- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 263509, 10 pages
Antioxidant Capacity and Antimutagenic Potential of Murraya koenigii
1Department of Agricultural Microbiology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202 002, India
2James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Received 11 April 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Vincent Ribrag
Copyright © 2013 Maryam Zahin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Gilgun-Sherki, E. Melamed, and D. Offen, “Oxidative stress induced-neurodegenerative diseases: the need for antioxidants that penetrate the blood brain barrier,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 959–975, 2001.
- D. Krishnaiah, R. Sarbatly, and R. Nithyanandam, “A review of the antioxidant potential of medicinal plant species,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 217–233, 2011.
- K. H. Cheeseman and T. F. Slater, “An introduction to free radical biochemistry,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 481–493, 1993.
- R. A. Larson, “The antioxidants of higher plants,” Phytochemistry, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 969–978, 1988.
- A. Mitrović and J. Bogdanović, “Effect of gibberellic acid on total antioxidant activity during chenopodium rubrum l. Ontogenesis in vitro,” Archives of Biological Sciences, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2009.
- K. Yoshikawa, K. Inagaki, T. Terashita, J. Shishiyama, S. Kuo, and D. M. Shankel, “Antimutagenic activity of extracts from Japanese eggplant,” Mutation Research—Genetic Toxicology, vol. 371, no. 1-2, pp. 65–71, 1996.
- N. S. Sangwan, S. Shanker, R. S. Sangwan, and S. Kumar, “Plant-derived products as antimutagens,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 389–399, 1998.
- W. M. El-Sayed and W. A. Hussin, “Antimutagenic and antioxidant activity of novel 4-substituted phenyl-2, 2′-bichalcophenes and aza-analogs,” Journal of Drug Design, Development and Therapy, vol. 7, pp. 73–81, 2013.
- A. Cardador-Martínez, A. Albores, M. Bah et al., “Relationship among antimutagenic, antioxidant and enzymatic activities of methanolic extract from common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L),” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 161–168, 2006.
- J. Musarrat, F. Aqil, and I. Ahmad, “Mutagenicity and antimutagenicity of medicinal plants,” in Modern Phytomedicine: Turning Medicinal Plants into Drug, I. Ahmad, F. Aqil, and M. Owais, Eds., pp. 271–286, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2006.
- S. Bala and I. S. Grover, “Antimutagenicity of some citrus fruits in Salmonella typhimurium,” Mutation Research, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 141–148, 1989.
- F. Aqil, M. Zahin, and I. Ahmad, “Antimutagenic activity of methanolic extracts of four ayurvedic medicinal plants,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 668–672, 2008.
- K. Kaur, S. Arora, S. Kumar, and A. Nagpal, “Antimutagenic activities of acetone and methanol fractions of Terminalia arjuna,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1475–1482, 2002.
- S. M. Hiremath, B. B. Madalageri, and P. W. Basarkar, “Composition of curry leaf (Murraya koenigii Spreng) oil during leaf growth,” Indian Perfumer, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 58–59, 1998.
- J. Mishra, A. Yousuf, R. D. Singh, and A. Aradhana, “Phytochemical investigation and in-vitro antioxidant potential of leaves of Murraya koenigii,” International Journal of Integrative Biology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 171–174, 2009.
- S. D. Bonde, L. S. Nemade, M. R. Patel, and A. A. Patel, “Murraya koenigii (Curry leaf): ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology—a review,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research, vol. 1, pp. 23–27, 2011.
- M. Zahin, I. Ahmad, and F. Aqil, “Antioxidant and antimutagenic activity of Carum copticum fruit extracts,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1243–1249, 2010.
- M. Zahin, F. Aqil, and I. Ahmad, “Broad spectrum antimutagenic activity of antioxidant active fraction of Punica granatum L. peel extracts,” Mutation Research—Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, vol. 703, no. 2, pp. 99–107, 2010.
