- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 268249, 10 pages
Constitutive Optimized Production of Streptokinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae Utilizing Glyceraldehyde 3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Promoter of Pichia pastoris
1Centre for Biotechnology, Institute of Science and Technology, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500085, India
2Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2M9
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Received 25 April 2013; Revised 27 June 2013; Accepted 10 July 2013
Academic Editor: Gotthard Kunze
Copyright © 2013 Ravi N. Vellanki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Banerjee, Y. Chisti, and U. C. Banerjee, “Streptokinase—a clinically useful thrombolytic agent,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 287–307, 2004.
- H. Sun, Y. Xu, I. Sitkiewicz et al., “Inhibitor of streptokinase gene expression improves survival after group A streptococcus infection in mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 3469–3474, 2012.
- D. Xavier, P. Pais, P. Devereaux et al., “Treatment and outcomes of acute coronary syndromes in India (CREATE): a prospective analysis of registry data,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9622, pp. 1435–1442, 2008.
- K. Balaraman and G. Prabakaran, “Production and purification of a fibrinolytic enzyme (thrombinase) from Bacillus sphaericus,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 459–464, 2007.
- R. R. Chitte, S. V. Deshmukh, and P. P. Kanekar, “Production, purification, and biochemical characterization of a fibrinolytic enzyme from thermophilic Streptomyces sp. MCMB-379,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 165, no. 5-6, pp. 1406–1413, 2011.
- M. Ueda, T. Kubo, K. Miyatake, and T. Nakamura, “Purification and characterization of fibrinolytic alkaline protease from Fusarium sp. BLB,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 331–338, 2007.
- R. N. Vellanki, R. Potumarthi, and L. N. Mangamoori, “Constitutive expression and optimization of nutrients for streptokinase production by Pichia pastoris using statistical methods,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2009.
- E. Pimienta, J. C. Ayala, C. Rodríguez et al., “Recombinant production of Streptococcus equisimilis streptokinase by Streptomyces lividans,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 6, article 20, 2007.
- F. S. HartnerF.S., C. Ruth, D. Langenegger et al., “Promoter library designed for fine-tuned gene expression in Pichia pastoris,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, no. 12, article e76, 2008.
- O. Cos, R. Ramón, J. L. Montesinos, and F. Valero, “Operational strategies, monitoring and control of heterologous protein production in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris under different promoters: a review,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 5, article 17, 2006.
- A. L. Zhang, J. X. Luo, T. Y. Zhang et al., “Recent advances on the GAP promoter derived expression system of Pichia pastoris,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1611–1619, 2009.
- R. N. Vellanki, N. Komaravelli, R. Tatineni, and L. N. Mangamoori, “Expression of hepatitis B surface antigen in Saccharomyces cerevisiae utilizing glyceraldeyhyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter of Pichia pastoris,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 313–318, 2007.
- M. J. Hagenson, K. A. Holden, K. A. Parker et al., “Expression of streptokinase in Pichia pastoris yeast,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 650–656, 1989.
- J. Pratap, G. Rajamohan, and K. L. Dikshit, “Characteristics of glycosylated streptokinase secreted from Pichia pastoris: enhanced resistance of SK to proteolysis by glycosylation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 469–475, 2000.
- R. Kumar and J. Singh, “Expression and secretion of a prokaryotic protein streptokinase without glycosylation and degradation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe,” Yeast, vol. 21, no. 16, pp. 1343–1358, 2004.
- R. Ovalle, M. Spencer, M. Thiwanont, and P. N. Lipke, “The spheroplast lysis assay for yeast in microtiter plate format,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 3325–3327, 1999.
- J. H. Scott and R. Schekman, “Lyticase: endoglucanase and protease activities that act together in yeast cell lysis,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 414–423, 1980.
- T. Schultis and J. W. Metzger, “Determination of estrogenic activity by LYES-assay (yeast estrogen screen-assay assisted by enzymatic digestion with lyticase),” Chemosphere, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1649–1655, 2004.
- E. S. Kulisek, S. E. Holm, and K. H. Johnston, “A chromogenic assay for the detection of plasmin generated by plasminogen activator immobilized on nitrocellulose using a para-nitroanilide synthetic peptide substrate,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 1989.
- R. L. Plackett and J. P. Burman, “The design of optimum multifactorial experiments,” Biometrika, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 305–325, 1946.
- S. Akhnazarova and V. Vafarov, Experiment Optimization in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Mir Publications, Moscow, Russia, 1982.
- R. H. Myers and D. C. Montgomery, “Response surface methodology,” in Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- A. I. Khuri and J. A. Cornell, Response Surfaces: Design and Analysis, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- S. Sharma, A. Malik, and S. Satya, “Application of response surface methodology (RSM) for optimization of nutrient supplementation for Cr (VI) removal by Aspergillus lentulus AML05,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 164, no. 2-3, pp. 1198–1204, 2009.
- C. Gasparetti, P. Buzzini, M. R. Cramarossa, B. Turchetti, U. M. Pagnoni, and L. Forti, “Application of the response surface methodology (RSM) for optimizing the production of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) by Trichosporon moniliiforme,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1341–1346, 2006.
- R. Potumarthi, L. Jacques, W. Harry, and M. Danquah, “Surface immobilization of Rhizopus oryzae (ATCC, 96382) for enhanced production lipase enzyme by multiple responses optimization,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, supplement, pp. S285–S295, 2012.
- R. Potumarthi, G. Mugeraya, and A. Jetty, “Biological treatment of toxic petroleum spent caustic in fluidized bed bioreactor using immobilized cells of Thiobacillus RAI01,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 151, no. 2-3, pp. 532–546, 2008.
- R. Potumarthi, C. Subhakar, A. Pavani, and A. Jetty, “Evaluation of various parameters of calcium-alginate immobilization method for enhanced alkaline protease production by Bacillus licheniformis NCIM-2042 using statistical methods,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1776–1786, 2008.
- F. Villatte, A. S. Hussein, T. T. Bachmann, and R. D. Schmid, “Expression level of heterologous proteins in Pichia pastoris is influenced by flask design,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 463–465, 2001.
- C. S. Hoffman and F. Winston, “A ten-minute DNA preparation from yeast efficiently releases automomous plasmids for transformation of Escherichia coli,” Gene, vol. 57, no. 2-3, pp. 267–272, 1987.
- L. T. Couto, J. L. Donato, and G. de Nucci, “Analysis of five streptokinase formulations using the euglobulin lysis test and the plasminogen activation assay,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1889–1894, 2004.
- A. Granelli-Piperno and E. Reich, “A study of proteases and protease-inhibitor complexes in biological fluids,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 223–234, 1978.
- H. Malke and J. J. Ferretti, “Streptokinase: cloning, expression, and excretion by Escherichia coli,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 3557–3561, 1984.
- C. Longstaff and C. M. Whitton, “A proposed reference method for plasminogen activators that enables calculation of enzyme activities in SI units,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 1416–1421, 2004.
- US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., United States Pharmacopeia 27/National Formulary 22, US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Rockville, Md, USA, 2004.
- T. T. Wang, J. Y. Choi, and B. H. Lee, “Transformation systems of non-Saccharomyces yeasts,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 177–218, 2001.
- V. Nacken, T. Achstetter, and E. Degryse, “Probing the limits of expression levels by varying promoter strength and plasmid copy number in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Gene, vol. 175, no. 1-2, pp. 253–260, 1996.
- G. E. P. Box, W. G. Hunter, and J. S. Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- W. G. Cochran and G. M. Cox, Eds., Experimental Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1957.
- D. Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2001.