- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 270898, 7 pages
Bovine Papillomavirus in Brazil: Detection of Coinfection of Unusual Types by a PCR-RFLP Method
1Laboratório de Genética, Instituto Butantan, Secretária de Estado da Saúde, Avenida Vital Brasil 1500, Butantan, 05503-900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Laboratório de Biologia Molecular Aplicada e Sorologia, Departamento de Medicina Veterinária Preventiva e Saúde Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária, e Zootecnia da Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Prof. Dr. Orlando Marques de Paiva, 87 Cidade Universitária, Butantan, 05508-270 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Centro de Pesquisa em Pecuária do Leite, Instituto de Zootecnia, Agencia Paulista de Tecnologia dos Agronegócios, CAPTA Bovinos Leiteiros, Rodovia Luiz de Queiroz km 129, 13460-000 Nova Odessa, SP, Brazil
4Programa de Pós-Graduação Interunidades em Biotecnologia, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, Edifício ICB-III, Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Prof. Lineu Prestes, 2415 Cidade Universitária, Butantan, 05508-900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
5Programa de Pós-Graduação em Biologia Estrutural e Funcional, Universidade Federal de São Paulo, Rua Botucatu, 740 Vila Clementino, 04023-900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
6Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal da Integração Latino-Americana (UNILA), Avenida Tancredo Neves 6731, Bloco 4, 85867-970 Foz do Iguaçú, PR, Brazil
Received 26 March 2013; Accepted 16 May 2013
Academic Editor: Lubna Nasir
Copyright © 2013 R. F. Carvalho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. S. Campo, “Papillomavirus and disease in humans and animals,” Veterinary and Comparative Oncology, vol. 1, pp. 3–14, 2003.
- S.-Y. Chan, H. Delius, A. L. Halpern, and H.-U. Bernard, “Analysis of genomic sequences of 95 papillomavirus types: uniting typing, phylogeny, and taxonomy,” Journal of Virology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 3074–3083, 1995.
- E.-M. de Villiers, C. Fauquet, T. R. Broker, H.-U. Bernard, and H. Zur Hausen, “Classification of papillomaviruses,” Virology, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 2004.
- G. Borzacchiello and F. Roperto, “Bovine papillomaviruses, papillomas and cancer in cattle,” Veterinary Research, vol. 39, no. 5, article 45, 2008.
- M. S. Campo, W. F. H. Jarrett, R. Barron, B. W. O'Neil, and K. T. Smith, “Association of bovine papillomavirus type 2 and bracken fern with bladder cancer in cattle,” Cancer Research, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6898–6904, 1992.
- F. Jelínek and R. Tachezy, “Cutaneous papillomatosis in cattle,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 70–81, 2005.
- L. Nasir and M. S. Campo, “Bovine papillomaviruses: their role in the aetiology of cutaneous tumours of bovids and equids,” Veterinary Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 243–254, 2008.
- M. Lunardi, A. A. Alfieri, R. A. Otonel, et al., “Genetic characterization of a novel bovine papillomavirus member of the Deltapapillomavirus genus,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 207–213, 2012.
- W. F. H. Jarrett, M. S. Campo, B. W. O'Neil, H. M. Laird, and L. W. Coggins, “A novel bovine papillomavirus (BPV-6) causing true epithelial papillomas of the mammary gland skin: a member of a proposed new BPV subgroup,” Virology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 255–264, 1984.
- S. Hatama, R. Ishihara, Y. Ueda, T. Kanno, and I. Uchida, “Detection of a novel bovine papillomavirus type 11 (BPV-11) using Xipapillomavirus consensus polymerase chain reaction primers,” Archives of Virology, vol. 156, no. 7, pp. 1281–1285, 2011.
- W. Zhu, J. Dong, E. Shimizu et al., “Characterization of novel bovine papillomavirus type 12 (BPV-12) causing epithelial papilloma,” Archives of Virology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 85–91, 2012.
- N. Bloch, R. H. Sutton, and P. B. Spradbrow, “Bovine cutaneous papillomas associated with bovine papillomavirus type 5,” Archives of Virology, vol. 138, no. 3-4, pp. 373–377, 1994.
- Y. Tomita, I. Literak, T. Ogawa, Z. Jin, and H. Shirasawa, “Complete genomes and phylogenetic positions of bovine papillomavirus type 8 and a variant type from a European bison,” Virus Genes, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 2007.
