- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 265618, 9 pages
Biohydrogen Production and Kinetic Modeling Using Sediment Microorganisms of Pichavaram Mangroves, India
1Pollution Control Research Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu 608 002, India
2Core Group Pollution Prevention and Resource Recovery, Department of Environmental Engineering and Water Technology, UNESCO-IHE, P.O. Box 3015, 2601 DA, Delft, The Netherlands
Received 11 September 2013; Accepted 11 October 2013
Academic Editor: Kannan Pakshirajan
Copyright © 2013 P. Mullai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International energy outlook, “U.S. Energy Information Administration,” pp. 300, 2013.
- D. B. Levin, L. Pitt, and M. Love, “Biohydrogen production: prospects and limitations to practical application,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 173–185, 2004.
- S. Venkata Mohan, Y. Vijaya Bhaskar, and P. N. Sarma, “Biohydrogen production from chemical wastewater treatment in biofilm configured reactor operated in periodic discontinuous batch mode by selectively enriched anaerobic mixed consortia,” Water Research, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 2652–2664, 2007.
- M. T. Skonieczny, Biological hydrogen production from industrial wastewater with Clostridium beijerinckii [M.S. dissertation], McGill University, 2008.
- G. E. Diwani, N. K. Attia, and S. I. Hawash, “Development and evaluation of biodiesel fuel and by-products from jatropha oil,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 219–224, 2009.
- H. Le Man, S. K. Behera, and H. S. Park, “Optimization of operational parameters for ethanol production from korean food waste leachate,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 157–164, 2010.
- H. N. Abubackar, M. C. Veiga, and C. Kennes, “Biological conversion of carbon monoxide: rich syngas or waste gases to bioethanol,” Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 93–114, 2011.
- P. Mullai, M. K. Yogeswari, and K. Sridevi, “Optimisation and enhancement of biohydrogen production using nickel nanoparticles—a novel approach,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 141, pp. 212–219, 2013.
- P. Mullai, K. Sampath, and P. L. Sabarathinam, “Kinetic models anaerobic digestion of penicillin-G wastewater,” Chemical Engineering World, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 161–164, 2003.
- P. Mullai, S. Arulselvi, H.-H. Ngo, and P. L. Sabarathinam, “Experiments and ANFIS modelling for the biodegradation of penicillin-G wastewater using anaerobic hybrid reactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 9, pp. 5492–5497, 2011.
- P. Mullai, H. H. Ngo, and P. L. Sabarathinam, “Substrate removal kinetics of an anaerobic hybrid reactor treating pharmaceutical wastewater,” Journal of Water Sustainability, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 301–312, 2011.
- R. Kothari, D. P. Singh, V. V. Tyagi, and S. K. Tyagi, “Fermentative hydrogen production—an alternative clean energy source,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2337–2346, 2012.
- F. R. Hawkes, R. Dinsdale, D. L. Hawkes, and I. Hussy, “Sustainable fermentative hydrogen production: challenges for process optimisation,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 27, no. 11-12, pp. 1339–1347, 2002.
- N. Ren, J. Li, B. Li, Y. Wang, and S. Liu, “Biohydrogen production from molasses by anaerobic fermentation with a pilot-scale bioreactor system,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 2147–2157, 2006.
- S. Robaire, Biological hydrogen production using Citrobacter amalonaticus Y19 to catalyze the water-gas shift reaction [M.S. dissertation], McGill University, 2006.
- K. Vijayaraghavan and M. A. M. Soom, “Trends in bio-hydrogen generation—a review,” Environmental Sciences, vol. 3, pp. 255–271, 2006.
- K. Kathiresan, “A review of studies on Pichavaram mangrove, Southeast India,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 430, no. 1–3, pp. 185–205, 2000.
- K. Kathiresan, “Why are mangroves degrading?” Current Science, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 10–25, 2002.
- D. Zhu, G. Wang, H. Qiao, and J. Cai, “Fermentative hydrogen production by the new marine Pantoea agglomerans isolated from the mangrove sludge,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 33, no. 21, pp. 6116–6123, 2008.
- J. Wang and W. Wan, “Kinetic models for fermentative hydrogen production: a review,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 3313–3323, 2009.
