- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 253957, 15 pages
The Complete Exosome Workflow Solution: From Isolation to Characterization of RNA Cargo
Life Technologies, Austin, TX 78744, USA
Received 15 April 2013; Revised 26 July 2013; Accepted 26 July 2013
Academic Editor: Chung-Liang Chien
Copyright © 2013 Jeoffrey Schageman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Schorey and S. Bhatnagar, “Exosome function: from tumor immunology to pathogen biology,” Traffic, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 871–881, 2008.
- M. Mittelbrunn and F. Sánchez-Madrid, “Intercellular communication: diverse structures for exchange of genetic information,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 328–335, 2012.
- G. van Niel, I. Porto-Carreiro, S. Simoes, and G. Raposo, “Exosomes: a common pathway for a specialized function,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2006.
- A. Lakkaraju and E. Rodriguez-Boulan, “Itinerant exosomes: emerging roles in cell and tissue polarity,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 199–209, 2008.
- D. Xu and H. Tahara, “The role of exosomes and microRNAs in senescence and aging,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 368–375, 2013.
- C. Théry, L. Zitvogel, and S. Amigorena, “Exosomes: composition, biogenesis and function,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 569–579, 2002.
- A. V. Vlassov, S. Magdaleno, R. Setterquist, and R. Conrad, “Exosomes: current knowledge of their composition, biological functions, and diagnostic and therapeutic potentials,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1820, no. 7, pp. 940–948, 2012.
- L. Balaj, R. Lessard, L. Dai et al., “Tumour microvesicles contain retrotransposon elements and amplified oncogene sequences,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, Article ID ncomms1180, pp. 180–185, 2011.
- A. Janowska-Wieczorek, M. Wysoczynski, J. Kijowski et al., “Microvesicles derived from activated platelets induce metastasis and angiogenesis in lung cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 752–760, 2005.
- P. W. Kriebel, V. A. Barr, E. C. Rericha, G. Zhang, and C. A. Parent, “Collective cell migration requires vesicular trafficking for chemoattractant delivery at the trailing edge,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 949–961, 2008.
- H. Valadi, K. Ekström, A. Bossios, M. Sjöstrand, J. J. Lee, and J. O. Lötvall, “Exosome-mediated transfer of mRNAs and microRNAs is a novel mechanism of genetic exchange between cells,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 654–659, 2007.
- J. Skog, T. Würdinger, S. van Rijn et al., “Glioblastoma microvesicles transport RNA and proteins that promote tumour growth and provide diagnostic biomarkers,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1470–1476, 2008.
- K. Al-Nedawi, B. Meehan, J. Micallef et al., “Intercellular transfer of the oncogenic receptor EGFRvIII by microvesicles derived from tumour cells,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 619–624, 2008.
- L. J. Vella, R. A. Sharples, V. A. Lawson, C. L. Masters, R. Cappai, and A. F. Hill, “Packaging of prions into exosomes is associated with a novel pathway of PrP processing,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 211, no. 5, pp. 582–590, 2007.
- S. A. Bellingham, B. M. Coleman, and A. F. Hill, “Small RNA deep sequencing reveals a distinct miRNA signature released in exosomes from prion-infected neuronal cells,” Nucleic Acids Research, 2012.
- D. M. Pegtel, K. Cosmopoulos, D. A. Thorley-Lawson et al., “Functional delivery of viral miRNAs via exosomes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 14, pp. 6328–6333, 2010.
- P. Leblanc, S. Alais, I. Porto-Carreiro et al., “Retrovirus infection strongly enhances scrapie infectivity release in cell culture,” EMBO Journal, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2674–2685, 2006.
- N. Spielmann and D. T. Wong, “Saliva: diagnostics and therapeutic perspectives,” Oral Diseases, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 345–354, 2011.
- J. Nilsson, J. Skog, A. Nordstrand et al., “Prostate cancer-derived urine exosomes: a novel approach to biomarkers for prostate cancer,” The British Journal of Cancer, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 1603–1607, 2009.
- P. S. Mitchell, R. K. Parkin, E. M. Kroh et al., “Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 30, pp. 10513–10518, 2008.
- S. Mathivanan, C. J. Fahner, G. E. Reid, and R. J. Simpson, “ExoCarta 2012: database of exosomal proteins, RNA and lipids,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, pp. D1241–D1244, 2012.
- P. Diehl, A. Fricke, L. Sander et al., “Microparticles: major transport vehicles for distinct microRNAs in circulation,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 633–644, 2012.
- E. N. Nolte-'t Hoen, H. P. Buermans, M. Waasdorp, W. Stoorvogel, M. H. Wauben, and P. A. T. Hoen, “Deep sequencing of RNA from immune cell-derived vesicles uncovers the selective incorporation of small non-coding RNA biotypes with potential regulatory functions,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, no. 18, pp. 9272–9285, 2012.