- P. Prieto, M. Pineda, and M. Aguilar, “Spectrophotometric quantitation of antioxidant capacity through the formation of a phosphomolybdenum complex: specific application to the determination of vitamin E,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 337–341, 1999.
- M. A. Gyamfi, M. Yonamine, and Y. Aniya, “Free-radical scavenging action of medicinal herbs from Ghana: Thonningia sanguinea on experimentally-induced liver injuries,” General Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 661–667, 1999.
- M. Oyaizu, “Studies on products of browning reactions: antioxidant activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine,” Japaneese Journal of Nutrition, vol. 44, pp. 307–315, 1986.
- F. Aqil, R. Munagala, M. V. Vadhanam et al., “Anti-proliferative activity and protection against oxidative DNA damage by punicalagin isolated from pomegranate husk,” Food Research International, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 345–353, 2012.
- R. Apak, K. Güçlü, B. Demirata et al., “Comparative evaluation of various total antioxidant capacity assays applied to phenolic compounds with the CUPRAC assay,” Molecules, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1496–1547, 2007.
- I. Gülçin, “Antioxidant activity of l-adrenaline: a structure-activity insight,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 179, no. 2-3, pp. 71–80, 2009.
- D. M. Maron and B. N. Ames, “Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test,” Mutation Research, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 173–215, 1983.
- G. A. Spanos and R. E. Wrolstad, “Influence of processing and storage on the phenolic composition of thompson seedless grape juice,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1565–1571, 1990.
- P. S. Negi, G. K. Jayaprakasha, and B. S. Jena, “Antioxidant and antimutagenic activities of pomegranate peel extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 393–397, 2003.
- S. Gupta and J. Prakash, “Studies on Indian green leafy vegetables for their antioxidant activity,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2009.
- V. S. Rana, J. P. Juyal, R. Rashmi, and M. A. Blazquez, “Chemical constituents of the volatile oil of Murraya koenigii leaves,” International Journal of Aromatherapy, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 23–25, 2004.
- L. J. M. Rao, K. Ramalakshmi, B. B. Borse, and B. Raghavan, “Antioxidant and radical-scavenging carbazole alkaloids from the oleoresin of curry leaf (Murraya koenigii Spreng.),” Food Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 742–747, 2007.
- Y. Tachibana, H. Kikuzaki, N. H. Lajis, and N. Nakatani, “Antioxidative activity of carbazoles from Murraya koenigii leaves,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 5589–5594, 2001.
- R. S. Ramsewak, M. G. Nair, G. M. Strasburg, D. L. DeWitt, and J. L. Nitiss, “Biologically active carbazole alkaloids from Murraya koenigii,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 444–447, 1999.
- P. R. Bhandari, “Curry leaf (Murraya koenigii) or cure leaf: review of its curative properties,” Journal of Medical Nutrition and Nutraceuticals, vol. 1, pp. 92–97, 2012.
- M. Osborne and N. Crosby, Metabolism Benzopyrenes, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- J. M. Arif, M. Kunhi, Y. M. Siddiqui et al., “Differential modulation of benzo[a]pyrene-derived DNA adducts in MCF-7 cells by marine compounds,” International Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 1, pp. 259–268, 2004.
- D. Sarkar, A. Sharma, and G. Talukder, “Plant extracts as modulators of genotoxic effects,” Botanical Review, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 275–300, 1996.
- J. S. Bertram and A. L. Vine, “Cancer prevention by retinoids and carotenoids: independent action on a common target,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1740, no. 2, pp. 170–178, 2005.
- A. di Sotto, M. G. Evandri, and G. Mazzanti, “Antimutagenic and mutagenic activities of some terpenes in the bacterial reverse mutation assay,” Mutation Research—Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, vol. 653, no. 1-2, pp. 130–133, 2008.
- B. Nikolic, J. Stanojevic, D. Mitic, B. Vukovic-Gacic, J. Knezevic-Vukcevic, and D. Simic, “Comparative study of the antimutagenic potential of Vitamin E in different E. coli strains,” Mutation Research, vol. 564, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2004.