- R. Zhao, H. Liu, H. Hu et al., “A fundamental research on combustion chemical kinetic model's precision property,” Science China Technological Sciences, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 2222–2227, 2010.
- P. Mullai, E. R. Rene, H. S. Park, and P. L. Sabarathinam, “Adaptive network based fuzzy interference system (ANFIS) modeling of an anaerobic wastewater treatment process,” in Handbook of Research on Industrial Informatics and Manufacturing Intelligence: Innovations and Solutions, M. A. Khan and A. Q. Ansari, Eds., pp. 252–270, IGI, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- J. E. Bailey and D. F. Ollis, Biochemical Engineering Fundamentals, Tata MaGraw-Hill, New Delhi, India, 1986.
- K. Nath and D. Das, “Modeling and optimization of fermentative hydrogen production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 18, pp. 8569–8581, 2011.
- H. Koku, I. Eroǧlu, U. Gündüz, M. Yücel, and L. Türker, “Kinetics of biological hydrogen production by the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodobacter sphaeroides O.U. 001,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 381–388, 2003.
- Y. Mu, G. Wang, and H.-Q. Yu, “Kinetic modeling of batch hydrogen production process by mixed anaerobic cultures,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 1302–1307, 2006.
- J. Niessen, F. Harnisch, M. Rosenbaum, U. Schröder, and F. Scholz, “Heat treated soil as convenient and versatile source of bacterial communities for microbial electricity generation,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 869–873, 2006.
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Waste and Wastewater, American Public Health Associations, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- J. Wang and W. Wan, “The effect of substrate concentration on biohydrogen production by using kinetic models,” Science in China B, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1110–1117, 2008.
- W. M. Alalayah, M. S. Kalil, A. A. H. Kadhum, J. M. Jahim, and N. M. Alauj, “Effect of environmental parameters on hydrogen production using Clostridium saccharoperbutylacetonicum N1-4(ATCC 13564),” American Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 80–86, 2009.
- S. K. Khanal, W.-H. Chen, L. Li, and S. Sung, “Biological hydrogen production: effects of pH and intermediate products,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1123–1131, 2004.
- M. Ferchichi, E. Crabbe, G.-H. Gil, W. Hintz, and A. Almadidy, “Influence of initial pH on hydrogen production from cheese whey,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 402–409, 2005.
- Y. J. L. Young Joon Lee, T. Miyahara, and T. Noike, “Effect of iron concentration on hydrogen fermentation,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 227–231, 2001.
- H. Yang and J. Shen, “Effect of ferrous iron concentration on anaerobic bio-hydrogen production from soluble starch,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 2137–2146, 2006.
- J. Wang and W. Wan, “Effect of Fe2+ concentration on fermentative hydrogen production by mixed cultures,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 1215–1220, 2008.
- Y.-C. Lo, W.-M. Chen, C.-H. Hung, S.-D. Chen, and J.-S. Chang, “Dark H2 fermentation from sucrose and xylose using H2-producing indigenous bacteria: feasibility and kinetic studies,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 4-5, pp. 827–842, 2008.
- Y. Sharma and B. Li, “Optimizing hydrogen production from organic wastewater treatment in batch reactors through experimental and kinetic analysis,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 34, no. 15, pp. 6171–6180, 2009.
- P. Kongjan, B. Min, and I. Angelidaki, “Biohydrogen production from xylose at extreme thermophilic temperatures (70°C) by mixed culture fermentation,” Water Research, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1414–1424, 2009.
- F. J. Fernández-Morales, J. Villaseñor, and D. Infantes, “Modeling and monitoring of the acclimatization of conventional activated sludge to a biohydrogen producing culture by biokinetic control,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, no. 20, pp. 10927–10933, 2010.
- F. J. Fernández, J. Villaseñor, and D. Infantes, “Kinetic and stoichiometric modelling of acidogenic fermentation of glucose and fructose,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 3877–3883, 2011.
- N. Zainol, “Kinetics of biogas production from banana stem waste,” in Biogas, S. Kumar, Ed., p. 408, InTech, Europe, 2012.
- X. Yuan, X. Shi, P. Zhang, Y. Wei, R. Guo, and L. Wang, “Anaerobic biohydrogen production from wheat stalk by mixed microflora: kinetic model and particle size influence,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 19, pp. 9007–9012, 2011.