- W. Koh, C. T. Sheng, B. Tan et al., “Analysis of deep sequencing microRNA expression profile from human embryonic stem cells derived mesenchymal stem cells reveals possible role of let-7 microRNA family in downstream targeting of hepatic nuclear factor 4 alpha,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, article S6, 2010.
- S. S. Luo, O. Ishibashi, G. Ishikawa et al., “Human villous trophoblasts express and secrete placenta-specific microRNAs into maternal circulation via exosomes,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 717–729, 2009.
- Q. Zhou, M. Li, X. Wang et al., “Immune-related microRNAs are abundant in breast milk exosomes,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 118–123, 2011.
- M. Mittelbrunn, C. Gutiérrez-Vázquez, C. Villarroya-Beltri et al., “Unidirectional transfer of microRNA-loaded exosomes from T cells to antigen-presenting cells,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, article 282, 2011.
- A. Zomer, T. Vendrig, E. S. Hopmans, M. van Eijndhoven, J. M. Middeldorp, and D. M. Pegtel, “Exosomes: fit to deliver small RNA,” Communicative and Integrative Biology, no. 5, pp. 447–450, 2010.
- G. Rabinowits, C. Gerçel-Taylor, J. M. Day, D. D. Taylor, and G. H. Kloecker, “Exosomal microRNA: a diagnostic marker for lung cancer,” Clinical Lung Cancer, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 2009.
- D. D. Taylor and C. Gercel-Taylor, “MicroRNA signatures of tumor-derived exosomes as diagnostic biomarkers of ovarian cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2008.
- C. Théry, S. Amigorena, G. Raposo, and A. Clayton, “Isolation and characterization of exosomes from cell culture supernatants and biological fluids,” Current Protocols in Cell Biology, vol. 3, p. 3.22, 2006.
- K. Wang, S. Zhang, J. Weber, D. Baxter, and D. J. Galas, “Export of microRNAs and microRNA-protective protein by mammalian cells,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 20, pp. 7248–7259, 2010.
- B. Ewing, L. Hillier, M. C. Wendl, and P. Green, “Base-calling of automated sequencer traces using phred. I. Accuracy assessment,” Genome Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 175–185, 1998.
- M. Martin, “Cutadapt removes adapter sequences from high-throughput sequencing reads,” EMBnet Journal, vol. 17, no. 1, article 1, 2012.
- M. David, M. Dzamba, D. Lister, L. Ilie, and M. Brudno, “SHRiMP2: sensitive yet practical short read mapping,” Bioinformatics, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1011–1012, 2011.
- M. Alvarez, M. Khosroheidari, R. Kanchi Ravi, and J. Distefano, “Comparison of protein, microRNA, and mRNA yields using different methods of urinary exosome isolation for the discovery of kidney disease biomarkers,” Kidney International, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 1024–1032, 2012.
- S. He, C. Liu, G. Skogerbø et al., “NONCODE v2.0: decoding the non-coding,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. D170–D172, 2008.
- A. Kozomara and S. Griffiths-Jones, “MiRBase: integrating microRNA annotation and deep-sequencing data,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D152–D157, 2011.
- K. Pruitt, T. Tatusova, G. Brown, and D. Maglott, “NCBI reference sequences (RefSeq): current status, new features and genome annotation policy,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, pp. D130–D135, 2012.
- H. Shibuya, H. Iinuma, R. Shimada, A. Horiuchi, and T. Watanabe, “Clinicopathological and prognostic value of microRNA-21 and microRNA-155 in colorectal cancer,” Oncology, vol. 79, no. 3-4, pp. 313–320, 2011.
- I. G. Papaconstantinou, A. Manta, M. Gazouli et al., “Expression of microRNAs in patients with pancreatic cancer and its prognostic significance,” Pancreas, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2013.
- H. Faragalla, Y. M. Youssef, A. Scorilas et al., “The clinical utility of miR-21 as a diagnostic and prognostic marker for renal cell carcinoma,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 385–392, 2012.
- W. O. Lui, N. Pourmand, B. K. Patterson, and A. Fire, “Patterns of known and novel small RNAs in human cervical cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 13, pp. 6031–6043, 2007.
- M. T. M. van Jaarsveld, J. Helleman, E. M. J. J. Berns, and E. A. C. Wiemer, “MicroRNAs in ovarian cancer biology and therapy resistance,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1282–1290, 2010.
- J. Godlewski, A. Bronisz, M. O. Nowicki, E. A. Chiocca, and S. Lawler, “microRNA-451: a conditional switch controlling glioma cell proliferation and migration,” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 14, pp. 2742–2748, 2010.
- M. Redova, A. Poprach, J. Nekvindova et al., “Circulating miR-378 and miR-451 in serum are potential biomarkers for renal cell carcinoma,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, article 55, 2012.