- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 256549, 9 pages
Photosystem II Photochemistry and Phycobiliprotein of the Red Algae Kappaphycus alvarezii and Their Implications for Light Adaptation
1School of Ocean Sciences, China University of Geosciences, Beijing 100083, China
2Key Laboratory of Experimental Marine Biology, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, China
3Department of Biology, Changshu Institute of Technology, Changshu 215500, China
4Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yantai 264003, China
Received 1 September 2013; Accepted 19 October 2013
Academic Editor: Hanzhi Lin
Copyright © 2013 Xiangyu Guan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Matanjun, S. Mohamed, K. Muhammad, and N. M. Mustapha, “Comparison of cardiovascular protective effects of tropical seaweeds, Kappaphycus alvarezii, Caulerpa lentillifera, and Sargassum polycystum, on high-cholesterol/high-fat diet in rats,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 792–800, 2010.
- S. W. Chan, H. Mirhosseini, F. S. Taip, T. C. Ling, and C. P. Tan, “Comparative study on the physicochemical properties of kappa-carrageenan extracted from Kappaphycus alvarezii (doty) doty ex Silva in Tawau, Sabah, Malaysia and commercial kappa-carrageenans,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 581–588, 2013.
- D. J. McHugh, “Prospects for seaweed production in developing countries,” FAO Fisheries Circular 986, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2001.
- M. S. Bindu and I. A. Levine, “The commercial red seaweed Kappaphycus alvarezii-an overview on farming and environment,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 789–796, 2011.
- E. Aguirre-Von-Wobeser, F. L. Figueroa, and A. Cabello-Pasini, “Photosynthesis and growth of red and green morphotypes of Kappaphycus alvarezii (Rhodophyta) from the Philippines,” Marine Biology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 679–686, 2001.
- É. C. Schmidt, M. Maraschin, and Z. L. Bouzon, “Effects of UVB radiation on the carragenophyte Kappaphycus alvarezii (Rhodophyta, Gigartinales): changes in ultrastructure, growth, and photosynthetic pigments,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 649, no. 1, pp. 171–182, 2010.
- L. Hayashi, G. S. M. Faria, B. G. Nunes et al., “Effects of salinity on the growth rate, carrageenan yield, and cellular structure of Kappaphycus alvarezii (Rhodophyta, Gigartinales) cultured in vitro,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 439–447, 2011.
- B. Loggini, A. Scartazza, E. Brugnoli, and F. Navari-Izzo, “Antioxidative defense system, pigment composition, and photosynthetic efficiency in two wheat cultivars subjected to drought,” Plant Physiology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 1091–1099, 1999.
- H.-H. Kunz, M. Scharnewski, K. Feussner et al., “The ABC transporter PXA1 and peroxisomal β-oxidation are vital for metabolism in mature leaves of Arabidopsis during extended darkness,” Plant Cell, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2733–2749, 2009.
- M. T. Meyer, T. Genkov, J. N. Skepper et al., “Rubisco small-subunit -helices control pyrenoid formation in Chlamydomonas,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, no. 47, pp. 19474–19479, 2012.
- A. E. Allen, C. L. Dupont, M. Oborník et al., “Evolution and metabolic significance of the urea cycle in photosynthetic diatoms,” Nature, vol. 473, no. 7346, pp. 203–207, 2011.
- M. L. Yallop, A. M. Anesio, R. G. Perkins et al., “Photophysiology and albedo-changing potential of the ice algal community on the surface of the Greenland ice sheet,” The ISME Journal, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2302–2313, 2012.
- A. Lepistö, S. Kangasjärvi, E.-M. Luomala et al., “Chloroplast nadph-thioredoxin reductase interacts with photoperiodic development in Arabidopsis,” Plant Physiology, vol. 149, no. 3, pp. 1261–1276, 2009.
- N. Nelson and A. Ben-Shem, “The complex architecture of oxygenic photosynthesis,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 971–982, 2004.
- K. E. Apt, J. L. Collier, and A. R. Grossman, “Evolution of the phycobiliproteins,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 79–96, 1995.
- X. Guan, S. Qin, Z. Su et al., “Combinational biosynthesis of a fluorescent cyanobacterial holo-α-phycocyanin in Escherichia coli by using one expression vector,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2007.