- T. Ogawa, Y. Tomita, M. Okada, and H. Shirasawa, “Complete genome and phylogenetic position of bovine papillomavirus type 7,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 1934–1938, 2007.
- A. Antonsson and B. G. Hansson, “Healthy skin of many animal species harbors papillomaviruses which are closely related to their human counterparts,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 24, pp. 12537–12542, 2002.
- T. Ogawa, Y. Tomita, M. Okada et al., “Broad-spectrum detection of papillomaviruses in bovine teat papillomas and healthy teat skin,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 2191–2197, 2004.
- Y. Maeda, T. Shibahara, Y. Wada et al., “An outbreak of teat papillomatosis in cattle caused by bovine papilloma virus (BPV) type 6 and unclassified BPVs,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 121, no. 3-4, pp. 242–248, 2007.
- M. P. Claus, M. Lunardi, A. F. Alfieri, L. M. Ferracin, M. H. P. Fungaro, and A. A. Alfieri, “Identification of unreported putative new bovine papillomavirus types in Brazilian cattle herds,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 132, no. 3-4, pp. 396–401, 2008.
- S. Hatama, K. Nobumoto, and T. Kanno, “Genomic and phylogenetic analysis of two novel bovine papillomaviruses, BPV-9 and BPV-10,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 158–163, 2008.
- O. Forslund, A. Antonsson, P. Nordin, B. Stenquist, and B. G. Hansson, “A broad range of human papillomavirus types detected with a general PCR method suitable for analysis of cutaneous tumours and normal skin,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 2437–2443, 1999.
- R. C. Stocco Dos Santos, C. J. Lindsey, O. P. Ferraz et al., “Bovine papillomavirus transmission and chromosomal aberrations: an experimental model,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 2127–2135, 1998.
- S. R. Wosiacki, M. P. Claus, A. F. Alfieri, and A. A. Alfieri, “Bovine papillomavirus type 2 detection in the urinary bladder of cattle with chronic enzootic haematuria,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 635–638, 2006.
- A. Yaguiu, C. Carvalho, A. C. Freitas, et al., “Papillomatosis in cattle: in situ detection of Bovine Papillomavirus DNA sequences in reproductive tissues,” Brazilian Journal of Morphological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 129–136, 2006.
- N. Diniz, T. C. Melo, J. F. Santos et al., “Simultaneous presence of bovine papillomavirus in blood and in short-term lymphocyte cultures from dairy cattle in Pernambuco, Brazil,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1474–1480, 2009.
- M. Lunardi, M. P. Claus, A. A. Alfieri, and M. H. P. Fungaro, “Phylogenetic position of an uncharacterized Brazilian strain of bovine papillomavirus in the genus Xipapillomavirus based on sequencing of the L1 open reading frame,” Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 745–749, 2010.
- M. P. Claus, M. Lunardi, A. A. Alfieri, et al., “Multiple bovine papillomavirus infections associated with cutaneous papillomatosis in Brazilian cattle herds,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 52, pp. 93–98, 2009.
- T. Vincze, J. Posfai, and R. J. Roberts, “NEBcutter: a program to cleave DNA with restriction enzymes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3688–3691, 2003.
- T. A. Hall, “BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT,” Nucleic Acid Symposium Series, vol. 41, pp. 95–98, 1999.
- J. D. Thompson, D. G. Higgins, and T. J. Gibson, “CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 4673–4680, 1994.
- S. F. Altschul, T. L. Madden, A. A. Schäffer et al., “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- B. Efron, E. Halloran, and S. Holmes, “Bootstrap confidence levels for phylogenetic trees,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 23, pp. 13429–13434, 1996.
- R. D.m.page, “TreeView: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers,” Computer Applications in the Biosciences, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 357–358, 1996.
- O. Lungu, T. C. Wright Jr., and S. Silverstein, “Typing of human papillomaviruses by polymerase chain reaction amplification with L1 consensus primers and RFLP analysis,” Molecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 1992.
- G. Astori, A. Arzese, C. Pipan, E.-M. De Villiers, and G. A. Botta, “Characterization of a putative new HPV genomic sequence from a cervical lesion using L1 consensus primers and restriction fragment length polymorphism,” Virus Research, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1997.
- R. J. Nobre, L. P. de Almeida, and T. C. Martins, “Complete genotyping of mucosal human papillomavirus using a restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis and an original typing algorithm,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2008.