- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 272018, 7 pages
Effects of Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation Combined with Exercises versus an Exercise Program on the Pain and the Function in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial
1Internal Medicine Department, Federal University of São Paulo, 04023-900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Human Movement Science Department, Federal University of São Paulo, 11060-001 Santos, SP, Brazil
3Medicine Department, Santo Amaro University, 04829-300 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 23 April 2013; Revised 10 August 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Jón Karlsson
Copyright © 2013 Aline Mizusaki Imoto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. T. Felson, “Developments in the clinical understanding of osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 1, article 203, 2009.
- B. T. Maurer, A. G. Stern, B. Kinossian, K. D. Cook, and H. R. Schumacher Jr., “Osteoarthritis of the knee: isokinetic quadriceps exercise versus and educational intervention,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1293–1299, 1999.
- T. S. Fidelix, B. G. Soares, and V. F. Trevisani, “Diacerein for osteoarthritis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD005117, 2006.
- M. V. Hurley, “The role of muscle weakness in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 283–298, 1999.
- S. P. Messier, R. F. Loeser, G. D. Miller et al., “Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the Arthritis, Diet, and Activity Promotion Trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1501–1510, 2004.
- D. A. Reid and P. J. McNair, “Effects of an acute hamstring stretch in people with and without osteoarthritis of the knee,” Physiotherapy, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2010.
- J. P. K. Halbertsma, I. Mulder, L. N. H. Göeken, and W. H. Eisma, “Repeated passive stretching: acute effect on the passive muscle moment and extensibility of short hamstrings,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 407–414, 1999.
- N. A. Maffiuletti, “Physiological and methodological considerations for the use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 223–234, 2010.
- D. Durmuş, G. Alayli, and F. Cantürk, “Effects of quadriceps electrical stimulation program on clinical parameters in the patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 26, pp. 674–678, 2007.
- R. M. Palmieri-Smith, A. C. Thomas, C. Karvonen-Gutierrez, and M. Sowers, “A clinical trial of neuromuscular electrical stimulation in improving quadriceps muscle strength and activation among women with mild and moderate osteoarthritis,” Physical Therapy, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 1441–1452, 2010.
- M. R. Maly, P. A. Costigan, and S. J. Olney, “Contribution of psychosocial and mechanical variables to physical performance measures in knee osteoarthritis,” Physical Therapy, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 1318–1328, 2005.
- D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, “The timed “up and go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 142–148, 1991.
- A. A. Wright, C. E. Cook, G. D. Baxter, J. D. Dockerty, and J. H. Abbott, “A comparison of 3 methodological approaches to defining major clinically important improvement of 4 performance measures in patients with hip osteoarthritis,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 319–327, 2011.
- J. H. Kellgren and J. S. Lawrence, “Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 494–502, 1957.
- S. Shapiro and M. Cameron, “Electrical currents,” in Physical Agents in Rehabilitation: From Research to Practice, M. Cameron, Ed., pp. 249–254, Saunders Elsevier Science, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2003.
- J. Felício, Efeito do treinamento aeróbio associado ao treinamento resistido nas variáveis hemodinâmicas, flexibilidade e força em indivíduos hipertensos [Dissertation], Universidade Estadual Paulista, 2008.
- J. T. Farrar, J. P. Young Jr., L. LaMoreaux, J. L. Werth, and R. M. Poole, “Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale,” Pain, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 149–158, 2001.
- N. Bellamy, W. W. Buchanan, C. H. Goldsmith, J. Campbell, and L. W. Stitt, “Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1833–1840, 1988.
- M. I. Fernandes, Tradução e validação do questionário de qualidade de vida específico para osteoartrose WOMAC (Western Ontario McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index) para a língua portuguesa [Dissertation], Universidade Federal de São Paulo, 2003.
- H. Chakraborty and H. Gu, A Mixed Model Approach for Intent-to-Treat Analysis in Longitudinal Clinical Trials with Missing Values, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, 2009.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1988.
- Copyright ©, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA, 2002–2008.
- M. G. Rosemffet, E. E. Schneeberger, G. Citera et al., “Effects of functional electrostimulation on pain, muscular strength, and functional capacity in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee,” Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 246–249, 2004.
- T. M. Steffen, T. A. Hacker, and L. Mollinger, “Age- and gender-related test performance in community-dwelling elderly people: Six-Minute Walk Test, Berg Balance Scale, Timed Up & Go Test, and gait speeds,” Physical Therapy, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 128–137, 2002.
- M. C. Morrissey, “Electromyostimulation from a clinical perspective. A review,” Sports Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–41, 1988.
- M. Roig and W. D. Reid, “Electrical stimulation and peripheral muscle function in COPD: a systematic review,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 485–495, 2009.
- A. M. Imoto, A efetividade da eletroestimulação muscular na reabilitação de tecidos moles do joelho: revisão sistemática e metanálise [Dissertation], Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de São Paulo, 2006.
- B. M. Monaghan, B. Caulfield, and D. P. O'Mathúna, “Surface neuromuscular electrical stimulation for quadriceps strengthening pre and post total knee replacement,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD007177, 2008.
- K.-M. Kim, T. Croy, J. Hertel, and S. Saliba, “Effects of neuromuscular electrical stimulation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction on quadriceps strength, function, and patient-oriented outcomes: a systematic review,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 383–391, 2010.
- L. A. Talbot, J. M. Gaines, S. M. Ling, and E. J. Metter, “A home-based protocol of electrical muscle stimulation for quadriceps muscle strength in older adults with osteoarthritis of the knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1571–1578, 2003.
- P. Z. Nigri, M. S. Peccin, G. J. D. M. Almeida, and M. Cohen, “Translation, validation and cultural adaptation of the “activities of daily living” scale (ADLS),” Acta Ortopedica Brasileira, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 101–104, 2007.
- F. C. Marx, L. M. de Oliveira, and C. G. Bellini, “Tradução e Validação Cultural do Questionário Algofuncional de Lequesne para Osteoartrite de Joelhos e Quadris para a Língua Portuguesa,” Revista Brasileira de Reumatologia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 253–260, 2006.
- D. Moher, S. Hopewell, K. F. Schulz et al., “CONSORT 2010 explanation and elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 63, pp. 1–37, 2010.