Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
2Aga Khan Medical College, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Received 6 April 2013; Accepted 11 May 2013
Academic Editor: Frankie Leung
Copyright © 2013 Rizwan Haroon Rashid et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Cooper, G. Campion, and L. J. Melton, “Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 285–289, 1992.
- H. O. Lancaster, Expectations of Life, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1990.
- M. J. Parker and G. A. Pryor, Hip Fracture Management, Oxford Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1993.
- V. A. Lawrence, S. G. Hilsenbeck, H. Noveck, R. M. Poses, and J. L. Carson, “Medical complications and outcomes after hip fracture repair,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 18, pp. 2053–2057, 2002.
- J. J. W. Roche, R. T. Wenn, O. Sahota, and C. G. Moran, “Effect of comorbidities and postoperative complications on mortality after hip fracture in elderly people: Prospective Observational Cohort Study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 331, no. 7529, pp. 1374–1376, 2005.
- M. Parker and A. Johansen, “Hip fracture,” British Medical Journal, vol. 333, no. 7557, pp. 27–30, 2006.
- T. A. Radcliff, W. G. Henderson, T. J. Stoner, S. F. Khuri, M. Dohm, and E. Hutt, “Patient risk factors, operative care, and outcomes among older community-dwelling male veterans with hip fracture,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 2008.
- C. R. Covert and G. S. Fox, “Anaesthesia for hip surgery in the elderly,” Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 311–319, 1989.
- R. M. Sorenson and N. L. Pace, “Anesthetic techniques during surgical repair of femoral neck fractures: a meta-analysis,” Anesthesiology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1095–1104, 1992.
- D. Berggren, Y. Gustafson, B. Eriksson, et al., “Postoperative confusion after anesthesia in elderly patients with femoral neck fractures,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 497–504, 1987.
- F. M. Davis and V. G. Laurenson, “Spinal anaesthesia or general anaesthesia for emergency hip surgery in elderly patients,” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 352–358, 1981.
- P. Juelsgaard, N. P. R. Sand, S. Felsby et al., “Perioperative myocardial ischaemia in patients undergoing surgery for fractured hip randomized to incremental spinal, single-dose spinal or general anaesthesia,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 656–663, 1998.
- P. J. McKenzie, H. Y. Wishart, and K. M. S. Dewar, “Comparison of the effects of spinal anaesthesia and general anaesthesia on postoperative oxygenation and perioperative mortality,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 1980.
- A. D. McLaren, M. C. Stockwell, and V. T. Reid, “Anaesthetic techniques for surgical correction of fractured neck of femur. A comparative study of spinal and general anaesthesia in the elderly,” Anaesthesia, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 1978.
- R. S. Braithwaite, N. F. Col, and J. B. Wong, “Estimating hip fracture morbidity, mortality and costs,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 364–370, 2003.
- O. Johnell and J. A. Kanis, “An estimate of the worldwide prevalence, mortality and disability associated with hip fracture,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 897–902, 2004.
- S. M. White, R. Griffiths, and I. Moppett, “Type of anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery—the problems of trial design,” Anaesthesia, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 574–578, 2012.
- S. C. Urwin, M. J. Parker, and R. Griffiths, “General versus regional anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized trials,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 450–455, 2000.
- L. A. Beaupre, C. A. Jones, L. D. Saunders, D. W. C. Johnston, J. Buckingham, and S. R. Majumdar, “Best practices for elderly hip fracture patients: a systematic overview of the evidence,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1019–1025, 2005.
- A. Rodgers, N. Walker, S. Schug et al., “Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomised trials,” British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7275, pp. 1493–1497, 2000.
- J. D. Hunter, “Ventilator associated pneumonia,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 82, no. 965, pp. 172–178, 2006.
- M. D. Neuman, J. H. Silber, N. M. Elkassabany, J. M. Ludwig, and L. A. Fleisher, “Comparative effectiveness of regional versus general anesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults,” Anesthesiology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 72–92, 2012.
- M. J. Parker, H. H. Handoll, and R. Griffiths, “Anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD000521, 2004.
- J. Thorburn, J. R. Louden, and R. Vallance, “Spinal and general anaesthesia in total hip replacement: frequency of deep vein thrombosis,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1117–1121, 1980.
- S. Shimosato and B. E. Etsten, “The role of the venous system in cardiocirculatory dynamics during spinal and epidural anesthesia in man.,” Anesthesiology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 619–628, 1969.
- J. Modig, T. Borg, L. Bagge, and T. Saldeen, “Role of extradural and of general anaesthesia in fibrinolysis and coagulation after total hip replacement,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 625–629, 1983.
- A. Planes, N. Vochelle, M. Fagola, J. Feret, and M. Bellaud, “Prevention of deep vein thrombosis after total hip replacement. The effect of low-molecular-weight heparin with spinal and general anaesthesia,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 418–422, 1991.
- R. H. Bode, K. P. Lewis, S. W. Zarich et al., “Cardiac outcome after peripheral vascular surgery: comparison of general and regional anesthesia,” Anesthesiology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 3–13, 1996.
- R. Christopherson, C. Beattie, S. M. Frank et al., “Perioperative morbidity in patients randomized to epidural or general anesthesia for lower extremity vascular surgery,” Anesthesiology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 422–434, 1993.
- J. Riis, B. Lomholt, and O. Haxholdt, “Immediate and long-term mental recovery from general versus epidural anesthesia in elderly patients,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 1983.
- P. Williams-Russo, N. E. Sharrock, S. Mattis, T. P. Szatrowski, and M. E. Charlson, “Cognitive effects after epidural vs general anesthesia in older adults: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 1995.
- D. A. O'Hara, A. Duff, J. A. Berlin et al., “The effect of anesthetic technique on postoperative outcomes in hip fracture repair,” Anesthesiology, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 947–957, 2000.
- T. B. Gilbert, W. G. Hawkes, J. R. Hebel et al., “Spinal anesthesia versus general anesthesia for hip fracture repair: a longitudinal observation of 741 elderly patients during 2-year follow-up,” American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2000.
- Y. J. Shih, C. H. Hsieh, T. W. Kang, S. Y. Peng, K. T. Fan, and L. M. Wang, “General versus spinal anesthesia: which is a risk factor for octogenarian hip fracture repair patients?” International Journal of Gerontology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2010.