- B. Ge, Z. Tang, F. Zhao, Y. Ren, Y. Yang, and S. Qin, “Scale-up of fermentation and purification of recombinant allophycocyanin over-expressed in Escherichia coli,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 3190–3195, 2005.
- C. S. Ting, G. Rocap, J. King, and S. W. Chisholm, “Cyanobacterial photosynthesis in the oceans: the origins and significance of divergent light-harvesting strategies,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 134–142, 2002.
- L. R. Moore, G. Rocap, and S. W. Chisholm, “Physiology and molecular phytogeny of coexisting Prochlorococcus ecotypes,” Nature, vol. 393, no. 6684, pp. 464–467, 1998.
- C. Steglich, A. F. Post, and W. R. Hess, “Analysis of natural populations of Prochlorococcus spp. in the northern Red Sea using phycoerythrin gene sequences,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 681–690, 2003.
- Z. I. Johnson, E. R. Zinser, A. Coe, N. P. McNulty, E. M. S. Woodward, and S. W. Chisholm, “Niche partitioning among Prochlorococcus ecotypes along ocean-scale environmental gradients,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5768, pp. 1737–1740, 2006.
- F. Zhao and S. Qin, “Comparative molecular population genetics of phycoerythrin locus in Prochlorococcus,” Genetica, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 291–299, 2007.
- C. Six, J.-C. Thomas, L. Garczarek et al., “Diversity and evolution of phycobilisomes in marine Synechococcus spp.: a comparative genomics study,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 12, article R259, 2007.
- F. Zhao, X. Zhang, C. Liang, J. Wu, Q. Bao, and S. Qin, “Genome-wide analysis of restriction-modification system in unicellular and filamentous cyanobacteria,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 181–190, 2006.
- X. Guan, S. Qin, F. Zhao, X. Zhang, and X. Tang, “Phycobilisomes linker family in cyanobacterial genomes: divergence and evolution,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 434–445, 2007.
- J. C. Hagopian, M. Reis, J. P. Kitajima, D. Bhattacharya, and M. C. De Oliveira, “Comparative analysis of the complete plastid genome sequence of the red alga Gracilaria tenuistipitata var. liui provides insights into the evolution of rhodoplasts and their relationship to other plastids,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 464–477, 2004.
- K. E. Apt and A. R. Grossman, “Characterization and transcript analysis of the major phycobiliprotein subunit genes from Aglaothamnion neglectum (Rhodophyta),” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 27–38, 1993.
- K. D. Pruitt, T. Tatusova, G. R. Brown, and D. R. Maglott, “NCBI Reference Sequences (RefSeq): current status, new features and genome annotation policy,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, no. D1, pp. D130–D135, 2012.
- D. A. Benson, M. Cavanaugh, K. Clark et al., “GenBank,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 41, no. D1, pp. D36–D42, 2013.
- J. A. Kramer, “Omiga™: a PC-based sequence analysis tool,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology B, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 97–106, 2001.
- C. Camacho, G. Coulouris, V. Avagyan et al., “BLAST+: architecture and applications,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 10, article 421, 2009.
- M. A. Larkin, G. Blackshields, N. P. Brown et al., “Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 2947–2948, 2007.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- W. Nultsch, J. Pfau, and K. Huppertz, “Photoinhibition of photosynthetic oxygen production and its recovery in the subtidal red alga Polyneura hilliae,” Botanica Acta, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 1990.
- F. L. Figueroa, S. Salles, J. Aguillera et al., “Effects of solar radiation on photoinhibition and pigmentation in the red alga Porphyra leucosticta,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 151, pp. 81–90, 1997.
- D.-P. Häder, A. Gröniger, C. Hallier, M. Lebert, F. L. Figueroa, and C. Jiménez, “Photoinhibition by visible and ultraviolet radiation in the red macroalga Porphyra umbilicalis grown in the laboratory,” Plant Ecology, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1999.
- R. C. Everroad and A. M. Wood, “Phycoerythrin evolution and diversification of spectral phenotype in marine Synechococcus and related picocyanobacteria,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 381–392, 2012.
- F. Zhao and S. Qin, “Evolutionary analysis of phycobiliproteins: implications for their structural and functional relationships,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 330–340, 2006.